• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Uconn Women's team breaks UCLA winning streak with 89th win

ComicChick

I Work Too Much
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations. Will it ever end? Perhaps not!

The way they've played the last few years, how COULD they lose? I read something from John Wooden's grandson saying he thought his gramps would have been happy to see someone able to break the streak.

I agree with the guys on Pardon the Interruption, they're setting an amazing precedent but it's not the same record. They're surpassing 88 wins, but it's not in the same conversation as the Bruins' 88 wins.

The game isn't even the same, and I'm not talking about the size of the ball or the basket's heights, I'm talking about the depth and actual skill in comparison. They didn't even have a 3 point arc or a shot clock, it's near alien to current Men's basketball much less NCAA Women's ball.

They're definitely the best women's team ever.

they've beaten more top ranked teams in the streak than ucla

but even the players and past players are saying this streak shouldn't be compared in terms of gender, it should be compared in how hard both teams work together and how hard they play on the court.

also, its crazy that geno makes them play 5 vs 7 at practice.

Yeah well I love Geno, he's one of the few coaches that actually says EXACTLY what he thinks. Geno's a genuine good guy.

Hell even he said this wasn't them breaking UCLA's record as it were because the game is fundamentally different but it's comparing the heart, determination, & absolute excellence of his team & Wooden's.

That's why I dont get all the negativity spouting up over this, talking heads on ESPN and in newspapers degrading it with "Maya Moore couldn't beat Bill Walton" and all this nonsense.

Let this orginization have it's moment.

of all people why compare maya moore and walton? they arent even the same position lol

the negativity is sadly sprouting because of the gender role, which i'll ignore and not comment on.

love em or hate him (i think he's great, my dad hates him) geno gets the job done. his numbers alone speak for that. look at this past decade

UCONN UKNOW!

Congrats to UCONN women, but I don't really see how they can break UCLA's record, since they are two different sports. It's like comparing Federer and Graf's records for men and women tennis imo.

Congrats to UCONN women, but I don't really see how they can break UCLA's record, since they are two different sports. It's like comparing Federer and Graf's records for men and women tennis imo.

Yeah, same sentiment. It's just a different sport.

This is a stand alone achievement and it's a commitment to excellence that a lot of programs could learn from.

I'll reiterate what others have said that this is an impressive feat and should be lauded as such, but I'll also point out that there's much more parity in men's NCAA basketball than in women's. There's only a small handful of really good teams in women's college basketball. Like others have said, it's like comparing two different sports.

It's an impressive feat, but I don't feel we can compare the two. You can't compare streaks. Things happen in any streak that are no present in another streak, and in this case, it is not even the same record. This is NCAA Women's record vs NCAA Men's record. It's not the same achievement. Now, I didn't say it is a lesser achievement. I can't make that claim. No one can. I'm just saying it is an entirely different achievement, so I so no need to compare the two streaks. The only similarities between them is both teams play basketball and kept winning.

They broke UCLA's record because ESPN said so! Now be quiet and dont question and continue to digest their non-stop hours of droning sports broadcasts...

the streak ends at 90 as Stanford had Uconn's number last night

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"