Toy/Comic Book Conventions question?

toddly6666

Civilian
Reaction score
At Toy/Comic Book Conventions, what is up with conventions having people selling customized action figures and bootleg cartoon DVDs? Do the conventions turn a blind eye to this? There are obvious toy stands with customized packaged Marvel/Hasbro Legends figures and DVD bootlegs of cartoons. How do Marvel/Hasbro representatives feel when they walk by these stands? There is obviously representatives of all the famous toy/comic book companies/artists at the conventions. They are obviously aware of this type of culture at the conventions - do they support it, ignore it, turn a blind eye or what?

I'm not against it, in fact, I support it, i'm just curious about the convention officials and the representatives. I am aware of some crack-downs by the police, but i'm just wondering if the toy/comic industry people care or not at the conventions?

I was unaware that there was anyting wrong with making/selling custom figures

legally its fine. your creating something new out of old pieces, so it really isnt a copy right infringement, its more like fan art.... what technically isnt legal is jacking up prices on current figures, sure everyone does it... buti remember in the 90's alot of toy stores lost there TY beanie babie liscenses for doing that.

so it's probably legal for stores who buy cases from other retailers, but not from hasbro themselves.

SPIDERBOY, so let's say you make your own Marvel Legends custom figure with other pieces and you use the same packaging as some other figure, only changing the name of the character. It's okay to sell it eventhough the Marvel and Hasbro labels/legal text is all over the package?

It's a custome dude...you bought it and it's yours for wathever you want...even sell it if that's your interest! :)

NEWAVENGERS,
What do you think of the situation of DVD bootlegs at the conventions of every single animated show? For example, there are Marvel representatives at these conventions, while a couple tables down from them, they got some dude selling DVD bootlegs of Spiderman 90s complete series, Silver Surfer series, X-men complete series, etc...Is that where they turn a blind eye?

SPIDERBOY, so let's say you make your own Marvel Legends custom figure with other pieces and you use the same packaging as some other figure, only changing the name of the character. It's okay to sell it eventhough the Marvel and Hasbro labels/legal text is all over the package?

yup, you just have to sell it as a custom, you can't claim it's the real thing.

and its SPIDEY not SPIDER

NEWAVENGERS,
What do you think of the situation of DVD bootlegs at the conventions of every single animated show? For example, there are Marvel representatives at these conventions, while a couple tables down from them, they got some dude selling DVD bootlegs of Spiderman 90s complete series, Silver Surfer series, X-men complete series, etc...Is that where they turn a blind eye?

well thats 100% illegal actually... and if the companies who own the rights want to they could press charges

NEWAVENGERS,

1st..I don't support piracy!
2nd...This is tottaly different than a custom, you see, a custom is made of pieces of other figures, so there you dont see a copyrighted product being sold by some gold digger.

So, you can sell customs....but movies, man, if they get cought, they will have a goodie nighthy sleep in a p[retty cell for piracy! :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"