• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics The "Best attempt (so far) to make Spidey single" poll

stillanerd

Sidekick
Reaction score
As many Spider-Man fans know, various writers, artists, and editors at Marvel have long held that the marriage between Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson was a mistake for a variety of reasons. Most of them revolve around some variation or another that it makes a character originally conceived of as a teenage superhero too old and thus unrelatable to the target audience, a position held by the current EIC Joe Quesada. Since at least 1995, there have at least four attempts to get rid of this marriage. The question is not so much whether or not there was a need to do this in the first place, however. Rather, the question is, which was the BEST attempt Marvel has done to make Peter single. Was it:

A. The Clone Saga--The idea behind this one was that the Peter Parker readers had been following since ASM #149 was actually a clone and that the “real” Peter Parker was actually roaming the countryside calling himself Ben Reilly. This allowed for Peter and a then pregnant MJ to leave the title, without either of them being killed off or divorced, while Ben Reilly “reclaimed” the mantle of Spider-Man. At least that was the plan anyway.

B. Mary Jane “dies” in an airplane explosion--This involved MJ being blown up by a stalker while flying to a photo op and is believed to be killed. In a storyline that seemed to be all too familiar to what Gerry Conway did during his tenure on the title, a bereaved Peter was comforted by the best friend of the woman he loved, and that the two of them would end up becoming romantically involved. Only this time, instead of MJ helping Peter get over the loss of his girlfriend, Gwen Stacy, it was MJ’s best friend and Gwen’s cousin, Jill Stacy, who helped Peter get over the loss of his wife, MJ, and who ended falling in love with him.

C. Peter and MJ mutually separate--This happened right after Peter discovered that MJ was still alive and was being held captive by the stalker. After they reunited, Peter tried to pick up where things left off between the two of them, which basically meant lots and lots of sex. Unfortunately, because of MJ’s ordeal (or perhaps because of her husband’s overactive libido) she had trouble re-adjusting and decided that it would be best for her and Peter to go their separate ways. She moved out to Hollywood to pursue her acting career, while Peter was left home in New York.

D. One More Day--The most recent attempt. This, as everyone knows by now, is when Peter and MJ, in order to save the life of Aunt May, mutually bargained with Marvel’s equivalent of the devil, Mephisto, to erase their marriage from existence. As a consequence, Peter and MJ were only a couple but never married and recently broke-up. And apparently, no one knows Peter is Spider-Man. And he’s living with his Aunt in the house that burnt down. And he has mechanical web-shooters again. And Harry Osborn’s alive. And who knows what else.

Okay, vote and comment away.

Option C.

Best of a bad bunch.

Option C was the best conceptually, but the actual execution of it was godawful (courtesy of Howard Mackie). Option D is poor storytelling, but the actual writing and art of the story was pretty nice. And Option B was just flat out bad; nobody, for a second, believed that MJ was dead.

So I'm going to vote Option A. The Clone Saga was far from perfect--or even good--but at least we got a proper send off for Peter and MJ.

I'm not going to vote, but I was originally thinking that option A was the best idea at the time... fresh start and a clean slate. Unfortunately, I just couldn't hack the idea that all those Spider-Man stories I had read in 20 years were by some "fake" Spider-Man... THAT was the ONLY problem with the concept.

:csad: :csad: :csad:

None.
A: I didn't want to throw away 20 years Peter Parker for this. But as TMOB, I had this the only problem with the Clone Saga.
B: It could be good, but with Howard Mackie's crap stories it was everything but good.
C: It could be good, too, but for separation, it was horrible. With Peter always sighed for MJ, so it wasn't a separation at all.
D: Yeah, for separation it is good, but the OMD is everything but good, also.

None.
A: I didn't want to throw away 20 years Peter Parker for this. But as TMOB, I had this the only problem with the Clone Saga.
B: It could be good, but with Howard Mackie's crap stories it was everything but good.
C: It could be good, too, but for separation, it was horrible. With Peter always sighed for MJ, so it wasn't a separation at all.
D: Yeah, for separation it is good, but the OMD is everything but good, also.

Good point about #3, Traveller....he was too busy pining for MJ to actually be single.

The whole bunch is crap. D is the worst, and tragically the one that succeeded.

The better question....why keep trying to DO SOMETHING YOUR CUSTOMERS OVERWHELMINGLY DO NOT WANT??

Forcing it over and over. IT is BAD BUSINESS.

