Three More Spin-offs in Development

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
HBO Developing Three More 'Game of Thrones' Spinoffs: Nymeria, Flea Bottom, The Sea Snake
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...es-spinoffs-nymeria-flea-bottom-the-sea-snake
One of the projects, working title 9 Voyages, is from Rome creator Bruno Heller and follows Lord Corlys Velaryon, a.k.a. The Sea Snake, the Lord of the Tides and head of House Velaryon. The character also appears in the upcoming greenlit GoT prequel House of the Dragon, where he's played by actor Steve Toussaint. So this effort represents a potential spinoff of a character from a series that hasn't yet been shot (let alone aired).

A second project revolves around the warrior queen Princess Nymeria, a revered ancestor of House Martell who founded of the kingdom of Dorne (she became so legendary in the realm that two characters bore her name in the original series – Sand Snake Nymeria Sand and Arya's direwolf).

The third project is set in the notorious King's Landing slum of Flea Bottom – the maze of tight streets in the capitol city where characters like Davos Seaworth and Gendry Baratheon were born.

Okay, Flea Bottom is an automatic no from me. There’s just no way that has anything interesting to offer as a series.

The other two... I’ll keep an eye on.

It'd be pretty weird if they passed on those previous projects including The Long Night and then made a show about Flea Bottom.

Meanwhile, I'm holding out for the inevitable Hodor prequel, A Song of Hodor and Hodor.

Not surprising. I read that HBO lost a lot of subscribers after GoT ended. Even now with putting movies on their service (and some other great shows) they're still not hitting those old numbers. I wonder if it will work a second time...

HBO Developing Three More 'Game of Thrones' Spinoffs: Nymeria, Flea Bottom, The Sea Snake

Okay, Flea Bottom is an automatic no from me. There’s just no way that has anything interesting to offer as a series.

The other two... I’ll keep an eye on.

Flea Bottom isn't a weird concept when you think of it like Deadwood or Gangs of New York or any show set in a town or part of a city with a cast of recurring characters.

Could be about criminal gangs, or faceless men, warlocks or any number of colorful characters.

Flea Bottom isn't a weird concept when you think of it like Deadwood or Gangs of New York or any show set in a town or part of a city with a cast of recurring characters.

Could be about criminal gangs, or faceless men, warlocks or any number of colorful characters.
The more I think of it, a Flea Bottom show in the style of Deadwood/Gangs of New York/The Wire really does have a lot of potential. Street gangs, goldcloaks, smallfolk just trying to get by... It's a side of the world pretty much unexplored in current works.

But I am beyond stoked for 10,000 Ships and 9 Voyages. I'm fascinated to see how they do it - It feels like something they could work wonders with if they get their hands on Tech like what they use on The Mandalorian. All of those locations... SO MUCH POTENTIAL

Can't support this anymore he needs to finish the books.

Not surprising. I read that HBO lost a lot of subscribers after GoT ended. Even now with putting movies on their service (and some other great shows) they're still not hitting those old numbers. I wonder if it will work a second time...

Them waiting until after the series was done to start working on spin offs was the dumbest thing they could've done. They knew the show had an end point, should've started prepping a show come S6 and have it premiere 6 months after GoT ended.

And he's developing a stage play:

'Game of Thrones' is getting the 'Cursed Child' treatment with new George R.R. Martin stage play

The acclaimed Game of Thrones author is now developing a new Broadway-bound stage play for his beloved fantasy franchise that will show fans a moment from Westeros history that took place 16 years before the events of his first book, A Game of Thrones.

The play, with an original story by Martin that's being developed with playwright Duncan MacMillan, will take place during the Great Tourney at Harrenhal, a 10-day-long contest that's considered the biggest competition in the history of Westeros

I hope we’ll see the lands of Sorthoryos and Ulthos through that Sea Snake series.

I hope we’ll see the lands of Sorthoryos and Ulthos through that Sea Snake series.
IIRC, not even Corlys made it to Ulthos, which is pretty much entirely unknown to westerners other than "It's land and it's there." We can definitely get to Sothoryos though (Would love to see some of the haunted former prison colonies like Gosgossos) and a whole slew of wild new locales. That's why it's the spin-off I'm most excited for, the mythos GRRM has built for the East is incredible.

IIRC, not even Corlys made it to Ulthos, which is pretty much entirely unknown to westerners other than "It's land and it's there." We can definitely get to Sothoryos though (Would love to see some of the haunted former prison colonies like Gosgossos) and a whole slew of wild new locales. That's why it's the spin-off I'm most excited for, the mythos GRRM has built for the East is incredible.

