What Is Your Favorite Genre And Why?

Project862006

Avenger
Reaction score
OK i will start off and say my favorite movie genre is that Of Fantasy/Adventure mostly because i feel it is a genre perfectly made for film escapism as you can say it transports you to another world not of our own.It also pushes the boundaries of your imagination and visually speaking pushes creativity to another level and is very world building.All the way from big medieval castles ,to sweeping beautiful landscapes of lush and vibrant colors, to otherworldly creatures and featuring race of peope like dwarfs,elfs,etc. not to mention use of magic.I also love the combination of Adventure usually attached to the Fantasy genre where we follow a hero or heroine traveling/adventuring across landscapes with trusty companions which is why i love films like Lord Of The Rings,Harry Potter,upcoming SWATH also why legend of Zelda is one of my favorite video game franchises and the last airbender is one of my favorite animated series.

so what is your favorite genre and why??

Sci-Fi, with Fantasy as a close second.

For me it's comedy. They generally have the best repeat viewing value, and can be viewed fairly easily in social settings, too. There are certain types of movies and genres that you have to be in the mood for, but I feel like comedy is the easiest to just fall into on a moment's notice. Also, while there are many different types of comedies, comedy is fairly universal. Everyone likes some kind of comedy. Not everyone can get into fantasy or scifi or horror. While there are hundreds of god awful comedies, the genre as a whole is my favorite.

Good question. I guess I don't jhave a genre, but I won't see romantic comedies or Disney movies.

I watch almost every superhero movie though, if that's a genre.

It's probably Action/Sci-Fi. When it's good, it can be amazingly creative. When it's bad, it's usually hilariously entertaining.

Science-Fiction.

Why? Because they usually deal with concepts that I think about way after the film is done. I am also a very imaginative person so it certainly caters to my personality. As far as plots and themes, the possibilities are endless. And as film lover, the genre allows for some amazing technical achievements to film.

Fantasy/Adventure/Historical fiction because most of the children's books I have written deal with this subject and its what I've written.

I also want alternate history to get more credibility because works like Fatherland need to be made into film more. There could be an entire franchise based on how the world would have looked if Germany and Japan won World War II. The BBC radio play for it is wonderful and outside Red Tails and the History Channel there are no dogfights showing off Nazi jets in combat.

Horror is mine. Mainly because something about scary stuff, monsters, etc. appeals to me and it was the genre that got me into movies and I grew up with as a child. But Action/Adventure and Science Fiction are close behind Horror for me.

Erotic Independent Action Comedies from the 70s'

At least according to Netflix.

Horror may be #2 for me. I actually really love crappy, cheesy old horror movies.

Superhero movies are the only genre that I would ever say I'm a devotee of. Other than that it's all on a case by case basis.

Sci Fi -- I love the more plausible science fiction.
Horror -- I dunno why. Just love it.

Crime

I like reading and researching on true crime stuff. I'd say crime movies are just as mythological as comic books for me. Billy Bats, sleeping with the fishes, "What's it gonna be, Mr. Pink," all these things are folklore to me.

Science Fiction probably. The great thing with sci-fi is that it can be all different genres too. Horror, thriller, action, comedy. And it's a great way of having relatable, real world themes but in a imaginative, fantasical way. I mean for example, you could watch Blade Runner just as this cool noir thriller with amazing visuals. But it also has the whole "what does it mean to be human" theme going through it.

Really though i'm a fan of all genres. I think as a fan of film you should have eclectic taste and give any and every genre a chance. Sticking to one genre, or one type of movie must lead to a really boring life.

Where's the poll?

Anyway, sci-fi by far.

I love thinking about how the future will unfold. Also usally good sci-fi has a socially important message about the world we live in and what the stakes are. And lastly the plausibility makes the movie more exciting, knowing the crazy world you're seeing could become reality for better or worse.

Superhero movies are the only genre that I would ever say I'm a devotee of. Other than that it's all on a case by case basis.

1. Superhero
2. Fantasy
3. Sci-fi

I enjoy all types of movies, and you need comedies and chick flicks for when your in certain moods, but these are the categories that almost all of the films I actually follow or look forward too each year tend to fall into.

Also, I tend to love anything depicting insanity/mental illness/weird or quirky characters. Those types of films don't really have a genre, they exist outside of genre. For example One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, Veronika Decides to Die, Girl Interrupted... Even stuff like Rules of Attraction. If it's about people who's heads are all messed up, I usually enjoy it.

Over-the-top Action movies-Just fun to watch. Escapism.

Thriller-Love twists and turns.

Horror-Stupid fun, highly entertaining, sometimes get a good laugh while watching one.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Superhero-Escapism. I'm just a geek I guess.

Drama-Has characters I can really relate to or care about.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is really a genre, but I would describe many movies I love as smart comedies. If a movie can provide me with a lot of laughs and give me something to think about, then it's a total package. This covers everything from cerebral movies like Being John Malkovich to more mainstream stuff like The 40-Year-Old Virgin, which has fully fleshed-out characters and a great message.

I also have a predilection for crime movies; I love the noir style (classic and modern) in particular. I think the characters in crime stories often challenge viewers in the way we look at the characters and whether we accept them as people we can "root for." I suppose that's primarily why the genre draws me in.

Science fiction would be up there too, for reasons others have said.

WESTERNS.
I find the time period very interesting. There is alot going on.
The movement towards the western lands.
Culture clashes between whites and natives.
The freeing of the slaves from the Civil War.
Cattle Drives north to Kansas and beyond.
Lawman and Gunfighters.

Action/adventure
Science fiction
Psychological

Well, the majority of my fav movies are dramas so I guess I pick that.

I've recently noticed that 4 films in my top 10 favorites would be considered science-fiction. So I guess that's a given for me. The movies for the interested are Alien, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, 2001 and Blade Runner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"