• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Amazing Spider-Man When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

i would hardly say gwen is a worthless love interest in these movies.
Really? Because I'd say she's the most worthless love interest in any comic book movie. Her entire purpose is to die. There's no other point to her character. She exists in this movie to be fridged. I can't think of anything more worthless than that. Especially considering they've stripped the character of all her signifigant character traits. Or of any characterization whatsoever. What are Gwen's flaws? Anyone? Yeah, I don't know either. Her interests outside of science? Don't know? Neither does Marc Webb. What about her goals and aspirations, what she wants do with her life? Didn't think so. How about her character arc in the movie? I know I'm drawing a blank. And her feelings of inner turmoil about hooking up with the guy who she knows it was her fathers dying wish for her not to hook up with? She doesn't have any, does she? This character is nothing like any version of Gwen Stacy I know. There's none of her true tenacity, temper, activist interests, love and loyalty to her father. I'm kind of at loss as to what is so great about her.

Really? Because I'd say she's the most worthless love interest in any comic book movie. Her entire purpose is to die. There's no other point to her character. She exists in this movie to be fridged. I can't think of anything more worthless than that. Especially considering they've stripped the character of all her signifigant character traits. Or of any characterization whatsoever. What are Gwen's flaws? Anyone? Yeah, I don't know either. Her interests outside of science? Don't know? Neither does Marc Webb. What about her goals and aspirations, what she wants do with her life? Didn't think so. How about her character arc in the movie? I know I'm drawing a blank. And her feelings of inner turmoil about hooking up with the guy who she knows it was her fathers dying wish for her not to hook up with? She doesn't have any, does she? This character is nothing like any version of Gwen Stacy I know. There's none of her true tenacity, temper, activist interests, love and loyalty to her father. I'm kind of at loss as to what is so great about her.

This makes me question my love for Stone's portrayal of the character now.

What's worse than a head-strong, smart female lead whose main purpose is to have a powerful death?

A ditzy, wish washy female lead whose forced love roller coaster ends with the sole purpose of being kidnapped and rescued three movies in a row.

I'd rather my daughters see Webb's version of Gwen Stacy since she's far more respectable, charming and admirable than Raimi's Mary Jane who was a sad sack, victim the entire trilogy.

This is actually a really good post. I like Emma Stone as Gwen and the chemistry between her and Andrew is great, but Gwen as a character was really underwritten in TASM. She was just there to be the love interest, and they didn't give her enough interesting character traits.

Gwen was never the most compelling character in the comics to begin with.Stan himself admitted he preferred to write for Mary Jane.Ultimately,it ended up being the reason they killed her off at the end of it all.

I think Gwen will die towards the end of the 2nd film, and they will hint at the reconnection of Peter and MJ..leaving a cliffhanger for the 3rd movie.

It is clear that the true love interest of Peter is MJ, and Gwen is sort of just thrown in there for drama. Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"