Alex Garland Directional Debut "Ex Machina"

This is a movie that I'd been wanting to watch since last summer, and I finally got around to it a couple weeks ago.

I absolutely think it's an amazing movie, it raises so many questions about AI that will probably become relevant in the next few decades (if not sooner) and to some degree are even relevant now. A couple times I haven't been quite sure if I'm talking with a chatbot or a real human on various text-based websites, the fact that it's getting harder to tell says a lot about how far we've come; it's only a matter of time before someone perfects that and puts it in a human body, exactly like Nathan did in the movie. The scene that probably left the most impact on me was when Caleb freaked out and questioned that he might be a robot. I liked how the movie kept you wondering if Nathan was a villain or not.

My only real complaint is that the amount of F-bombs felt a little excessive, in a couple places I sort of felt like it was trying to earn it's R-rating. If you cut down the language, cut out the nudity (obviously you'd have to reshoot a major scene towards the end) this could easily be PG-13, and I sort of felt like it was already a PG-13 movie in R-movie clothes, but maybe some would disagree. It's not really a complaint per-say, but I will say that I saw Kyoko being a robot the second she walked onscreen, I sort of wish they had her act a bit more normal, maybe she could have even spoken Chinese.

Overall, it was a solid sci-fi movie (one actually based on an original idea for once), one that made you think without being too slow or boring. I'd say it's worth checking out, but I do feel the need to say that viewer discretion is advised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"