People didn't want a new Coca-cola...?...so (What if coke said)then let's NOT bring back classic coke, or bring it back for a month, and then KEEP putting out the NEW again in a different way until they FORCE customers to MIGHT LIKE it, or until you've destroyed the product!

That's what Joe is gonna do here...eventually, is destroy the product...hurt it in his crusade to take away MJ and the marriage, despite fan reaction being tremendously the opposite everytime it is tried.

Learn from history...please!

I'll go with C... it's the lesser of those evils... About Peter not getting over MJ... he was the dumpee, so he wasn't exactly ready to move on...
Here's what I don't get... They were Separated after the whole stalker thing... Joe hates the Watson-Parker union... WHY THE HELL DID HE OKAYED JMS' reuniting Peter and MJ? They were already apart... they could've had a mostly off panel divorce... instead of going to Mephisto with the Generous Devil Special deal thing...

I'd say Clone saga, like other's said, it was the most original. Not only that, if you look at all of those and forget what the agenda behind them was (to get Pete single) and judge them just based on the concept, I think the clone saga comes off as the best by far. It's the most interesting premise, and I think it would have been an interesting story to read had marvel written it without the idea to make Pete turn out to be the clone.

I'll go with C... it's the lesser of those evils... About Peter not getting over MJ... he was the dumpee, so he wasn't exactly ready to move on...
Here's what I don't get... They were Separated after the whole stalker thing... Joe hates the Watson-Parker union... WHY THE HELL DID HE OKAYED JMS' reuniting Peter and MJ? They were already apart... they could've had a mostly off panel divorce... instead of going to Mephisto with the Generous Devil Special deal thing...

MJ's return was something that Quesada inherited from his predecessor, it wasn't his decision.

MJ's return was something that Quesada inherited from his predecessor, it wasn't his decision.

Blader, I was wondering. I know you didn't like the marriage, and I can respect that, because everyone has different views on that subject...but did you actually like the story of OMD?

I mean, I can see why someone would want Pete to be single again, and I can see why people would like BND because from what I hear it's written pretty well, but (at least in my opinion) no matter how you look at it OMD was crap.

I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to be aggressive here, because I'm not, I was just wondering.

Blader, I was wondering. I know you didn't like the marriage, and I can respect that, because everyone has different views on that subject...but did you actually like the story of OMD?

I mean, I can see why someone would want Pete to be single again, and I can see why people would like BND because from what I hear it's written pretty well, but (at least in my opinion) no matter how you look at it OMD was crap.

I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to be aggressive here, because I'm not, I was just wondering.

1) I don't dislike the marriage, but I do think it hurts more than it helps. When it's written well (like last year's Sensational annual) it's great, but those kind of stories can only be written so often and, ultimately, there's really no where for the marriage to go. So I'm pretty indifferent towards a married Peter Parker--when it works, then no "single Peter" story can beat it,, but there are so few chances that it can work that I think the marriage is an unnecessary burden.

2) I think OMD was nicely written and the art was (mostly) good. One scene that I thought really came alive was when MJ is trying to talk to Peter in their final moments; there's a very palpable sense of urgency and you can really feel that vortex whipping around them. That being said, the actual plot of OMD was terrible: disjointed, overwrought, and too convenient. The fact that the story's climax is built on a deus ex machina of the worst kind speaks for itself.

The better question....why keep trying to DO SOMETHING YOUR CUSTOMERS OVERWHELMINGLY DO NOT WANT??

Forcing it over and over. IT is BAD BUSINESS.

People didn't want a new Coca-cola...?...so (What if coke said)then let's NOT bring back classic coke, or bring it back for a month, and then KEEP putting out the NEW again in a different way until they FORCE customers to MIGHT LIKE it, or until you've destroyed the product!

That's what Joe is gonna do here...eventually, is destroy the product...hurt it in his crusade to take away MJ and the marriage, despite fan reaction being tremendously the opposite everytime it is tried.

Learn from history...please!
That was my reaction to the Larsen interview too.

The fans didn't want Peter and MJ unhappy, divorced, separated, blown-up, or mind-wiped. WHY didn't they just GET A CLUE and leave it alone.

If they put HALF as much energy in writing interesting stories with MJ and the rest of Peter's supporting cast, as they did in cooking up convoluted ways to break them up... *sigh*... need I go on?

EXACTLY Captivated.

Why didn't Joe spend two plus years, like he states, making GREAT stories..bringing in Slott THEN...etc...instead of spending TWO years to get us to THIS POINT in his agenda???

No one has an answer for that one. What a waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"