• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Force Awakens Why I think JJ Abrams is Big on Lens Flare...

eatup

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm probably assuming Abrams is a gamer, much like James Cameron. There is every trace of StarCraft in Avatar what with the previous minerals and mechs and all. I think Abrams is so into Lens Flares b/c games like the hit Unreal Tournament '99 featured them and popularized them. Remember, even Spielberg made use of Unreal Engine to build virtual sets and test out camera angles for one of his films. As a whole, I think video games have had a very pronounced influence on Hollywood artistic directors.

I hope this message gets to Abrams:

Unreal Tournament '99 had lens flare only in the old DirectX 7 version. If you download updated DirectX 9 drivers for UT '99, the lens flares are gone. You'll see the same intro subway scene, where the camera passes one of the lights originally with lens flare, looks so much more beautiful without the lens flare, but only b/c of the new CG algorithms in DirectX 9...

I guess Abrams doesn't or didn't know about the DirectX 9 drivers when he worked on previous films...

Last edited:
Whaaa?

Anyways, Abrams has discussed his obsession with lens flares and that's all it is...an obsession. A DOP showed him how to do it on one of his projects and he got carried away in his following films until it culminated in the ridiculous amount present in STID. He's said he is cutting back from here on out. They actually had to go back in post and remove lens flares from STID, because people couldn't see what the hell was going on in some of the scenes lol. Even his wife called him on a scene or two when he showed her some footage.

I'm probably assuming Abrams is a gamer, much like James Cameron. There is every trace of StarCraft in Avatar what with the previous minerals and mechs and all. I think Abrams is so into Lens Flares b/c games like the hit Unreal Tournament '99 featured them and popularized them. Remember, even Spielberg made use of Unreal Engine to build virtual sets and test out camera angles for one of his films. As a whole, I think video games have had a very pronounced influence on Hollywood artistic directors.

Unreal Tournament '99 had lens flare only in the old DirectX 7 version. If you download updated DirectX 9 drivers for UT '99, the lens flares are gone. You'll see the same intro subway scene, where the camera passes one of the lights originally with lens flare, looks so much more beautiful without the lens flare, but only b/c of the new CG algorithms in DirectX 9...

I guess Abrams doesn't or didn't know about the DirectX 9 drivers when he worked on previous films...

izDyf623vTQ9.gif

Abrams just uses lens flares to excess in Star Trek, because he feels it fits the theme of a bright, optimistic future. Star Wars is a far more gritty, dirty, grimy universe. The lens flares would work against that aesthetic. I don't think we need to worry about that bleeding across franchises.

Abrams just uses lens flares to excess in Star Trek, because he feels it fits the theme of a bright, optimistic future. Star Wars is a far more gritty, dirty, grimy universe. The lens flares would work against that aesthetic. I don't think we need to worry about that bleeding across franchises.

It's going to happen, if you like it or not. It's his signature. And I hope he flares away to piss off all of the whiners.

Before J.J. Abrams, Spielberg was the most associated name with lens flare, Abrams realy wants to be like him, so my guess is that he was inspired by Spielberg.

Shut your noise you ****ing butternut squash.

Isn't there a lens flare in ESB? When the Falcon escapes Bespin

As Zaron pointed out, I don't think we're going to see lens flares because they are inconsistent with the SW aesthetic. To add to that, I also don't think we'll see a whole lot of zooms, swooping dolly shots, or a huge amount of camera movement in general.

I imagine that, for the most part, we'll see a "classical" style, consistent with the previous six, with maybe a bit of camera movement to amp up the energy. But definitely no lens flares. If you couldn't see the sun constantly shining into spaceships in the previous 6, you won't here.

I think there will be a lens flare or two, but that's it. The style can't be too different from Rian Johnson's in Episode VIII.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"