• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Rising Influence of China upon Hollywood.

frankly, i don't care if studios have to cut stuff out just to please the Chinese. just as long as it doesn't affect other countries' versions.

It kinds of works like the Texas Schoolbook situation though. Essentially, since Texas is largest purchaser of schoolbooks, textbook companies cater to them and write the books according to their education standards (Which now include de-emphasizing the historical role of Thomas Jefferson, who despite being one of the founders of the nation and a slave owner was determined by the Texan government to be somehow too liberal) essentially letting Texas influence the curriculum of the rest of the country.

The higher the market share that China represents for movies, the more studios will take the Chinese governments standards into consideration when choosing which stories to greenlight, where to film etc.

Films now are being edited, but even then studios are shaping characters and stories to make it easier for films to clear China's standards.

The Dark Knight lost quite a bit of money after the Chinese government blocked its release, leading it to be the number one pirated movie in China up to that point. If that film was made today, the whole Lau sequence likely would not be included or it would have taken place in some place other than China.

Well that movie is off to a good start.

Coming 2017....Muppets Take Shanghai

Anyway, this is such a strange business venture for Hollywood. As long as the story isn't compromise, I don't mind the rising influence of China. But it is funny to see the pandering towards that market. Exclusive Chinese version of American movies with extended scenes of China or Chinese actors.

That being said, that's why I didn't like the new 'Karate Kid'. It was a cinematic post card with sweeping shots of China. And never at one point does the movie satirized Chinese society or their politics (like the characters remarking on Communism or cultural difference) ..because they can't since the film was funded by the Chinese. It's a form of propaganda in many ways.

Coming 2017....Muppets Take Shanghai

Anyway, this is such a strange business venture for Hollywood. As long as the story isn't compromise, I don't mind the rising influence of China. But it is funny to see the pandering towards that market. Exclusive Chinese version of American movies with extended scenes of China or Chinese actors.

That being said, that's why I didn't like the new 'Karate Kid'. It was a cinematic post card with sweeping shots of China. And never at one point does the movie satirized Chinese society or their politics (like the characters remarking on Communism or cultural difference) ..because they can't since the film was funded by the Chinese. It's a form of propaganda in many ways.

It's not like something like this doesn't happen in Hollywood. Look at Transformers and how it glorify the US military, partially because the Military gave quite a lot of assistance to Michael Bay.

Moreover, not every film set in China needs to be a social commentary. If the original version of the karate kid didn't satirize the american society, why should the remake do so?

The original Karate Kid took place in America. Karate Kid 2 on the other hand....I haven't seen in a while.

BTW I'm not saying it should be heavy handed either. The remake was a fish out of water story set in modern China. I just think China is such a powerhouse in a unique political and social situation, and the moor played it safe because it had to. I'm not saying the remake should treat China like how 'borune Legacy' treated the Phillipines or anything (which was hiliriously wrong). Or how Taken 2 treated poor Turkey.

Last edited:
Basically what it boils down to is that Hollywood hates to pass up international money period, so they will sometimes cater to overseas before the U.S. because that cheddar is precious to them. It's like they sat up one day and was like, "wait a minute....the yen and those euros can be converted into dollars!"

As I understand it, it's illegal to sell products with Nazi insignia in Germany, and possibly other European countries. That's why everything was covered in Hydra emblems. It was all merchandising as opposed to marketing.
It's more to do with how Marvel had more to gain with selling Hydra merchandise, considering it is a fictional organisation they created and own the rights to, which makes it a more lucrative product than historically accurate Nazi merchandise which is in the public domain, so to speak.

Let's not forget that the films are a promotion of the Marvel brand.

There's not going to be Chinese influence in every genre.

You are not going to see any Chinese influence from anyone who's worked with Judd Apatow or Adam McKay or any other comedy director. That's not happening. The only Chinese thing you might see in non-action comedies is if the characters in the film order Chinese food or go to a Chinese restaurant or its set in Hong Kong. That's as close as Chinese as the comedies will get to having Chinese influence.

Comedies are usually catered to a domestic audience anyways so Chinese influence does not matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliSan
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"