Zack Snyder’s Rebel Moon | Netflix

Never read the old EU, have you. Because let me tell you, TROS wasn't AI, that was Keven J Anderson as hell.
Look we all wanted Luke to have a smoking hot redhead as his wife instead of being a celibate hermit with penguin aliens.

rebelmoon3.jpg

Numbers not looking good for Part Two.

Week 1: 23.9 vs 21.4M views (-11%)
Week 2: 34M vs 18.8M views (-45%)

Hardcore fans showed up during the first week(end) but now we're really seeing what WoM is like.

Interesting that Rebel Moon Part One actually rose to the #4 spot and got more views than it did during the previous week.

Last edited:
There is a major difference between Avatar and Rebel Moon. Everyone I know saw Avatar. It was a cultural milestone and I never doubted Avatar 2 was going to be anything other than a monster. This movie, outside of here on the hype and social media, I haven't met a single person who has watched these movies. Most don't even know what a Rebel Moon is. These are not going to leave any impact at all.

There is a major difference between Avatar and Rebel Moon. Everyone I know saw Avatar. It was a cultural milestone and I never doubted Avatar 2 was going to be anything other than a monster. This movie, outside of here on the hype and social media, I haven't met a single person who has watched these movies. Most don't even know what a Rebel Moon is. These are not going to leave any impact at all.

Yes I know, maybe my analogy didn't land, to be clear I know that Avatar is clearly king. Numbers there are objective.

The point of the analogy is that Avatar was anything but king among critics and people who discuss movies online. We by and large had fifteen years of snark about how nobody cares about Avatar, it made no impact, etc. And yet it was a spectacular success as I and a minority of others predicted -- because of viewership among the mainstream public, a group not represented by film nerds (us).

And I think if you look at a lot of movies on Netflix, there's a huge gulf (not as huge) between what film nerds care about and what movie watchers care about. These are apparently their ten most watched movies:

Screenshot_20240501-103810.png

Those are some incredibly good numbers, and most of those are either ignored or derided by film nerds. And I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people you know outside the Hype are unfamiliar with them.

Separately, the Super Mario Bros movie has spent 22 weeks (!!!) in the top ten, and it's widely derided among film nerds.

Yes I know, maybe my analogy didn't land, to be clear I know that Avatar is clearly king. Numbers there are objective.

The point of the analogy is that Avatar was anything but king among critics and people who discuss movies online. We by and large had fifteen years of snark about how nobody cares about Avatar, it made no impact, etc. And yet it was a spectacular success as I and a minority of others predicted -- because of viewership among the mainstream public, a group not represented by film nerds (us).

But to be clear, Avatar *was* critically acclaimed. The movie was nominated for Best Picture along with James Cameron as Best Director. And even while the sequel was not quite to that level critically, the film still got a Best Picture nomination.

Now movie message board nerds, yes, they like to bash everything and everybody that becomes a success lol

And I think if you look at a lot of movies on Netflix, there's a huge gulf (not as huge) between what film nerds care about and what movie watchers care about. These are apparently their ten most watched movies:

View attachment 89111

Those are some incredibly good numbers, and most of those are either ignored or derided by film nerds. And I wouldn't be surprised if many of the people you know outside the Hype are unfamiliar with them.

Separately, the Super Mario Bros movie has spent 22 weeks (!!!) in the top ten, and it's widely derided among film nerds.
But the fact they're ignored also shows you how little impact they have had on the cultural zeitgeist. Nobody cares about any of this stuff. Rebel Moon is going to be another movie on 10 years absolutely no one talks about

But the fact they're ignored also shows you how little impact they have had on the cultural zeitgeist. Nobody cares about any of this stuff. Rebel Moon is going to be another movie on 10 years absolutely no one talks about
10 years? That's the most generous thing I've heard someone say. It's going to be completely forgotten in a year or even months after the director's cut hit. Barely anyone talks about it now.

10 years? That's the most generous thing I've heard someone say. It's going to be completely forgotten in a year or even months after the director's cut hit. Barely anyone talks about it now.
Until the next attempt at creating their own Star Wars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"