• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Women and fighting

Some of my girl/friends think they are invincible.
I just "lol" in my head when I hear it.

jaguarr said:
Squirrels on crack (ba-dum)
Squirrels on crack (ba-dum)
They're takin' over (ba-dum)
Better get ready (ba-dum)

:confused:

jag

They're mesmerized(ba dum)
Skeletons(ba dum)
Squirrels on crack
Squirrels on crack

rodhulk said:
Let's remember that nothing will prepare somebody 100% for a defence/fight situation. The only thing I would add is that if it gives one a much higher chance at survival, then there should be nothing wrong with that.

I agree that it does give basics that do help, but it's only a small part of what needs to be known.

Tsunulia said:
They're mesmerized(ba dum)
Skeletons(ba dum)
Squirrels on crack
Squirrels on crack

They steal radios (ba-dum)
Gotta buy more (ba-dum)
Squirrels on crack
Squirrels on crack

So, I've sparred a fair amount with some very competent and proficient women when I was practicing Aikido and Win Chun. They did GREAT and would kick my ass when we were sticking to form, but I had a couple of Sensei's who liked to demonstrate that practicing in class doesn't always translate to being able to handle yourself in an actual fight and would have a couple of people spar full on to show this. One would stick to form and the other could do whatever they wanted to. One lady in our Aikido class who was a very formidable person to spar against and very advanced in her techniques kind of thought she was the bee's knees and always wanted to do this sparring thing. One night Sensei finally let her participate in this exercise (I think she finally annoyed even HIM with the way she used to arrogantly tell everyone how their technique was wrong and such). He asked me to be the attacker and told me it was okay if I used my wrestling background. I had her on the ground in an arm-bar in less that thirty seconds. Had we been sticking strictly to form, she probably would have won the sparring. What happens on the mat does not always translate well in the real world.

jag

i find what both of you are saying very interesting ..i know i tend to be too feminine and i do think some defence training might really help me .

The best martial art for self defense that's out there, IMHO, is Krav Maga. It's what the Israeli Army uses and basically it's premise is use anything and everything you have available to you and be smarter than your opponent. It's a very efficient fighting system and of all the martial arts out there probably best prepares you for actual combat situations.

jag

I've never heard of the style before, but it's sounds more logical than most styles do.

wiki said:
Although Krav Maga shares many techniques with other martial arts, like Savate and Kickboxing (for the fist- and kick-fighting techniques) or Ju-Jitsu (for the grappling and disarming techniques), the training is quite different. It stresses fighting under worst-case circumstances (for example, against several opponents, when protecting someone else, with one arm unusable, when dizzy, or against armed opponents).

Training in Krav Maga is an aerobic workout, and relies heavily on pads. Students take turns holding pads and doing combatives against the pads. This is important because it allows the student to practice the technique at full strength, and the student holding the pad learns a little of what it feels like to get hit. It can be almost as taxing to hold a pad as to practice against one.

Training may employ a speaker system blasting loud music, stroboscope and/or fog machine meant to train the student to ignore peripheral distractions and focus on causing as much damage as possible. Training might also contain ways to deal with situations which could end in fights. Physical and verbal methods to avoid violence whenever possible are taught.

A typical Krav Maga session in a civilian school is about an hour long and mixes aerobic training with self-defense teaching. As levels increase, the instructors focus a little less on aerobic training and slightly more on combatives. First, the instructor will run a very intense drill to get the class's heart rates up. Then, after stretching, the instructor will teach two or three self-defense techniques. In the beginning the techniques will either be combatives (punches, hammer-fists, elbows, knees and roundhouse kicks, for example) or grappling (breaking out of chokes or wrist-grabs, getting out from under an opponent while on one's back). After that, the class usually moves to a drill that combines the techniques just taught with an aerobic technique. Finally, there is the final drill intended to burn out the students. Depending on the class - and on the instructor's mood - this drill may be at the very beginning or at the end of the class.

Now that's what I'm talking about right there :up: The actual reality is being taught.

jaguarr said:
The best martial art for self defense that's out there, IMHO, is Krav Maga. It's what the Israeli Army uses and basically it's premise is use anything and everything you have available to you and be smarter than your opponent. It's a very efficient fighting system and of all the martial arts out there probably best prepares you for actual combat situations.

jag

Another one is called Defendo.

It's a martial art that was invented by a Canadian and it's only concern is to disarm somebody by causing overwhelming pain through joint manipulation.

I'd take this one if it was available to learn where I live.

Wikipedia said:
The guiding principles for those performing Krav Maga techniques are:

* avoid injury.
* go from defending to attacking as quickly as possible.
* use the body's natural reflexes.
* strike at any vulnerable point.
* use any tool or object nearby.

The basic idea is to first deal with the immediate threat (being choked, for example), to prevent the attacker from re-attacking, then neutralize the opponent, proceeding through all the steps in a straightforward manner, despite the rush of adrenaline that would occur in such an attack. The emphasis is put on taking the initiative from the attacker as soon as possible.

:up:

Never heard of Defendo, Jonty. I'll have to read up on it.

jag

I know a lot of girls that could kick jonty's ass.:(
I mean "physically assault" his ass.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I know a lot of girls that could kick jonty's ass.:(
I mean "physically assault" his ass.

I don't think he wants to become a man that way. :(

I think since were such great prey most women are trying to disspell that we are weak/frail and in need of protection :confused:

I always wonder how women that are rail thin would fair if attacked :(
Joggers are big prey,I don't know why they risk running alone. :(

I have to be at work at 6am,park the car at the garge in the city at 5am,scared ****less someone will be in the stairwell or elevator. :(

I'd give em hell,but a gun trumps all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"