• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

What kind of games would you like to see

Vapor

Omlette Du Fromage
Reaction score
Was bored at work today and found myself thinking about various movie ideas I have when it turned to thinking of ideas for games... Did a quick search and couldn't see a similarly based thread but if there is, mods please merge/delete.

So I'm sure we all have ideas about what would make for a cool game, be it something original or something based on an existing property and I thought it would be fun to put them up and read each others ideas and perhaps, discuss.

This will probably be quite long and perhaps put some people off but hopefully some people will take the time to read it and join in.

3 games that I would like to see, but won't go into detail about, are new entries in the Monkey Island and Broken Sword series and the long awaited Beyond Good and Evil sequel, one of the most underrated games of the last decade IMO.

Starfox sequel

I don't know why Nintendo doesn't seem to want to do anything with this franchise. I know they have re-done SF64 for the 3DS but, to me, Starfox is possibly the one game that seems a perfect fit for the Wiis controls. Me and a friend discussed how you could use the Wiimote similarly to how they control jet fighter planes and pull back to go up and push it forward to go down and so on, which I beleive was the original intention - to use the Wiimote like you would use objects (swinging it for a sword and so forth) Thinking about it though, the nunchuck may be best for movement and the Wiimote for aiming but again, that seems a perfect fit for Starfox. I'd just like to see a new game that continues in the vein of the 64 classic and not an on foot adventure thing. I don't have a Wii but I might consider getting one if one was brought out.. Saying that, I am tempted, for the new Zelda. Do a barrell roll!

Pokemon console game

Think an Oblivion style Pokemon game. Just like they do with the DS games - an adventure/rpg where you play a character collecting Pokemon and so on but the major difference would be that the Pokemon populate the game in real time and you battle them without going to a turn based battle screen.

This is something I have always thought would be cool. Imagine walking through a world with pokemon running around or hiding or whatnot (similar to the NPCs in games like Oblivion) and when you battle them, you battle them in game time and to catch them you have to aim and throw your pokeball (again, something the Wiimote seems a perfect fit for). It could be a mix of Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium and the DS style play all wrapped up in an Oblivion style package. Conversations and actions could change the story and, like they do already, you could have day and night cycles and so on..

This would be a real winner IMO 'cos Pokemon still has a lot of fans and I think the idea of going around an open world, with the ability of actually searching for pokemon, opposed to random encounters and actually catching your pokemon, rather than it all happening in a seperate menu based screen, would really appeal to people.

a Noire game with a realistic 'life' cycle

Now I know there is LA Noire (and to an extent the Mafia games) but I haven't played LA Noire yet and this is something I've thought about for a while.

As I say, I'm not fully aware of how LA Noire plays and I don't know if a current gen engine would be able to handle this but what I would like to see, is a fully open world game (like GTA) that has a real time life cycle with your actions progressing and changing the story. Here is an example of what I mean by this...

Say you're on a case and someone leaves you a message to meet at a certain time (2 days from when you get the message). You have a choice to go to this meeting. Could it be someone who could help or someone who wants to kill you? As the time gets closer you realise you're busy doing something else, do you drop what you're doing and go to meet them or not bother? If you drop what you're doing, you might lose a different tail or miss some vital clue but if you miss the meet up, you could miss something vital too. The person will wait for 10 minutes game time and if you fail show up, the character will run and you will never get the information they have, affecting what happens next and what information you know and are able to gather.

As I understand it, LA Noire is a little bit like this and possibly Heavy Rain too but I'd like to see this kind of thing fleshed out. More ideas like this could be explored, for instance, you decide you are going to beat a suspect up to get information from him but beat him too much and he might not tell you anything or he ends up in a coma.

They could do in game clocks (similar to the random meets in GTA) to constantly change where characters are and when they are available... If you haven't done something or spoken to someone by a certain point, it could change what they do. Like, you get a tip off about a murder and if you don't stop it in time, the person is murdered and later on in the game, you find out this person had valuable information.

Completion would depend on what you learn. The case could perhaps be to find a murderer and at any point you can go to your line up of suspects you have tagged and try to guess. Guess too early with limited knowledge and risk getting it wrong and having to start again. I don't think I've ever seen a game where you can reach the end of a game but potentially not successfully finish it...

