Superman Returns Things Cut From Script

bosef982

Superhero
Reaction score
I got the original script for Superman Returns and while I love this film, I have to say there were some things that they cut and even did not film that would've added to the movie.

First and foremost, the opening is radically different in the script. One, it opens with the curtain, a boy's voiceover, and with the actual footage (black and white) of Jor-El sending baby Kal-El off in Superman: The Movie.

The bar scene before the plane scene is actually quite different, with Clark drinking Jimmy under the table (which explains Jimmy's somewhat drunking behavior in that scene because of editing most of this out) and Clark drinking more and more and more as he thinks of everything.

During the plane scene, Superman actually gets blown back by the reignition boosters as he approaches and then has to regroup and go after it again.

Perhaps one of the largest differences is that New Krypton was suppose to look like Superman's fortress and be crystal -- not rock, at least how it's described in the script. Also, there are breif shots and hints of Kryptonian crystal vehicles and weapons.

Perry talks about how New Krypton is continuing to grow out somewhere by Saturn and Jupiter, and is still laced with Kryptonite.

Things that were dsicarded were a scene where instead of testing the crystal in his train set basement, Luthor tests the crystal in the artic, creating a new Fortress which Richard, Lois, and Clark fly out to investigate. While they do it, Clark somehow manages to sink the Fortress, destroying any evidence of it.

Also, during the earthquake scene, they did have scene with tidal waves bashing Metropolis and of Superman having to lift an entire subway train out of the subway.

Wish we coudl've seen this -- but then again, scripts are almost always better than what makes it on screen because the budget of a script is the cost of your local Kinkos.

Those scenes sound very interesting; it'd be great if they made it past the editing room. Bosef, how would you rate the script you read compared to the final filmed version? And is the script available for reading?

Sounds pretty good. I ordered the script from Amazon and hope to receive it this week.

Interestingly enough...none of that screams "depth" to me. There had to be more that wasn't included in this film.

The Guard said:
Interestingly enough...none of that screams "depth" to me. There had to be more that wasn't included in this film.

Actually, I posted this in the DVD thread, yesterday:

I just got the SR: Shooting Script that I pre-ordered months ago, and it's brilliant (I'm not done with it...I just got it 20 minutes ago). It explains SO much, it has more heart and just runs SO smoothly.

They should have kept it this way, with people complaining about plot holes and such, even if it surpassed 3 hours. But Singer and CO. were forced to cut it down to 2 1/2 hours, to fit the summer box office formula. Sometimes the rules can be broken. They should have kept it the way it was!

It starts of with homage to the Donner movies by beginning with the kid and the comic [<<I don't care too much for this comic part...but it's OK]. It has an introduction of Krypton's doom, by using the vintage footage, but it's all black and white, except for "the child's blue, red, and yellow garments." It shows the dialogue between Jor-El and Lara about Kal-El - being stronger, quicker, but isolated and alone. Then it goes into Jor-El's famous "he'll never be alone" speech. Krypton explodes as the ship flies off into outer space and then the screen goes black. William's theme reigns in.

Then, "Majestic titles fill the screen...many by Lois Lane: METEOR SHOWER BAFFLES SCIENTISTS

CAPED WONDER STUNS CITY

I SPENT THE NIGHT WITH SUPERMAN, SUPERMAN STOPS CRIMINAL MASTERMIND, LEX LUTHER

LEX GETS LIFE THANKS TO MAN OF STEEL: SWEARS REVENGE

[Here’s the good stuff]
ASTRONOMERS FIND KRYPTON INTACT -- SIGNS OF LIFE

SUPERMAN DISAPPEARS.

