• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

West Virginia uses video games to fight obesity

Immortalfire

Nu.
Staff member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20070201/tc_zd/200119

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - West Virginia, which has the worst childhood obesity problem in the United States, is stepping up plans to use Konami Corp.'s "Dance Dance Revolution" to battle the bulge in its schools.

The state, which plans to put the popular dancing video game in every one of its public schools, said on Wednesday research suggested that it helped put a halt to weight gain.

Preliminary results from a 24-week study of 50 overweight or obese children, aged 7 to 12, showed that those who played the game at home for at least 30 minutes five days per week maintained their weight and saw a reduction in some risk factors for heart disease and diabetes.

The study's control group included a dozen children who did not play the game for the first 12 weeks, then did so for remainder of the study period. Those children piled on an average of 6 pounds during the first portion of the study but saw their weight stabilize in the second half.

The West Virginia Public Employees Insurance Agency sponsored the research project, which primarily involved children of its policy holders.

Food intake was not monitored as part of the study, said Emily Murphy, a pediatric exercise physiologist from the West Virginia University School of Medicine's pediatrics department, who was part of the research team.

Murphy said that, prior to the study, most of the children reported feeling awkward about participating in gym and physical activity at school.

Following the study, children from the group reported feeling more confident and willing to try other exercises, she said.

Murphy West Virginia plans to develop after-school clubs for playing the game.

"It's going to allow kids to be active in an after-school activity that's not sports," she said.

Obesity has been rising fast around the globe, prompting health experts to warn that lifestyle-related illnesses like heart disease and diabetes may cut average life expectancy for generations of youth.
Let's get down and funky. :hyper:

That game is hard. :csad:

Give me a sniper rifle or a lightsaber or a fighting game. I'd kick it's ass.

I used to own my very own DDR for PS2, until I took it to my parents house one night and that was then end of it. My mother would ask me every time I came over if I brought it. I finally gave up and gave it to her for X-mas. That game is ridiculous fun, not to mention one of the best cardiovascular workouts I've had in quite some time and I used to Box. Kudos to West Virginia for the initiative. :up:

I used to own my very own DDR for PS2, until I took it to my parents house one night and that was then end of it. My mother would ask me every time I came over if I brought it. I finally gave up and gave it to her for X-mas. That game is ridiculous fun, not to mention one of the best cardiovascular workouts I've had in quite some time and I used to Box. Kudos to West Virginia for the initiative. :up:

I played it for the first time in a Pub a couple of years back :up:, and I've been asking for it for Christmas on my wish list ever since... still haven't gotten it though :csad:

It's not that expensive for a home console. Each major system has one, though I'd stay away from the Gamecube version as it's hard to find and more expensive. Also STAY THE HELL AWAY from the knock offs. Be wary of the ones that claim you can use your own CDs... they're sucktastic. The steps don't match the beat and it's just frustrating. Stick with the DDR name. :up:

If they wanted to work on arm strength, get "Guitar Hero 2" :up::up:

That game is hard. :csad:

Give me a sniper rifle or a lightsaber or a fighting game. I'd kick it's ass.

Silent Scope = :up:

I used to play that s**t all the time at the arcade at the theater I go to. I did so awesome. And then I say it's way easier than the real thing if someone is with me, lol. Awesome stuffs.

Anyway I can only see this working if you know. They made the kids play. Because I'm pretty sure a lot of the fat kids wouldn't want to play DDR. :dry:

If you mean dexterity and hand-eye coordination then I agree frucas. I actually used to do isometric arm strengthening with my Time Crisis games. I used to strap 10lb leg weights to my wrists and play. Great isometrics there...

Time Crisis kicked ass. I was addicted to those three games.

But yeah, GH improves that stuff. It's an awesome game too, and really doesn't make you look as ridiculous as you would dancing around on a pad.

Time Crisis kicked ass. I was addicted to those three games.

But yeah, GH improves that stuff. It's an awesome game too, and really doesn't make you look as ridiculous as you would dancing around on a pad.

Said by someone who obviously hasn't played it... I guarantee you look just as foolish playing your mini-guitar and rocking out as you do stepping on the pad. Plus, with lots of friends DDR is hands down more accessible and fun then the GH games. Sure GH and GH2 are crazy fun but after a while you just get tired of it. Whereas with DDR you and your friends can still be goofing around with DDR and all of it's minigame features. Once you can get over the fact that, "I'm playing DDR :down" in your brain, you will more than likely enjoy yourself.

I have DDR, dude... no wait, I got rid of it. But you should ask if I've played it before making assumptions :up:

I am a crappy dancer anyways, and even after playing that game.

My friends and I are addicted to Guitar Hero more because it takes up less room, and is pretty easy to pick up and play.

I have DDR, dude... no wait, I got rid of it. But you should ask if I've played it before making assumptions :up:

I am a crappy dancer anyways, and even after playing that game.

My friends and I are addicted to Guitar Hero more because it takes up less room, and is pretty easy to pick up and play.

So you THINK you look cooler playing an electric ukulele? DDR is hardly something you should look at to make you a "better dancer". If you were looking at is as an educational tool, then it's obvious why you enjoy GH more. I think that you and you friends may be a little insecure to say that you didn't enjoy DDR because of the way it made you look... :huh:

It's really low of you to think that we are insecure just because we don't want to play a dancing game.

We are more into hard rock music, instead of techno/electronica songs, so that definitely gears us toward Guitar Hero than DDR.

I said you may be insecure... not an accusation... more like an questioning observation. All I was saying is that you look equally foolish playing both games and to say your look more foolish plying one because you prefer the other is kind of lame.

If you think my post was low, then you need to research some of my previous posts... I can show you low. :up:

I didn't mean that, I was just defending Guitar Hero. I love that game :csad:

No, I'm not insecure at all, I just prefer GH to DDR, when I've played a fair amount of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"