A Woman On The New $20 dollar bill.

I find this a rather odd choice.

Harriet Tubman was a great person, no doubt. But to replace Andrew Jackson? This choice just strikes me as cynical product of political correctness.

So it's odd to celebrate an older woman who miraculously rescued hundreds of slaves instead of a genocidal slave owner?

There's political correctness, then there's basic, common sense.

The two aren't always mutually exclusive.

So it's odd to celebrate an older woman who miraculously rescued hundreds of slaves instead of a genocidal slave owner?

There's political correctness, then there's basic, common sense.

The two aren't always mutually exclusive.

No it's odd because all the others are statesmen who greatly influenced the course of American history. And you know that.

Also, Jackson was not genocidal. As for being a slave owner, well, yeah, but so were Washington, and Jefferson. And several other presidents. Not saying he was a saint, but there's no denying he's one of America's most influential leaders.

They should just put the Brat Pack actors on the bills. I have it on good authority that Molly Ringwald committed no genocides.

pFLgUQe.gif

No it's odd because all the others are statesmen who greatly influenced the course of American history. And you know that.

Also, Jackson was not genocidal. As for being a slave owner, well, yeah, but so were Washington, and Jefferson. And several other presidents. Not saying he was a saint, but there's no denying he's one of America's most influential leaders.

If George Washington didn't help found the nation and was responsible for the trail of tears, I'd want him taken off money too.

Last edited:
So... The thinking of some is that Tubman's life an accomplishments are not worthy of celebration on our printed currency, is that what I am hearing?

...Never change Hypesters.

So... The thinking of some is that Tubman's life an accomplishments are not worthy of celebration on our printed currency, is that what I am hearing?

Yup.

I understand historical figures can belong a grey area between right and wrong but Harriet Tubman is not one of them.

Do you think her influence is on par with Jackson, Washington and Lincoln?

No one is trying to denigrate Harriet Tubman. The woman was a hero. But all the people on the currency are statesmen. People who have influenced, and or literally created the country.

If they wanted to do a series involving civil rights activists, with each bill having a famous activist that would be one thing. I would love a series using scientists.

If George Washington didn't help found the nation and was responsible for the trail of tears, I'd want him taken off money too.

You realize the alternative was genocide, right? You should read up on Jackson.

I mean, it was still horrible, but it was either removal, or extermination. Many contemporaries wanted the latter.

You realize the alternative was genocide, right? You should read up on Jackson.

I mean, it was still horrible, but it was either removal, or extermination. Many contemporaries wanted the latter.

So either full genocide or partial genocide via a death March.

Those were the only two options?

Is it possible Andrew Jackson didn'the care for Native Americans?

Last edited:
You should read up on Daniel Boone who gave alternatives to indian removal or genocide.

Surely he and other like minded people of that era wouldn't have done what Andrew Jackson did.

Getting a bit off track here, but I feel that Jackson's hands were tied. He could not send federal troops into Georgia, not with the Nullification Crisis hanging over the events (precursor to the civil war). The Georgians wanted to wipe out the natives, and there really wasn't much anyone could do. A lot of the federal troops who did carry out the removals, were bitter about it. Some because they thought it was a waste of time, and others because they wanted nothing to do with the business.

Jackson may have be a paternalistic (read: condescending) white supremacist, but he was actually trying to avoid the worst.

Also, it wasn't a death march. A lot of people died. Definitely. But again, it's the 1830's. Look at the Oregon Trail. Full of death.

Jackson was a complicated man. He adopted an Indian boy (a Creek no less), and raised him as a son. He even tried to get him into West Point.

When the Red Sticks surrendered to Jackson at the end of the Creek War, he gave safe passage for the women and children.

Jackson was a scary son of a ***** who shot his own men for cowardice, and left rivers of blood, but he wasn't genocidal. If he wanted a people dead, they would be dead.

I find this a rather odd choice.

Harriet Tubman was a great person, no doubt. But to replace Andrew Jackson? This choice just strikes me as cynical product of political correctness.

Tubman wouldn't have been my first choice, but whoever the replacement would be, Jackson had no business being on our money in the first place.

1) The Trail of Tears. Is it better than genocide? Yes. But the push for their removal was championed by Jackson, it's not like he was all "Oh, I wish they could stay, but they're going to get killed, so let's just move them".

2) He had no respect for the Constitution. Going back to the removal of natives, the Supreme Court struck that down and Jackson basically told them to screw off and did it anyway.

3) Jackson himself would never want to be on a bill in the first place. He hated paper money and he hated the federal financial system.

So yeah, good bye and good riddance. And thanks to Hamilton The Musical for saving it's namesake's place on the $10 bill. Personally, I'd have chose MLK Jr. or Frederick Douglas, someone more recognizable by the average citizen. But Tubman I guess makes everyone happy. Maybe if they ditch Grant down the line (another one who doesn't really make sense) MLK could go there.

MLK Jr. or Frederick Douglass would've made way more sense to me. Or even Booker T. Washington.

But honestly, I'm surprised this isn't happening until 2020. Will cash even exist by then? lol

MLK Jr. or Frederick Douglass would've made way more sense to me. Or even Booker T. Washington.

But honestly, I'm surprised this isn't happening until 2020. Will cash even exist by then? lol

Yeah, that was the strangest part of it. Is it really going to take that long to make new designs?

You guys forget the intention was to have a woman on the bill, not necessarily an African American.

Yeah, that was the strangest part of it. Is it really going to take that long to make new designs?

They have so much in circulation of the current twenty dollar bill, it will take that long before it's cost effective to introduce a whole new bill and phase out Jackson.

Ignoring the sheer irony of having Jackson on any bill, is it really that wrong to want to replace him with someone a little less controversial.

Ignoring the sheer irony of having Jackson on any bill, is it really that wrong to want to replace him with someone a little less controversial.

It's only controversial because idiots have a problem with a freedom fighter who rescued hundreds of slaves.

It's like being opposed to a Oskar Schindler being celebrated on German currency.

It's about damn time someone like Harriet Tubman was put on currency. Just take a second and think about what she actually risked and accomplished and why she deserves to be recognized by every generation.

I also think someone like Jonas Salk should be put on the 50. Giving away the polio vaccine for free to help the most people was an incredible act of compassion and selflessness. We need more Jonas Salks today.

I also think someone like Jonas Salk should be put on the 50. Giving away the polio vaccine for free to help the most people was an incredible act of compassion and selflessness. We need more Jonas Salks today.

JcjI3cc.gif

And it's a damn shame, too. Yay to the modern world.

The only two men on our currently circulating bills that didn't own slaves were Lincoln and Hamilton. That's it. Even Grant had a slave.

Neither Jackson nor Tubman are visually appealing. We need some hot people on the money.

Nickelback should be on the nickel.

Snoop Dogg should be on the dime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"