• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Return of Horror Comics

Scarletspiderman

Civilian
Reaction score
In the 1950s a new breed of comic book became a phenomena, the horror comic. The comics of EC Comics and comics like DC's House of Secrets, and Ghosts, and Marvel's own Fear book, horror comics exploded in popularity. Then, much like the video game industry in the early 90s, the US government stepped in disputing the graphic violence in horror comics. So the Comics Code Authority was born and forced horror comics to become a thing of the past, never to see the light of day again....until now!

The Comics Code Authority is gone, and horror comics are making a huge come back with the likes of IDW's Silent Hill and Clive Barker comics and Marvel's new miniseries Haunt of Horror.

So why am I giving this little history lesson? To make one singular point. It's time for the classic horror anthology books to make their return! Although I wasn't around in the glory days of the 50s, I LOVED those old horror anthology books and read whatever odd issue I could get my grubby hands on growing up in the 80s and 90s. Although horror comics are on the rise again, the horror ANTHOLOGY comic still hasn't quite made its comeback.

I think the time is now for the great EC Comics to make their comeback. Yes, they did reprint their old comics in the 90s but those reprints are now just as hard to find. I would LOVE to see EC publish new reprints, maybe in a TPB form, and start publishing new horror anthology books again. Ditto for the giants Marvel and DC. I hope Marvel continues this Haunt of Horror series beyond the 3rd issue, and more!

Of course I'm not aware of every single comic book title on the market today, so if are any current horror anthology books going right now by all means share them here in this topic and share your own thoughts on this revival of the horror comic. :spidey:

I first got into comics when my uncle gave me some Vault of Horror issues.
That stuff was awesome I would love to see it come back.

Scarletspiderman said:
In the 1950s a new breed of comic book became a phenomena, the horror comic. The comics of EC Comics and comics like DC's House of Secrets, and Ghosts, and Marvel's own Fear book, horror comics exploded in popularity. Then, much like the video game industry in the early 90s, the US government stepped in disputing the graphic violence in horror comics. So the Comics Code Authority was born and forced horror comics to become a thing of the past, never to see the light of day again....until now!

The Comics Code Authority is gone, and horror comics are making a huge come back with the likes of IDW's Silent Hill and Clive Barker comics and Marvel's new miniseries Haunt of Horror.

So why am I giving this little history lesson? To make one singular point. It's time for the classic horror anthology books to make their return! Although I wasn't around in the glory days of the 50s, I LOVED those old horror anthology books and read whatever odd issue I could get my grubby hands on growing up in the 80s and 90s. Although horror comics are on the rise again, the horror ANTHOLOGY comic still hasn't quite made its comeback.

I think the time is now for the great EC Comics to make their comeback. Yes, they did reprint their old comics in the 90s but those reprints are now just as hard to find. I would LOVE to see EC publish new reprints, maybe in a TPB form, and start publishing new horror anthology books again. Ditto for the giants Marvel and DC. I hope Marvel continues this Haunt of Horror series beyond the 3rd issue, and more!

Of course I'm not aware of every single comic book title on the market today, so if are any current horror anthology books going right now by all means share them here in this topic and share your own thoughts on this revival of the horror comic. :spidey:
I love those EC comics both the Horror and Scifi comics, I got some reprints of eBay. I also wish they made some reprints those Kirby monsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"