• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The 10 greatest athletes...

Tiger Woods isn't there because you don't have to be an athlete to play golf and be successful.

john-daly.jpg

John090607_468x605.jpg

:doom: :doom: :doom:

Well seeing as there is zero running or physical contact in golf, it makes it tough...hell AROD is even a stretch. It should be all NBA, NFL, boxers and olympians. LeBron should be #1 followed by LT.

pssh horribly list, and soccer players should be on the list before nba players :D

Atleticism includes more than running...it includes strength and jumping.

NBA players are the ultimate athletes because they would be physicauly suited to play any sport. LeBron James could play in the NFL, MLS, and compete at least due to his athleticism. Same for Kobe. Imagine one of them as a goalie or wide reciever..

soccer includes jumping and strength as well....

i would like to see lebron go out and run for a 90 minute game, would be awesome....

Having played both competitivley, there is a lot more excersize in basketball than soccer. For 75% of the time in soccer your standing around or at worst doing a jog. Rarely do you have a full on sprint.

I am not dissing soccer, but it's true. If I am a striker and the other teams shooting on my net, am I still running around? Now, I am standing still at midfield. Midfielders DO run a lot, but even then thats mostly a quick jog at best.

Basketball is many bursts of full speed while soccers many bursts of jogging. That said, the point was LeBron would be much better at soccer than any MLS player would be at basketball.

Tiger Woods isn't there because you don't have to be an athlete to play golf and be successful.
So, that applies to any sport, honestly. Just because you play a sport and make money doesn't automatically make you athletic. Tiger Woods, however, is athletic, and it's pretty clear from how dominant he is (and, BTW, John Daley is NOT dominant) that his athleticism has paid off in spades.

Kurt Schilling, an award winning pitcher, is not in good shape and about as injury prone as they come. Shaq has had moments in his career where he has been accused of being both fat and out of shape, yet continues to be on of his sports most recognized icons. Most NFL Linemen would probably be considered out of shape by general standards.

That's why this list is such bullsh**, you can't clearly define athlete by any given standard. I'm sure Lebron James is a freak of nature; but how would he look playing Golf, Baseball or Soccer lacking the coordination and skill in those specific areas. Probably not good, at least not good enough to look like a competitive threat, as he is in the NBA.

Yes, but LeBron would be more competitive in other sports than guys like Tiger, a soccer player, most MLBer's and NFLer's would be in others. To gage the best athletes would be to see how theyll all do in olympic trials.

Its there guys like Kobe, LeBron, Arod, LT would own everybody. If you wanna talk most dominant athletes ever in their prime, it goes

1. Jordan
2. Ali
3. Tiger
4. Babe
5. Tyson/Jerry Rice

you seem very biased towards american sports.

I don't think lebron would be very good at soccer in all actuality., even at goalie he would be outmatched.
and most soccer players make many sprints up and down the field, just like basketball players sprint up and down the courts.
in fact you were saying how forwards just "stand" around most of the time, i would beg to differ, a good forward would be up by midfield helping his team, and then waiting for perhaps a long pass to come through, and what would happen then, he would run to the ball, just like basketball players run up the court, and half the time they jog up the court or walk up the court....

so yesh, i don't believe basketball players are very much more athletic then soccer players, and i would argue soccer players are far more athletic then basketball players.

[YT]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BPPHDTMmCbA[/YT]

^^^
pure athletic ability, who could dominate in his time...

Kurt Schilling, an award winning pitcher, is not in good shape and about as injury prone as they come.

No, he isn't. He's out of shape because he's 40 years old. He is not injury prone. He has shoulder damage from playing for nearly 20 years. Baseball is a very physically demanding sport, especially for pitchers.

Schilling throws a baseball 60.5 feet in a tiny, imaginary zone. He can only throw it in, at most, 25% of this imaginary zone. If he doesn't, the ball will go 400+ feet. He also throws different types of pitches and all of them may not be working for him on every single outing. He has to utilize all of these pitches, mixing them up and their locations in order to get hitters out.

I could go on.

Another thing, Curt Schilling has never won a Cy Young Award (award for pitchers in baseball). The only award he has won in his career is the 2001 World Series MVP and he shares that with Randy Johnson (they were named co-MVPs).

I'm sure Lebron James is a freak of nature; but how would he look playing Golf, Baseball or Soccer lacking the coordination and skill in those specific areas. Probably not good, at least not good enough to look like a competitive threat, as he is in the NBA.

How would Tiger look in baseball, soccer, football, or basketball?

1. Jordan
2. Ali
3. Tiger
4. Babe
5. Tyson/Jerry Rice

Barry Bonds in his prime was a better athlete than Babe Rut

Yeah, pretty ****e list overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads