THe problem of comic book movies:

TruerToTheCore

Sidekick
Reaction score
Comic book writers aren't good enough to write screenplays
Movie writers fail too often to understand the concept of superheroes.

I agree except for the fact that none of that is true, like AT ALL.

A good portion of comic book writers don't JUST do comic books, they also do either do books, or movies, and if a "movie writer doesn't understand the concept of superheroes" as you put it, then that's just on the individual writer, not a reflection on "move writers" as a whole. Writers write, and most of them cross over into several different forms of writing, movies and comics are just two of those.

Comic book writers aren't good enough to write screenplays
Movie writers fail too often to understand the concept of superheroes.

Comicbook movies are like movies of any genre; some have great scripts, some have poor scripts, most are average. Some great scripts have been diluted in the direction (i.e. the original Batman Forever draft). But I'd argue that Superman and Superman II, Spider-Man 2, Batman Returns and others have great scripts.

I agree except for the fact that none of that is true, like AT ALL.

A good portion of comic book writers don't JUST do comic books, they also do either do books, or movies, and if a "movie writer doesn't understand the concept of superheroes" as you put it, then that's just on the individual writer, not a reflection on "move writers" as a whole. Writers write, and most of them cross over into several different forms of writing, movies and comics are just two of those.

Superheroes have an un-cinematic approach: The fact that you keep the secret that you are the hero. They are young boys' fantasies.
Movies are the opposite. They have the "LOOK WHAT I DID" approach.

That's what movie writers and even modern comic writers (who come from the film industry) do not understand. That's the reason they want to "Make things realistic" and seem to hate things like costumes and "secret identities"

Superheroes have an un-cinematic approach: The fact that you keep the secret that you are the hero. They are young boys' fantasies.

That's what movie writers and even modern comic writers (who come from the film industry) do not understand. That's the reason they want to "Make things realistic" and seem to hate things like costumes and "secret identities"

What? ...What? WHAT? That has nothing to do with anything. Your generalizations make my head spin.

Wow, that statement couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Especially since a comic book writer wrote the screenplay for what is already considered a Best Picture contender this year (The Changeling).

Yes, casue Iron Man was uber-realistic. And Batman no longer has a secret identity in the movies. Come to think of it, other than Iron Man, is there a single character in the movies who doesnt have a secret identity? Sure, in most of them, the villain finds out, or a supporting character (MJ, Alfred, etc.) find out, but this is also true in most of the comics...

This is a stupid argument.

I think all Superhero movies there has to be someone who knows the true identity of the hero . It makes the film more interesting and this also occurs in the comics.

Part of the problem with comic book movies is that comic book writers write in a way where much of the story is better imagined and is hard to explain visually. Movie writers are used to writing in a different way and may not be comic book fans or simply won't see things the way they do.

Plus comic book fans are very devoted to reading certain books and want to see the movie if it follows the book. It is hard to find movie writers that fully grasp these books and put it on film. They are passionate and sometimes hard to please. It's not like watching a regular movie.

I'm somewhat like that but maybe not quite a comic and movie geek like some people are. Strangely a friend passed along a video clip with a song that describes people like this. Check it out below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI7YMK9OPWo:boba:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"