• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

'thejon93' Gives You Tips on "How to Write a Screenplay"

There's a joke in the script that I like, where a gang member makes fun of the kid by making reference to batman.
You should save that joke then. As well as the script. So that if one day you feel like expanding on it, you can do so.

Just make it subtle to yourself and the audience. Don't try and force your point, or you'll end up simply forcing it down your audience's throats without having them really care about it. Make everything seem subtle. From characters, to the story, etc. It's best to keep everything flowing.

Alright thanks.

I'm a very visual person, I get really excited about camera angles and add them in. I don't do it alot, just ones that I really want to express.

Alright thanks.

I'm a very visual person, I get really excited about camera angles and add them in. I don't do it alot, just ones that I really want to express.
I see, mate. Anyhow, here's another tip (Basically, a part of a previous post of mine, that I found to be quite a helpful lesson, in-return.).

Lesson #16:
Get some fresh ideas, Hollywood! There's loads out there if you even had the audacity to open up your window. Want a fresh new movie? Ask yourself questions that you've never heard before. Why does the window squeak when I open it? Why does the Earth rotate? Why does the cat outside stare at me? Ask yourselves questions and expand upon them. There's your originality.

Lesson #6:
Don't steal ideas from other works/movies! The one thing you should never do if you look to take your screenplay out of the generic territory is base it off of other writer's works or movies. You know what you want to see, you just have to find a way to...

I gotta admit . . . I don't totally agree with this one. Good writers are inspired by others; great artists straight-up steal! Of course, expand or simplify the idea and make it your own, but you'd be surprised to learn how much of this world's greatest art has all been done before.

Lesson #9:
Read a book! You may consider this to be the equivalent to watching a movie, but it's not. Reading can expand your imagination even further to picture what you'd like to see up on the big-screen... Which, in reality, is what your screenplay could eventually be translated into.

This one is the best tip you can give any aspiring writer.:up:

I gotta admit . . . I don't totally agree with this one. Good writers are inspired by others; great artists straight-up steal! Of course, expand or simplify the idea and make it your own, but you'd be surprised to learn how much of this world's greatest art has all been done before.

This one is the best tip you can give any aspiring writer.:up:
Thanks for the feedback, Assassin. And, yes. I definitely see your point. However, my real meaning behind that tip is don't just simply watch movies to get your ideas from. Whether they be good or bad, it doesn't matter. Base your ideas off of the things you see around you and the things you know best. Besides, what gives us great action? Something we've never seen before. What us great comedy? Something we've never (quite) heard before. The list goes on. Just try to be original, for the most part, is the message I'm trying to get across. :yay:

Yeah, I know what you meant. I just like playing devil's advocate. Have you written anything besides the Spider-Man script?

Yeah, I know what you meant. I just like playing devil's advocate. Have you written anything besides the Spider-Man script?
Nothing much beyond that. I'll be honest, I'm saving up a lot of my original ideas for the future, which is why I stick to writing such scripts/fan-fics. Trust me when I say, I'd love to get all the praise in the world for my writing from people online. But, I'd rather save it up for the future.

So, if you hear me on a director's commentary for a film by the name of 'The Amazing Spider-Man' around the year 2020. That'd be me. :woot:

Well, even if you aren't posting them up, you're still constantly writing aren't you? It's really the only way to improve your craft.

Well, even if you aren't posting them up, you're still constantly writing aren't you? It's really the only way to improve your craft.
Yeah. I do write a lot. Most of it is just for practice. One night, I watched 'The Terminator' and jotted down the movie scene-for-scene while I watched because I had the "Script-to-Screen" feature on my DVD of the movie. So, I thought I'd do a little practice with that. It was really quite helpful. I plan on writing more fan-fics/scripts in the future, for this site, though. So, I guess I'm working at improving and it's quite fun to do so.

Well I finished my Left 4 Dead script. I'm quite happy with it. It needs some polishing but other than that it's pretty good. It runs a brisk 95 pages. This is a road zombie movie, so it's fairly fast paced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"