• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alabama Legislators Pass Bill Requiring School Prayer Every Morning

DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs

Avenger
Reaction score
ku-xlarge.jpg

A key committee in Alabama's House of Representatives has pushed through a bill requiring teachers and students at all of the state's public schools to spend 15 minutes every morning in Christian prayer, even though a majority of legislators present say they opposed the measure.

Alabama, of course, is a churchin' state, ranked the "2nd most religious state" behind its neighbor, Mississippi. Alabama is also home to Roy Moore, the state Supreme Court chief justice who fought to keep a massive stone sculpture of the Ten Commandments in the state court building.

But that stand seems lukewarm next to the current House measure's planned compulsion of religion among captive pupils. The bill passed through the chamber's education policy committee late last week, according to the Montgomery Advertiser:

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Steve Hurst, R-Munford, would require teachers to spend no more than 15 minutes in the first class of each day to read, verbatim, opening prayers said before a meeting of the U.S. House of Representatives or the U.S. Senate.

Rep. Mary Sue McClurkin, R-Indian Springs, chairwoman of the committee, said she heard more votes in favor of the bill.

"It's what I heard as chairman," she said.
Only McClurkin and one other Republican on the panel actually voted "aye" on the bill. Two Republicans and one Democrat insist they said "no" to the bill in the voice vote; three legislators weren't even present for the vote. The House's clerk told the Advertiser that "the chairman of each committee has the discretion to decide the outcome of a voice vote."

McClurkin also voice-voted through a bill "that would allow students to initiate prayer in school and express their religious views in their schoolwork."

The sponsor of that bill told the Advertiser: "Every bit of this bill is already legal. It's just that no one knows it's legal."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/proart/?aid=2014302200019&pagerestricted=1

As a Christian I find this reprehensible! No student should be forced to pray at school. I understand the predominate religion there is Christianity but people of other faiths should not be forced to do this or atheist as well.

This has no chance of standing up to scrutiny yet they'll waste time and money fighting for it anyways.

'But Mrs. Hoover, I'm not religilous.'
'Shut up and pray, Ralph.'

Good job, Alabama! If this is signed, you'll have committed yourself to blowing tons of money vainly attempting to defend it in court!

Eh, it's not i'd ever want my kid getting an education in Alabama anyway :o

What about teachers and students who are of a different religion? Do they all have to read from the bible? What about Jewish or Muslim teachers? Will they have to recite some religious prayers that they have no faith towards? Would the students of different faiths be allowed to pray in their respective ways? The article just mentions the christian faith.

Also, it mentions that it "would allow students... to express their religious views in their schoolwork." Does that mean if they don't believe in Evolution and had to write a report on something that had to do with it they could just write "God did it. (Citation: The Bible)" and it would have to be accepted?

I'm not trying to talk smack against anyones religion but this bill is utter nonsense.

What about teachers and students who are of a different religion? Do they all have to read from the bible? What about Jewish or Muslim teachers? Will they have to recite some religious prayers that they have no faith towards? Would the students of different faiths be allowed to pray in their respective ways? The article just mentions the christian faith.

Also, it mentions that it "would allow students... to express their religious views in their schoolwork." Does that mean if they don't believe in Evolution and had to write a report on something that had to do with it they could just write "God did it. (Citation: The Bible)" and it would have to be accepted?

I'm not trying to talk smack against anyones religion but this bill is utter nonsense.

I'm pretty sure that all Alabamians are considered Christian until proven otherwise. Therefore the lawmakers didn't feel the need to take into account the rights of non-Christian teachers and students.

The sponsor of that bill told the Advertiser: "Every bit of this bill is already legal. It's just that no one knows it's legal."

You sure?

Damn,that's an airtight case right there. We just didn't know that this bill wasn't full of bullsh** :o

Ignorance breeds more ignorance, more ignorance leads to failure, failure leads to poverty. Congratulations on refusing to advance past your sorry state, Alabama. Being one of the worst states in the USA is quite a choice to make, and you are doing it spectacularly. :up:

Alabama and Arizona are making Texas and Florida look sane...that's how you know it's bad.

No they aren't. They're just making their own unique crazy. Everyone wants to stand out in some way.

Can we just allow people to do whatever they want? Prayer should be neither required or banned.

I hope aome brave muslim kid gets down on their hand and knees and prays to allah and that a buddhist or hindu meditates and that an athiest says the athiest prayer out loud.:D

Athiest prayer for those who dont know it
o5l7aub

Can we just allow people to do whatever they want? Prayer should be neither required or banned.

This.
As a Christian and as someone who lives in the bible belt, this new bill is nonsense. Let people do what they want. I think kids should be allowed to initiate prayer in school and express their religious views in their schoolwork when appropriate, as it says in the article, but mandating prayer is just absurd.
But as a side note, 15 minutes of prayer? That's sooo long.

Last edited:
This.
As a Christian and as someone who lives in the bible belt, this new bill is nonsense. Let people do what they want.
But as a side note, 15 minutes of prayer? That's sooo long.

It's a cool new prayer written by Rush. You've got to include time for the instrumental overture for keyboards and string quartet, the Neil Peart drum solo and the stream-of-consciousness rant that repeatedly references Heretics Of Dune.

Last edited:
As a Christian this news really saddens me. Forcing people to do something against their will is wrong. There is no excuse.

Seems like a moment of silence or optional moment of silence would be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"