Then they describe how the world is besieged with "all manners of trouble": war, crime, famine. And that soon these headlines push Superman to the back pages, and after years he's faded from the public consciousness. One final header:

WILL HE EVER RETURN? [But it could also be: WHY THE WORLD DOESN'T NEED SUPERMAN]

And then we have a WONDERFUL Krypton scene...it's breathtaking to read and imagine how this would have been on the big screen. To cut this down kal-El reaches Krypton, but it's in pieces, and many of them are fast moving asteroids. The ship is huge because he is sleeping in a pod chamber that open up, and the consol is a completely different space than the pod chamber and he's able to stand and walk. We see reminisce of a once great civilization, and Kal-El sees, for the first time his family legacy and realizes their fate. He is astonished but the Planet is killing him. Hand shakes, can barely stand, and starts to sweat. And then the asteroids begin bombarding the ship, chipping at it, but the ship heals itself, but the hits keep coming harder and faster, Superman falls and is barley able to stand up, he is able to muster enough energy to crawl into the pod chamber, but not before punching in a command in the consol and uttering one word: home.

After that it cuts to the Kent Farm at night, Martha and Ben are just finishing a game of scrabble, there’s dialogue, they start to clean up, and then the house begins to shake and rustle. BEN sees the spaceship crash, and is about to call the police, but Martha interferes, and tells him it was just a meteorite that didn't completely disintegrate on it's entry to earth. She tells him that she'll see him tomorrow, but he is insisting that he stay and contact the sheriff. She finally coaxes him to leave but he knows something’s up...he just plain figures out. And reluctantly gets in his truck, but not before stating: "Martha Kent, I knew you'd be trouble."

She drives to the scene, it's pretty much the same as the movie, but when Clark collapses in Martha's hands he utters one word: Mom.

Cut to: Venderworth Mansion...This is where I stopped!

Here's some more...

Actually, the return sequence IS in the script so that's not too much of a tweak. The bigger problem is Ben Hubbard's reinsertion. It's so obvious that he knows...

Martha: It's just a meteorite...[see previous post]

He looks at her skeptically. She checks her watch.

Martha (cont'd) Listen it's late. I had a nice dinner and...

Ben: But--

Martha: I'll see you tomorrow night, Ben. For Bingo.

Ben: Martha--

Martha (firm) Tomorrow. Bingo.

She looks at him, stonefaced. He takes another look outside -- and at her, and realizes what's happening. He sighs and shakes his head.

Ben: A meteorite?

She nods.

Ben (cont'd) Martha Kent, I knew you'd be trouble.

It makes more sense then the theatrical version. He lives next door how could he not have heard or seen the ship upon entry?

Guard,

Retro posted a link to an interesting article in the DVD discussion thread which describes a number of scenarios/scenes not featured in the movie, which I think would have added a bit more to the film on the whole . . . although they would have most likely pushed Returns over the three hour mark. Regardless, they sound interesting to me. You should check it out.

I am so looking forward to reading the script.

In regards to the Ben Hubbard scene, it still made sense to the general public because Ben Hubbard wasn't mentioned in the movie. We knew he was supposed to be in it and lived next door. I can see why they eliminated the Ben Hubbard scenario.

I also don't think they really needed the Krypton scene although it would have made for a cool visual.

what about the rumors that lex luthor was behind the whole thing with scientists finding krypton, as a scheme to get superman off of earth? was that anywhere in the script?

^I believe it was in the novel but not the script.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

Motown Marvel said:
what about the rumors that lex luthor was behind the whole thing with scientists finding krypton, as a scheme to get superman off of earth? was that anywhere in the script?

Actually there is a line when they first enter the FOS to indicate this:

Kitty gazes at a TALL, ADJOINING CHAMBER. Oddly, a large section of the wall is missing, like something huge grew there and broke off.

Kitty: what is this his garage?

Lex: You're not so far off, kitty. The leading theory is that he took off in a futile attempt to find his homeworld.

Stanford stilfles a laugh. Lex looks at him, cross. Kitty suspiciously looks at Stanford, then at lex.

Lex (cont'd): If so, even he would have to rely on a craft of some kind, and I'll bet Gertrude's last dollar that's exactly what used to be parked there.

Kitty: So, did he?

Lex: did he what?

Kitty: Take off for his homeworld?

Lex (looking at Stanford) Well...we gave him a little push.

