Targaryen Madness and the Seven Deadly Sins

The Big G

A Filthy Ningen
Reaction score
"When a Targaryen is born the gods flip a coin" is the saying most of the people of Westeros say when talking about whether a Targaryen will be born great or born mad.

I was talking with a group about the odds of Jon being afflicted by the TM. This got me thinking about the other Targs and what made them and how oddly enough they correlate to the Seven deadly sins.

Aerys: Envy. To me Aerys madness stems from his paranoia which correlates with Envy. yes he had a bit of the rest tossed in but it was his envy/paranoia of others that caused his to go mad

Rhaegar: Lust. While on the surface Rhaegar was pretty normal. His obsession or lust (at least in the books) with the prophecy basically broke the realm.

Viserys: Greed. Much like his dear old dad Viserys has a bit of all sins but his defining sin is Greed. He wanted the Iron Throne and was willing to do just about anything to get it.

Daenerys: Pride. While I think Pride is prevalent in all of the Targs. I think Dany, because of her Dragons, takes this but also subverts this. Her love of the small folk and the titles they give her feeds her ego.

Jon: Wrath. One would think that envy would be Jon's sin given that he was raised as a bastard but really its Wrath. He keeps it bottled up well...but when you get him on the battlefield ala Battle of the bastards...watch out the combined force of the Wolfsblood and Dragonsblood comes out. If Dany brings the Fire...then Jon brings the blood.

It's definitely an interesting idea regarding the Targaryen bloodline.

Jon Snow's not a choir boy or anything, but I'm not sure wrath would be the best way to describe him. If anything, he is too honorable for his own good, a lot like his "father." He fell for Ramsay Bolton's tricks at the Battle fo the Bastards. And when he was unleashing his wrath on Ramsay, when he was so angry and probably would've been justifiable to beat Ramsay to death, he ultimately stopped.

The chances of Jon being affected by his family's mental illness is less likely given that unlike most of the recent Targaryens, his parents weren't related.

Not to mention it'd be random as ****. Jon is about the most calm level headed person in the show. Through all the BS and the lying and the betrayal and the Westerosi political horse**** Jon keeps his **** together. Jon is the rock of the show. I mean Ramsay had to shoot Rickon with an arrow in front of Jon to really piss him off enough to do something monumentally stupid. So to have Jon suddenly become a raging lunatic in the last 6 episodes would be a wild bat**** u-turn.

Well he is fookin his auntie....strange things could happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"