ABC's "At The Movies" X3 Review

Reaction score
http://www.abc.net.au/atthemovies/txt/s1630847.htm

X-Men: The Last Stand

Review by Margaret Pomeranz
For the first time, mutants have a choice: retain their uniqueness, though it isolates and alienates them, or give up their powers to fit in. Opposing views of mutuant leaders Charles Xavier, who preaches tolerance and Eric Lehnsherr, who believes in the survival of the fittest, are put to the ultimate test - triggering the war to end all wars.

Margaret:
two-and-a-half.gif

The theoretical last of the X Men trilogy has a possible answer to everyone’s problems, a cure for the mutant X gene which has produced individuals with singular physical and telekinetic powers. But is being one of the mutants a disease to be cured? Opinions are divided.

After dying in X Men II Jean Grey, (FAMKE JANSSEN) returns miraculously to life with all her powers, a fact that causes concern to Xavier, (PATRICK STEWART). But Wolverine, (HUGH JACKMAN) who loves her, believes in her ability to control herself. Meanwhile Magneto, (IAN McKELLEN) is gathering forces to fight the supposed cure and he wants Jean as part of his team.

This Marvel comic based series has spectacular special effects – but they seem a bit soulless. It’s not enough to be dazzled by the pyrotechnics of contemporary technology, you need a bit of heart.

And somehow this film doesn’t seem to have as much as the previous one in the series. This is B-grade popcorn entertainment, so you don’t expect miracles, but a bit more concern with the dare-I-say it? Human values of the mutants who are an ethical breed for the most part, would have enhanced the film enormously.

I know i watched that, how dissapointing :(

The lack of heart in this film seems to be a common theme in the early reviews. Let's hope they're wrong.

This is the same reviewer that gave Spider-Man 2 a 3 out of 5, so...

-TNC

Hmmmm..interesting post however, I have never believed anything critics write or say b/c they are just giving their opinion and it all goes back too an individuals likes or dislikes. IMO, I am choosing to support the movie no matter what anyone else has to say about it b/c in the end it's about what I like and not about what a critic has to say just b/c the director & writer changed for the movie.

Just to put this review in context. Margaret P is usually very critical of commerical films and generally supports only independent films strongly. I am very surprised by how good a review she gave it. It came across quite positive on TV.

Yeah I just watched the review on ABC. But she still hated it.

But then again, they gave V FOR VENDETTA 3 1/2, and that was FANTASTIC. I gave it 5/5.

Ultimate Movie-Man said:
Yeah I just watched the review on ABC. But she still hated it.

But then again, they gave V FOR VENDETTA 3 1/2, and that was FANTASTIC. I gave it 5/5.

I would disagree that she hated it. She is usually far more virulent when she 'hates' something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"