Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom on HBO

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
From Deadline:
HBO Picks Up Aaron Sorkin Pilot To Series
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

It’s official: HBO has picked up Aaron Sorkin’s hourlong cable news network pilot to series. The now untitled drama (formerly More As This Story Develops), which has been a virtual lock for a series order, centers on a cable news anchor (Jeff Daniels), his new executive producer (Emily Mortimer), his newsroom staff (Alison Pill, John Gallagher Jr, Olivia Munn, Dev Patel, Thomas Sadoski), and their boss (Sam Waterston). Together they set out on a patriotic and quixotic mission to do the news well in the face of corporate and commercial obstacles and their own personal entanglements. The size of the order for the series is yet to be determined, but it should be around 10 episodes.

Sorkin wrote the pilot after lengthy research during which he spent time at Keith Olbermann’s and Chris Matthews’ MSNBC shows as well as behind the scenes at Fox News Channel and CNN programs. Sorkin executive produced the pilot, which was directed by Greg Mottola, with Scott Rudin and Alan Poul. This is Sorkin’s fourth series after Sports Night, the Emmy-winning The West Wing and Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip, and the first one on cable. Sorkin, who won an Academy Award in March for penning The Social Network, is now the second writer-creator to do an HBO series right after winning an Oscar. Alan Ball followed his Academy Award for American Beauty with HBO’s Six Feet Under.
Deadline:
Aaron Sorkin’s New HBO Series Gets Title: ‘The Newsroom’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

The Newsroom. That is the official title of Aaron Sorkin’s upcoming HBO drama series, once known as More As This Story Develops. The new title made its debut in HBO’s just- released end-of-year trailer (video below), which highlights the network’s 2011 series and movies as well the upcoming attractions for 2012, including The Newsroom, represented by several frames, the first footage from the show to be released by HBO. Sorkin’s series has been without a title for the past couple of months though speculation about Newsroom being the top choice surfaced early this month following a post on TVNewser. At the time, the title had not been cleared. Its variation, The Newsroom, was confirmed by HBO as the official title today. The Newsroom stars Jeff Daniels as the anchor of a primetime program on a cable news network; Emily Mortimer as his new executive producer; Alison Pill, John Gallagher Jr, Olivia Munn, Dev Patel and Thomas Sadoski as newsroom staffers; and Sam Waterston as the network’s president. They were joined recently by Jane Fonda, who signed on for a recurring role as the CEO of the network’s parent company.
All I've read about this makes it almost sound like Studio 60, but set in a cable news network, rather than a sketch comedy show. But being on HBO instead of NBC, it's probably got a better chance for success.

Trailer online. Can't post it here, due to swearing. But it's good. :up:

The opening when he wigs out on that question was hilariously awesome!

I'm in! Long time since Jeff Daniels was in the light, trailer looks cool, and it being HBO doesnt hurt either :D

So, it's an Aaron Sorkin show about sarcasm and politics.

Again.

Eh, I'll still watch every episode. :o

They already got me with Sorkin and HBO, but it does look good, unsure about premiering it around the summer but it might work.

Looks amazing. Sorkin might be the best screenwriter of our time, and he transitions so well between television and film. Can't wait to check this one out.

Sorkin is the songbird of our generation

Sorkin is an ego-maniacal blowhard.

http://gawker.com/5877973/aaron-sorkin-is-ready-to-*********e-all-over-your-hbo-with-the-newsroom

The only thing this series has going for it is Olivia Munn

http://gawker.com/5877973/aaron-sorkin-is-ready-to-*********e-all-over-your-hbo-with-the-newsroom

I hate that "Not Sure If Serious" meme. But I'm very not sure if serious...

Looks amazing. Sorkin might be the best screenwriter of our time, and he transitions so well between television and film. Can't wait to check this one out.

Ehhhhh...

I mean, I love his work, but he is very repetitive. My earlier comment was only half meant in jest. It's part of the reason why Studio 60 failed, he kept writing about politics for a show with a setting that sometimes can accommodate that, but other times can't. There are other screenwriters I like better, like Micheal Chabon or Joss Whedon or Michael K. Vaughn or Stephen Moffat, who are a lot more versatile.

But then that's just my opinion, I value a writer's versatility a lot.

Ehhhhh...

I mean, I love his work, but he is very repetitive.

Yeah the outburst in the trailer was reminiscent of the Stuido 60 pilot but this time it's on YouTube instead of live TV.

Yeah the outburst in the trailer was reminiscent of the Stuido 60 pilot but this time it's on YouTube instead of live TV.

Still, it makes way more sense in the context of mainstream news, so this show will probably work out better.

I hate that "Not Sure If Serious" meme. But I'm very not sure if serious...

Quite serious. Although a bit profane, the link I posted sums up Sorkin perfectly. Guy is so utterly and completely full of himself, it comes out in his writing. It used to be a lot more subtle back in the Sports Night days, but now it's just unbearable. The entire premise of this show reeks of it and his personal hatred of the internet culture. Can't wait for all of the preachy 10 minute diatribes about the sanctity of the print media.

Quite serious. Although a bit profane, the link I posted sums up Sorkin perfectly. Guy is so utterly and completely full of himself, it comes out in his writing. It used to be a lot more subtle back in the Sports Night days, but now it's just unbearable. The entire premise of this show reeks of it and his personal hatred of the internet culture. Can't wait for all of the preachy 10 minute diatribes about the sanctity of the print media.

How did you get anything about a hatred for the internet from that trailer? I mean, yeah, it did show that guys rant getting plastered all over youtube, but realistically that would happen.

How did you get anything about a hatred for the internet from that trailer? I mean, yeah, it did show that guys rant getting plastered all over youtube, but realistically that would happen.

Wasnt basing my comments on that silly trailer. They're based on Sorkin's interviews about the series that were linked to in the link I posted.

That article is complete nonesense . If anyone thinks journalism is as good as it use to be they are leaving in a dreamworld . Its propaganda and the Kardashians for newscoverage . Journalism is just dreadful right now

Wasnt basing my comments on that silly trailer. They're based on Sorkin's interviews about the series that were linked to in the link I posted.

I didn't see any interviews. Why didn't you just link to those instead of a really bad article? That would make more sense.

What I really want to know TIH...were you serious about the Olivia Munn comment? :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"