• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

A new film vs. a new TV series

One day it´s going to have problems, do you expect that 2o years in the future we are still going to have a new batman film being released normally?
If they have a little budget problem and the studio begins to enter in the decline or has to postponed the batman films for some more years then it is allways possible to have a batman live action tv series.
Also, there has passed 5 years since Batman Begins and there has only been made one sequel, and after batman 3 it is possible that we have to wait 5 more years since warner bros. didn´t want batman 3 to be made before some Nolan decided to return, i doubt that they are going to replace nolan right after he does batman 3, i think that we are going to have to wait much time after batman 3

You could make great stories about Bruce waynes training and traveling before he became batman

Nolan has already covered that ground in BB, nobody's gonna spend money producing a series where the material has been satisfactorily covered already. If anything it will go against what Nolan has established or be so cheap looking that it will be a joke.

Now a GCPD TV show could be awsome. You never even have to see Batman ever, make it about Bullock, Montoya, Loeb, Gordon, do it NYPD Blue style with a bit of the crazy forensic CSI stuff and it could be great.

And a series that focuses on Bruce´s motivations is obviously a good material.

Batman Begins didn´t cover everithing from batman´s past, there are many tales yet to be told but a series about GCPD is actually a good idea too and if it was made when the batman films were not being made much then it would be great to cover that time.

whos to say it would be inferior to nolan's batman. its all about the acting, the cast, and whos writing and producing it. there could probably be a great batman live action show some day.

Budget.

Hollywood actors VS TV Actors.

Nolan VS TV producers

Nolans Batman is a tough act to top for cinematic films. Nearly impossible to top with a live action TV series.

One day it´s going to have problems, do you expect that 2o years in the future we are still going to have a new batman film being released normally?

No reason to believe it will not.

Look at James Bond.

The success of the Batman film franchaise is just beginning.

That´s what i though of, bond 23 is having problems and i´m saying that when batman has this tipe of problems then it would be a great time to do a tv series.
I said everithing i did thinking on the James Bond franchise and i think of this batman film series as a perfect bond film series, i had even many actor portraying the role

Now a GCPD TV show could be awsome. You never even have to see Batman ever, make it about Bullock, Montoya, Loeb, Gordon, do it NYPD Blue style with a bit of the crazy forensic CSI stuff and it could be great.

As interesting as that would be, without Batman, it would be nothing special.

There are enough amazing crime procedural dramas on TV; Criminal Minds, NCIS, SVU, CSI etc..

GCPD without Batman would be pretty bland. Keep in mind there is also a "Bat Embargo" with the films, so characters like Gordon and whatnot would be blocked from TV appearances.

That´s what i though of, bond 23 is having problems and i´m saying that when batman has this tipe of problems then it would be a great time to do a tv series.

You will be waiting ages and ages for that..

Theyve barely scratched the surface with Batman in the films. These are essentially still Batmans first adventures... before his sidekicks, the rest of his hugeass rogues gallery, Justice League etc

Bottom line is, neither Batman or Superman will get a live action TV series in the near future.

Films first, TV Series later

Yeah, i know but i don´t mind, the idea of a series with comissioner Gordon and comapanny is actually a good idea, and from what i saw Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were set in year one, i hope the 3rd is set in year one too and i hope that good directors continue the series after Nolan.

well i am still in the mind who knows how a bats tv show would end up. And cant knock all tv actors/producers/writers. Some are as great as film ones. Then there is film guys always doing tv shows/tv films and all that. So with the right folks on board it could be as good as what nolan has given fans.

But we are getting off topic of this thread, and should get back to the ideal of superman tv or what not.

As interesting as that would be, without Batman, it would be nothing special.

There are enough amazing crime procedural dramas on TV; Criminal Minds, NCIS, SVU, CSI etc..

GCPD without Batman would be pretty bland. Keep in mind there is also a "Bat Embargo" with the films, so characters like Gordon and whatnot would be blocked from TV appearances.

Not if you use villains of the type that batman would face. Why not have a season long arc following one of the crime families, or black mask (who is never seen in the show). There is lots to do with a GCPD show, heck, the comic was pretty good.

As for the Bond thing. Bond has had long breaks before, look at the 6 years between LTK and GE. Bond will always live on, he's a literary character and the books are still a going concern, the movies will happen in their own time ... but then as I said before, I'm a fan of literary Bond, the movies don't do much at all for me.

Yes we should but i´ll tell you too that i would also love a batman tv series with the pre-batman events and in some season make him appear as the batman

The only bond book i read was young bond: silverfin but i also want to read ian flemings books, and that´s also what i was talking about, a character has always some bracks.

