The Pulp Fiction Thread(1896 to 1960)

SoulManX

The Inspector!
Reaction score
Pulp magazines (often referred to as "the pulps"), also collectively known as pulp fiction, were inexpensive fiction magazines. They were published from 1896 through the 1950s. The typical pulp magazine was seven inches wide by ten inches high, half an inch thick, and 128 pages long. Pulps were printed on cheap paper with ragged, untrimmed edges.

The name pulp comes from the cheap wood pulp paper on which the magazines were printed. Magazines printed on better paper were called "glossies" or "slicks." In their first decades, they were most often priced at ten cents per magazine, while competing slicks were 25 cents apiece. Pulps were the successor to the penny dreadfuls, dime novels, and short fiction magazines of the nineteenth century. Although many respected writers wrote for pulps, the magazines are best remembered for their lurid and exploitative stories and sensational cover art. Modern superhero comic books are sometimes considered descendants of "hero pulps"; pulp magazines often featured illustrated novel-length stories of heroic characters, such as The Shadow, Doc Savage, and The Phantom Detective.

This thread is a discussion of the pulp magazine era one I'm very fond of. Also we can talk about radio shows like the Lone Ranger or Orson Wells's as The Shadow.

I love the pulps. The one I've read the most is of course DOC SAVAGE. There were 181 original pulp novels of Doc that ran from 1933 to 1949. Starting in the 60's, Bantam books started reprinting them as paperbacks. Eventually they were all reprinted along with several new novels of his adventures. I have all of the paperbacks and some of the old original pulps. They are also currently being reprinted in large magazine size format, with two stories per issue, original pulp art covers, and the original interior art and articles as well as having new editorial essays about the books and pulps in general.

The others I have read the most of are THE AVENGER, THE SHADOW, and THE SPIDER. The Avenger and Shadow are also being reprinted in the large pulp covers and interiors editions like Doc Savage. All of the Avenger pulps were reprinted in paperback in the 70's....and some of the Shadow and the Spider have been put in paperback also.

The pulp era produced a lot of great work for it's time. Many heroes and popular characters were either created for them or were enhanced by the pulp novels written about them.

For fun action packed adventure i definately recommend everyone check out a pulp hero and read a few.

Pulp Fiction is something I always thought was cool, but is not that often I cross into a pulp magazines, but sometimes I'm lucky. The ones I did found and had (not that much though) was Buck Rogers, The Shadow and I remember I had one Weird Tales too.

I love the pulps. The one I've read the most is of course DOC SAVAGE. There were 181 original pulp novels of Doc that ran from 1933 to 1949. Starting in the 60's, Bantam books started reprinting them as paperbacks. Eventually they were all reprinted along with several new novels of his adventures. I have all of the paperbacks and some of the old original pulps. They are also currently being reprinted in large magazine size format, with two stories per issue, original pulp art covers, and the original interior art and articles as well as having new editorial essays about the books and pulps in general.

The others I have read the most of are THE AVENGER, THE SHADOW, and THE SPIDER. The Avenger and Shadow are also being reprinted in the large pulp covers and interiors editions like Doc Savage. All of the Avenger pulps were reprinted in paperback in the 70's....and some of the Shadow and the Spider have been put in paperback also.

The pulp era produced a lot of great work for it's time. Many heroes and popular characters were either created for them or were enhanced by the pulp novels written about them.

For fun action packed adventure i definately recommend everyone check out a pulp hero and read a few.

I love the old Black Mask books:up:

I've been looking at covers for the Black Mask...looks good, just haven't found any to read.

Cover for the first Doc Savage pulp.

docsavage13-1.jpg

A Shadow pulp.

shadow-1oct37.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"