The Greatest Director(s) of All-Time (Your opinion)

John Huston. Howard Hawks. Raoul Walsh. Jean Cocteau. Jean Renoir. Rene Clair. Luis Bunuel. Luchino Visconti. Hal Hashby. Milos Forman. Ernst Lubitsch. Frank Capra. Tod Browning. Sydney Lumet. Sergio Leone. Wolfgang Petersen.etc...(trying not to repeat the ones that have been mentioned before)

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Unfortunately Thieves Like Us never got proper recognition when it was released but it's really a great flick. It's too bad that most people haven't even heard of it due to how poorly it did at the time, 'cause it's up there with Altman's best.

But they're better than Scrooged. :cwink:

In general I don't think he deserves to be "laughed at", but in terms of this discussion when we're talking all time greats it's kinda like bringing up John Hughes, y'know?

Debatable. :)

Debatable. :)
Yeah, 'cause masterpieces of energetic genre bending filmmaking can't hold up to an abysmal Bill Murray comedy that didn't even strive for mediocrity. No wonder why you consider William ****ing Friedkin one of the greatest directors ever.

Yeah, 'cause masterpieces of energetic genre bending filmmaking can't hold up to an abysmal Bill Murray comedy that didn't even strive for mediocrity. No wonder why you consider William ****ing Friedkin one of the greatest directors ever.

Stop being such a condescending *****, I was only joking.

Ooh, nice. If we're going by animation, Dave Fleischer should definitely be on the list too.
Crap, you really do know your classic filmmakers:wow:

But yeah, that's a good guy to have featured on here. However, I would argue that some of his greatest work lies within the television genre, such as: 'Popeye' (which is really the only one I can list, as I've seen a few episodes myself).

Ooh, nice. If we're going by animation, Dave Fleischer should definitely be on the list too.
Ooh I love Fleischer.I would also say Bob Clampett.I'm not that big of a fan of Chuck Jones,and I don't really like Friz Freleng (Except for maybe his Pink Panther stuff and that Cat in the hat/Grinch special).

I guess its settled then, the responses seem to ROUGHLY come down to this.

1. Hitchcock
2. Kubrick
3. Spielberg

This is an impossible question for me, since I love so many directors works for different reasons.

Now if you ask, who is the most influential director of all time, I think that award would go to John Ford.

for people who say that Del Toro shouldn't count because his scripts are sketchy, this is a directors thread last time i checked

In no order:

Name; Occupation (Two definitive works by them)

Terence Mallick Filmmaker (The Thin Red Line/Badlands)
Orson Welles Filmmaker(A Touch of Evil/Citizen Kane)
Peter Chung Animator (Matriculated/Aeon Flux)
Richard Linklater Filmmaker (A Scanner Darkly/Waking Life)
Luis Bunuel Filmmaker (Un Chien Andalou/The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie)
Spike Jonze Promo Director/Filmmaker (Being John Malkovich/Adaptation)
Katsuhiro Ôtomo Animator (Akira/Memories)
Paul Verhoeven Filmmaker (Soldier of Orange/RoboCop)
Greg Araki Filmmaker (Mysterious Skin/Living End)
John Carpenter Filmmaker (The Thing/Halloween)
David Cronenberg Filmmaker (Videodrome/A History of Violence)
Ralph Bakshi Animator (Wizards/Hey Good Loking)
William Friedkin Filmmaker (Sorcerer/The French Connection)
Fritz Lang Filmmaker (M/Metropolis)

Peter Jackson for going from campy splatterfest fun to taking on the most monumental task in cinematic history and making me care more about a large ensemble of characters than any film or series of films ever has, and making me care more about a relationship between two characters than any film ever has in his next movie with one character that wasn't even actually on set during filming.

Mel Gibson for making a film that was life changing for me and many others and having more conviction than probably any film ever made, not to mention incredible technical quality, taking on the largest task ever in an acting and directing capacity simultaneously in a film that gave me a greater insight into what shaped the main character into who he was and how he effected the lives of all of those around him than I've ever seen in a stand alone film, and making the most intense survival film and the most thought provoking social commentary in one.

Guillermo Del Toro is another one of my favorites, he can make great "fun" action blockbusters and great art films that combine human elements with fantasy elements with great physical beauty and plenty of heart.

^ Haha. Maybe the most underrated filmmaker of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"