You could have 3 or 4 difficulty settings but instead of each setting being the same game or case, only harder, each setting could be a different case, getting progresivlely harder and you have to successfully solve each case to move on. Or each difficulty setting could be a different suspect with harder clues to follow and different in game stories.

Another interesting idea (IMO) which would fit with an idea like this would be the idea of each difficulty setting taking place in a different decade. So, for example, the easy setting would be solving a murder that has just happened and the hard setting could be set 20 years after the murder and you have to search for missed clues, go over old information and photos, check out possible corrupt cops filing fake reports or questioning people who perhaps don't remember the events very well or are lying and so on.

open world Sonic the Hedgehog

i would LOVE to see a genuine free roam sandbox Sonic game, like a mix between the Sonic CD intro and Sonic Adventure with a huge open world, similar to Grand Theft Auto or Assassins Creed.

Imagine a vast Angel Island for Sonic to speed across.... The island would split off into different districts or 'zones', for instance a snowy mountain, a giant lake, a vast desert, an aztec ruin, a lava spewing volcano etc. And rather than have levels, each area can explored at will or perhaps, the more rings you collect the more areas you open for play. The aim of the game would be to find the various chaos emeralds hidden around each area, before Robotnik gets them.

Perhaps some sort of game mechanic (to progress play) where if you fail to find certain emeralds by an in game clock counter, Robotnik gets it before you. Whoever has the most emeralds in the final boss fight could have some sort of advantage over the other..

A sonic game that plays with the idea of speed and momentum.. imagine a vast lake that Sonic would have to cross but in order to do so he has to build up enough speed to run across the water and if he slows down he will sink through the water possibly to his death but he might just find a hidden Aquatic Zone. Or with enough speed sonic could springboard great distances or run up walls.

Imagine a huge snowy mountain looming in the distance, with an emerald at the top and when sonic starts running up it switches to a vertical view and sonic has to run up the side of the mountain, dodging avalanches and all sorts. Imagine once this avalance has being triggered the snow could alter Angel Isle on the bottom for the rest of your game.

Imagine a dark Pyramid you have to explore and find the emerald deep within. When you come out the otherside, you fall into an aztec ruin like zone. A boulder starts rolling towards you (ala Indiana Jones) and Sonic has to escape it. Sonic spies something glinting. It's an emerald. So sonic comes back once he has escaped the boulder but the boulder has destroyed the ruin and sonic has to Spin Dash through everything to get into an underground Marble Zone type area and find the emerald.

You learn there is an emerald somewhere in the volcano and as you set off, Metal Sonic appears and you have to race him there, picking your own path. Once at the volcano, you race him up the side, dodging the spewing lava. The emerald is suspended in the centre of the crater, so Sonic needs to build his speed and time it right with the lava eruptions, to leap across and grab it.

There would still be floating ledges and loop di loops, TVs and rings to collect. There could be certain tasks to complete within each area, certain checkpoints to reach and a certain amount of rings to collect. There could even be optional side quests to complete such as races to compete in, objects to collect, characters to save. You could get acheivments for the amount of animals you free from robotic forms or the ammount of rings you collect. Each area could have its own special stage and it's own boss.. although instead of been Robotnik each time, it could be a series of different robotic henchmen.

Dr. Robotnik, not Eggman and no other human characters. Side characters kept to a minimum, just Tails and possibly Knuckles. There could be a feature to swap characters to reach different parts of the world. For instance, Tails could fly up into the clouds, perhaps lifting Sonic to secret ledges or to Robotniks secret Flying Base, where there are optional animals to rescue to add to your acheivment score. Knuckles could be used to better explore the Ruins, with his abilities.

This would be amazing IMHO. Just imagine speeding around an gigantic open world, going where ever you want and watching the world change around you depending where you go and which order you do the game in.

Now I know most 3D sonic games haven't being very good and I think part of the reason is because they keep him 'on rails', which works when it's a side scrolling platformer but I think if they did it free roam and got the mechanics right, it could be really good. Mario worked in 3D, Sonic should be able to as well. At the very least, they could do a big hub type world with all the various zones (similar to Mario 64) but do it free roam and not on rails and keep the element of speed and Badnik bashing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"