Last edited:
The only bond book i read was young bond: silverfin but i also want to read ian levins books, and that´s also what i was talking about, a character has always some bracks.

Who's Ian Levin?:doh: Bond was written by Ian FLEMING.:oldrazz:

Silverfin was a decent book, Higson's series got better as it went along though.

Not if you use villains of the type that batman would face. Why not have a season long arc following one of the crime families, or black mask (who is never seen in the show). There is lots to do with a GCPD show, heck, the comic was pretty good.

All the Batman rogues are tied up with the movies, so there really wouldn't be much to cover.

I know that it was writen by ian fleming, i dont know how this happened, how coul i have spelled the name wrong?

If you say so, even missing the keys on all counts there's no way you could get Levin from Fleming.

Even i don´t know how i spelled it so wron, maibe i was thinking of the name levin, even i don´t know

Budget.

Hollywood actors VS TV Actors.

Nolan VS TV producers

Nolans Batman is a tough act to top for cinematic films. Nearly impossible to top with a live action TV series.

I've come to find that most TV actors are better actors than Hollywood actors, but they just break in and stay on the television. This could be because there given time to get into there characters, but still. This has nothing to do with a film vs. a television series, but I just wanted to throw this out there. It's why I'm happy they are looking at television actors to play Superman in the new film.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm more of a television guy. I like getting to know characters inside and out, growing with them over the course a series exploring there lives and new storylines every season. But, Superman is too big for a live action television series, and Warners/DC needs the property to be too big for television. I've always been shocked that we have had two modern television shows about Superman with L&C and Smallville. I love it personally, because again I'm more of a television guy, but neither show has done the character justice and even if they had, the problems like SFX and layout of a television series would have still led to people pissing and moaning.

Batman is too big for live action television as well. With DC characters and television, I think a Martian Manhunter series would be easy to pull off, a Flash series would work, Green Arrow and Nightwing would both be easy, and if you could stand some shoddy effects from time to time, I think an Aquaman television series could do really well. In terms of what characters have the most hidden potential for television based on source material, Aquaman, GA, and MM are at the top of the list. All three of those characters have so many awesome stories to tell and cool little worlds of there own that it's a shame they are just collecting dust. Although, I'm happy the Hartley led Aquaman show never happened, it would have been a Smallville knock off.

With all this said, if I had to come with a story idea for a live action Superman show, it would be the exact OPPOSITE of Smallville. I've mentioned several times on the boards that I like the idea of Superman basically being immortal and yellow sun keeping him alive until it goes nova. Well, lets see his life after Lois, Lex, the Kents, Jimmy, etc are gone. Superman Beyond if you will.

Last edited:
Superman can't be done well on a TV budget unless it's with a good BIG network; NBC, HBO miniseries etc, otherwise it would just look campy and lame.

I think Smallville proves that this isn't the case. Smallville's effects budget wouldn't be that big in comparison to what it could be if it where on another network & 95% of it's effects look very good.

The thing that they sometimes struggle to perhaps make as look as real as possible are the things that involve a fully CGI item/building/person who has been tossed from the sky or whatever..
That being said, effects on a TV show won't really get much better than what you are seeing on Smallville. Just look at Heroes, it was on NBC & its special effects where certainly not any better than what you where seeing on Smallville. Some were better, some were worse this is case both ways.

The main thing that the a special effects budgets intails in terms of TV isn't necessarily the quality of the effects.. but more how many effects that can be used.. at least thats what I think based on what I've seen from TV shows over the years.

EDIT - Oh also I just want to add, that after 10 years of Smallville & only 1 film in the past 20 years.. its time Superman had a stint on the big screen before returning to a new live action TV series.

Smallville has shown just how cool some of Superman's major villians can look in a live action setting on a TV budget. It is mouth watering to think just how badass Doomsday, Darkseid, Brainiac etc could all look under a mega budget. :up:

Last edited:
I think Smallville proves that this isn't the case. Smallville's effects budget wouldn't be that big in comparison to what it could be if it where on another network & 95% of it's effects look very good.

Smallville's effects are nothing great though, and they've been on the decline in quality during recent years, with the declining budget. I really noticed the difference during that shot of the fortress collapsing in "Arctic." It looked like a cartoon.

Not to mention 95% of the show focuses on relationships, characters, romance and drama... instead of actual action.

I do agree it depends on the network, but the time has really come for Superman to graduate to the big screen and make an impact like Nolan's Batman did.

Superman is too big for the small screen, and L+C and Smallville left much to be desired in the Superman dept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"