• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Woman Embezzles $10 Million, Spends on Shoes & Purses

Manic

User title? USER TITLE?!
Reaction score
Vista, Calif. (AP) --

A former bookkeeper embezzled $9.9 million, forcing her company to make layoffs as she bought 400 pairs of shoes that she kept in a room-sized closet decorated with a crystal chandelier and a plasma television, authorities claim.

Annette Yeomans, 51, surrendered at the Vista jail on Friday and was booked for investigation of grand theft and embezzlement. She was being held Saturday at the San Diego County jail in lieu of $10 million bail.

It was not immediately clear whether she had an attorney.

Authorities allege that Yeomans embezzled the money from 2001 to 2007 while she was chief financial officer for Quality Woodworks, Inc., a cabinetry business in San Marcos.

She spent at least $240,000 on 400 pairs of shoes, $300,000 on designer clothing and 160 purses valued at $2,000 each, investigators allege. She also remodeled a bedroom into a closet with the chandelier and a 32-inch TV, they said.

"On a weekly basis Yeomans would spend $25,000 on her credit card and then pay off the balance the following Monday with company funds," said Sgt. Mark Varnau of the sheriff's Financial Crimes Unit.

The losses went unnoticed and the company never hired an outside auditor to check the books because she had a trusted position, Varnau said. Meanwhile, he said, the company was forced to lay off workers and restructure operations because of the losses.

An investigation began after American Express notified the company in February 2008 that one of its checks had been used to make a payment on Yeomans' account, Varnau said.

Yeomans was fired last year and agreed to turn over her assets to the company, which has recovered about $2 million from the sale of her home, some cars and other property, Varnau said.

Her husband was a cabinet installer at Quality Woodworks but was not suspected of any crime, Varnau said.

Source: SF Gate

Setting the women's movement back has become quid pro quo around these parts.

This crime has DBella written all over it.

Anyone who spends $2,000 on a purse should be sent to an insane asylum.

As soon as i saw the title i thought "i god, i hope she doesn't have a jewish last name." I'm happy to learn she does not have a jewish last name.

As soon as i saw the title i thought "i god, i hope she doesn't have a jewish last name." I'm happy to learn she does not have a jewish last name.

It was Nanny Fine. :o

I'll never understand women's obsession with shoes and purses.

She had a plasma TV in her closet? Seriously... Was she watching a lot of TV in there?

How exactly did her husband not suspect something?

She had a plasma TV in her closet? Seriously... Was she watching a lot of TV in there?

It is a walk-in closet which can be the size of a living room. trust me women can spend quite sometime in those especially if she has her makeup done in there.

400 pairs of shoes is just crazy. Your never gonna even wear most of them. I know a girl with a different pair of shoes in all most every colour

This story would be funny except that people are losing their jobs over her loony obsession with shoes. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"