Superman: The Movie The Three-Hour Extended Cut of Superman: The Movie Is Finally Getting a Home Release

Yup. Now have a reason to buy the original film since I only own the Donner Cut of Superman II.

well since i don't have blu-ray only way i can see this is if it's on itunes.

i had heard talk of 3 hour cut in 1990's but i thought the expanded cut had eather restored or had as deleted scenes all the extra footage from early 1980's 2 night showing of superman which is how i first saw original film.like with empire strikes back i saw superman II before original film.yes i am aware i am showing my age:cwink:

Hopefully one day Warner Bros will finally, finally put out a director's cut or extended version of Batman Forever.

I really want to see the extended cuts of Suoerman III and IV too.

So, sorry wait, the 'Extended Cut' released and placed within the box set from a couple of years ago is NOT the definitive version, there is a longer version coming. Talk about double dip !! :woot:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but the 3 hour cut is not worth watching. It just makes everything longer for no reason, it's clear why the extra scenes were deleted in the first place, and a lot of it actually detracts from the film.

The most worthwhile additions are:

- Superman saving Miss Tessmacher from Lex's pit of big cats
- There's more on Lois' interview with the Native American
- More disaster movie action during the earthquake

But most of it is just padding and jokes which fall flat. The scenes of the Metropolis cops pursuing Otis? This is now twice as long, for no real reason. There are longer establishing shots. There's stuff we don't need to see, like Clark and Lois getting a taxi after the alleyway mugger incident. And so on.

We get a lot more of Lex, Otis and Miss Tessmacher messing around, and most of it is simply not very good. The whole sequence of them changing the nuclear codes and encountering the soldiers on the bridge is now much longer, and full of gags, but ruins the underlying danger of what's happening. In fact that sums up my feelings on the 3 hour cut as a whole; I thought it would make the film seem more epic, but it actually makes it more of a comedy. The only addition which is funny is when Otis follows Lex around, trying to squeeze the water out of his robe.

The best thing about the 3 hour cut is that is shows you what a film editor does. By looking at this and then the normal version or the Donner cut, you can see that by trimming the fat, making everything more succinct, clearer and pacier, you can create a better movie.

Last edited:
Amen to that. I don't understand the handful of people calling this the best version of the movie!?
No way 35 minutes of padding is worth it to get 3 minutes of interesting material. It's a clinic on WHY stuff is cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"