They should disregard that in the TV canon. An explorer could have been to Ulthos and never publicly announced it. Or the reports of a journey to Ulthos were discounted as nonsense by Westerosi maesters and scholars.

or HBO doesn’t really care about things being canon or not...

They should disregard that in the TV canon. An explorer could have been to Ulthos and never publicly announced it. Or the reports of a journey to Ulthos were discounted as nonsense by Westerosi maesters and scholars.
I mean, there's more than enough new, wild territory to unpack on Corlys' journeys without Ulthos. I think I'm most excited to see Yi Ti, Asshai and the forest of the Ifequevron (to further investigate their seeming connection to the Westerosi Children of the Forest). I can't complain if they reveal some completely new part of the lore, though. He could sail to the legendary City of Wisdom that Xaro wanted to take Dany to.

They did that with Valyria and it was pretty dismal. I’d rather they avoid trying to answer the mysteries of Planetos that GRRM hasn’t depicted.

‘Game Of Thrones’: Amanda Segel To Write ‘10,000 Ships’ Spinoff – Deadline
Amanda Segel, co-exec producer on Hulu’s Helstrom and Person of Interest, has been tapped to write one of the Game of Thrones spinoffs.

Deadline understands that Segel is tackling the 10,000 Ships project, which is one of three spinoffs that we revealed were in the works at HBO.

The drama is expected to follow the journey made by warrior queen Princess Nymeria and the surviving members of the Rhoynars, who travelled from Essos to Dorne following their defeat by the Valyrian Freehold in the Second Spice War.

This migration took place around 1,000 years before the events depicted in the A Song of Ice and Fire novels
. Arya Stark, played by Maisie Williams, named her direwolf after Nymeria.

I'm very curious with how much of Nymeria's story this will cover. I can definitely see it starting with the flight from the Rhoyne and ending with her marrying Mors Martell and burning the ships, I'd love to see more. A first season covering the Second Spice War would be amazing (Water Wizards vs. Dragons, LET'S GO!!!!) but I'd worry it would set the wrong tone for the series. At the very least, I hope we get at least some glimpses of the Valyrian Freehold in its prime.

HBO Max Developing 2 More ‘Game of Thrones’ Animated Shows (Exclusive) – The Hollywood Reporter

While a single animated project was previously reported to be in development in January, the streamer is now working on at least two more potential shows, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

One of the three projects is set in a territory that was never seen on the original series: The Golden Empire of Yi Ti (or simply Yi Ti), a region in the continent of Essos, near the south-eastern limits of the known world. The society is considered one of the oldest and most advanced societies in creator George R.R. Martin’s sprawling fantasy realm and is inspired by Imperial China (much the same way Westeros, which was the primary setting for GoT, was inspired by Medieval Europe).

Yi Ti had only a brief reference in Game of Thrones, though a character in HBO’s upcoming prequel series, House of the Dragon, Lord Corlys Velaryon the “Sea Snake,” famously sailed to Yi Ti.

In another Game of Thrones spin-off update, one live action prequel concept is no longer in the mix. Flea Bottom, a project reported as in development that was based on life in the infamous King’s Landing slum, is not moving forward. Sources say it was always the most nascent of the ideas that were made public and was never officially confirmed by HBO

Last edited:
Of all the suggested spin-offs, Flea Bottom sounded the most like a non-starter anyway.

I just could not conceive of what could be interesting enough about that environment to inspire an entire series.

I still dont understand why they dont give us a mini series surrounding Roberts Rebellion.

Of all the suggested spin-offs, Flea Bottom sounded the most like a non-starter anyway.

I just could not conceive of what could be interesting enough about that environment to inspire an entire series.
If it would have been a Deadwood or Rome type series with assassins, guilds, and criminal gangs, and intrigue it probably would have been worthwhile.

I would have had some members from the King's Landing royal court work with the criminal underworld in the city. GOT never did a satisfactory job fleshing out the Royal Court and King's Landing. Fleabottem could have.

Last edited:
If it would have been a Deadwood or Rome type series with assassins, guilds, and criminal gangs, and intrigue it probably would have been worthwhile.

I would have had some members from the King's Landing royal court work with the criminal underworld in the city. GOT never did a satisfactory job fleshing out the Royal Court and King's Landing. Fleabottem could have.
Yeah, I always saw more promise in that concept than most did. Shame it gets the can, I'm surprised they're going all-in on the two spin-offs that will presumably cost the most money to produce. Also, they're moving on the Sea Snake series too fast, that was supposed to be MY show to write, darnnit! :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"