BMM said:
Guard,

Retro posted a link to an interesting article in the DVD discussion thread which describes a number of scenarios/scenes not featured in the movie, which I think would have added a bit more to the film on the whole . . . although they would have most likely pushed Returns over the three hour mark. Regardless, they sound interesting to me. You should check it out.

This, it's actually VERY interesting:

http://supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=sr-cutscenes

And comes with a lot of visuals to prove his points...amazing article! This movie should have gone over the 3 hour mark in my opinion.

bosef982 said:
I got the original script for Superman Returns and while I love this film, I have to say there were some things that they cut and even did not film that would've added to the movie.

First and foremost, the opening is radically different in the script. One, it opens with the curtain, a boy's voiceover, and with the actual footage (black and white) of Jor-El sending baby Kal-El off in Superman: The Movie.

The bar scene before the plane scene is actually quite different, with Clark drinking Jimmy under the table (which explains Jimmy's somewhat drunking behavior in that scene because of editing most of this out) and Clark drinking more and more and more as he thinks of everything.

During the plane scene, Superman actually gets blown back by the reignition boosters as he approaches and then has to regroup and go after it again.

Perhaps one of the largest differences is that New Krypton was suppose to look like Superman's fortress and be crystal -- not rock, at least how it's described in the script. Also, there are breif shots and hints of Kryptonian crystal vehicles and weapons.

Perry talks about how New Krypton is continuing to grow out somewhere by Saturn and Jupiter, and is still laced with Kryptonite.

Things that were dsicarded were a scene where instead of testing the crystal in his train set basement, Luthor tests the crystal in the artic, creating a new Fortress which Richard, Lois, and Clark fly out to investigate. While they do it, Clark somehow manages to sink the Fortress, destroying any evidence of it.

Also, during the earthquake scene, they did have scene with tidal waves bashing Metropolis and of Superman having to lift an entire subway train out of the subway.

Wish we coudl've seen this -- but then again, scripts are almost always better than what makes it on screen because the budget of a script is the cost of your local Kinkos.
Superman4ever said:
Actually there is a line when they first enter the FOS to indicate this:

Kitty gazes at a TALL, ADJOINING CHAMBER. Oddly, a large section of the wall is missing, like something huge grew there and broke off.

Kitty: what is this his garage?

Lex: You're not so far off, kitty. The leading theory is that he took off in a futile attempt to find his homeworld.

Stanford stilfles a laugh. Lex looks at him, cross. Kitty suspiciously looks at Stanford, then at lex.

Lex (cont'd): If so, even he would have to rely on a craft of some kind, and I'll bet Gertrude's last dollar that's exactly what used to be parked there.

Kitty: So, did he?

Lex: did he what?

Kitty: Take off for his homeworld?

Lex (looking at Stanford) Well...we gave him a little push.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

this script being sold at Amazon, is this the same as the supposed leaked script on the net several months back?

Those scenes would have lent NOTHING to the drastically underacted Superman (robot) and the poorly acted Lex.

I still can't get over Superman's complete lack of a personality. "I know, Lois," "Hello, Lois," "Goodbye, Lois." Did he actually ever say anything?

Where's the cocky "Something wrong with the elevator?"

****ing awful, awful, awful movie. I'm so pissed.

yeah. those scenes wouldnt have changed the fate of this failed movie.

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO SUPERHERO FILMS WHO DISREGARD THE COMICS...
DOOM COMES TO THE IGNORANCE & ARROGANCE OF THOSE WHO UNDERESTIMATE THE COMICS BELOW THEIR OWN VISION

Other things cut:

a good story
good action
a well crafted Lex Luthor and plan

One thing that was in line to be cut, but was somehow overlooked: Jason

SUCK my ballz, haters!
SR KICKED A$$!!!!!!

Yes, it was a perfect film. Not one fault at all.

Lets all chant Singer's name.

It's like a cult round here.

And I did enjoy seeing Superman back on the big screen but it was ultimately a disappointing rehash of the first film.

bane said:
SUCK my ballz, haters!
SR KICKED A$$!!!!!!

Wow, finally a good argument on why the film is good. All the defenders of the film need to get behind this Einstein. Your new leader......Bane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"