The Punisher Alt-Right Villains for the Punisher causing backlash.

MurkeNyou

Sidekick
Reaction score
So, call me crazy, if you are the kind of person who would be offended over this, maybe you shouldn't be a fan of a character that would see you as his enemy?

I swear, there is a encroaching group of trolls to various fandoms. I don't know how anyone who would be into hate & anti-government groups be into a character like Frank Castle.

The Punisher Season 2 Will Include Jigsaw (With a Twist) - IGN

Honestly, I expected this. He basically took on the MAGA Bomber in the first season so I don't really see why folks would be too upset about this. The first season was a slow burn revenge horror story where the monster was the United States Military. I think this fits in thematically with that.

Meh. It is what it is. Most of the people making these shows are liberal and hate conservatives, Republicans, and/or Trump. You can either write your little social media rants and make youTube vids about it and stew over it or move on.

Welcome to most mainstream film and TV for the last several decades or so.

Also the Lewis subplot from the first season was badly written and the worst part of the first season.

Every fandom has toxic components to it. Look at how bad the Voltron fandom got over shipping and Shiro. That included death threats and harassment of the creators. I'm not saying I approve, but that's the norm these days. Yet another reason why I think social media needs to die.

I go back and forth on the lewis subplot. I appreciated what it was trying to do in service to Frank, but upon rewatching the first season recently, it was hard to get through again.

I go back and forth on the lewis subplot. I appreciated what it was trying to do in service to Frank, but upon rewatching the first season recently, it was hard to get through again.

If they made it more like the Fall in New York story and made it one of Frank's former brothers in arms, it could've been fantastic, but that's not what they did.

It was one of my big problems with Season 1 and why I'm still not totally sold on Lightfood as showrunner.

The other subplot I hated was Frank and Micro's wife and family. Just ugh to all of that. it was so painfully predictable as well. Frank is a wanted fugitive who used to live in New York and was all over the news...and these people have no idea who he is?

I like Lewis's subplot and all. But it felt tacked on and unnecessary. It felt like it's it's own thing

On the actual thread topic...it's whatever. It's a vocal minority (for now I guess). I haven't heard much about it. And I don't get why anyone would care that the alt-right (read: white supremicists) are mad about it :shrug:

But honestly, and it's what I don't like about the series, I don't wanna see Frank vs corrupt military and all that. Maybe if it's like an White Supremacist gun running ring or something like in SoA that'd be cool.
I just want Punisher vs Gangsters. Not the Homeland security stuff, not the Micro family stuff. Just Punisher and crime stuff.

But this is the last season so I guess we'll see

Last edited:
I like Lewis's subplot and all. But it felt tacked on and unnecessary. It felt like it's it's own thing

On the actual thread topic...it's whatever. It's a vocal minority (for now I guess). I haven't heard much about it. And I don't get why anyone would care that the alt-right (read: white supremicists) are mad about it :shrug:

But honestly, and it's what I don't like about the series, I don't wanna see Frank vs corrupt military and all that. Maybe if it's like an White Supremacist gun running ring or something like in SoA that'd be cool.
I just want Punisher vs Gangsters. Not the Homeland security stuff, not the Micro family stuff. Just Punisher and crime stuff.

But this is the last season so I guess we'll see

It felt like something far removed from the show that didn't belong in The Punisher series.

What I want is Frank starting a never-ending war on crime itself. I want The Punisher.

It feels like a counterbalance to the troubling hero worship Frank Castle gets among right wing individuals - to the point that police officers will often have his skull when what he does should be the antithesis of their job.

How do you figure? None of the police in The Punisher hero worship Frank Castle.

He basically took on the MAGA Bomber in the first season.

Intriguingly, Lewis was more of a grounded real-world take whereas the MAGA Bomber is more like an over-the-top character that Garth Ennis would have cooked up: "a fitness-obsessed male stripper who dreamt of becoming a professional wrestler." Seriously, if that description fit Lewis - every review would say it's unrealistic.

Many police in our world do.
When the dude who created Frank Castle has to speak about this subject on the regular, there is a problem. It all started with those Chris Kyle fanboys, there is even rumors of at least one mass shooting killer wearing "skull gear". I honestly think this is a good thing for these bigots, because as the character states in the comics, he doesn't hang with nazis and gun fetishists. Maybe taking out a couple dozen skinheads who think killing immigrants is a great idea will send a good message.

Alt-Right is just the repackaged 21st name for Far-Right. Castle is the grandson of Italian immigrants and probably wouldn't befriend those Alt-Right hate group types.

In the comics The Punisher has gone after Neo-Nazis, Cartels, the Mob, White collar criminals, crooked cops/politicians, rapists, people smugglers, sex traffickers, cults, terrorists, Triads, Yakuza, war lords and so on. He will go after anyone he thinks is up to evil stuff.

Intriguingly, Lewis was more of a grounded real-world take whereas the MAGA Bomber is more like an over-the-top character that Garth Ennis would have cooked up: "a fitness-obsessed male stripper who dreamt of becoming a professional wrestler." Seriously, if that description fit Lewis - every review would say it's unrealistic.

The Elite wasn't very unrealistic at all. A much better written arc than the Lewis subplot. In fact, you had three different characters of different background who also hero worshipped Frank and tried to co-opt his message and mission. One was an upper-class elitist white guy, another one was a working-class blue collar vigilante type, and another one was a religious fantastic.

latest

Frank wasn't even really being a vigilante last season. He was mainly focused on the government conspiracy. He quit being Punisher at the beginning of the season and basically the end.

The Elite wasn't very unrealistic at all. A much better written arc than the Lewis subplot. In fact, you had three different characters of different background who also hero worshipped Frank and tried to co-opt his message and mission. One was an upper-class elitist white guy, another one was a working-class blue collar vigilante type, and another one was a religious fantastic.

latest

Frank wasn't even really being a vigilante last season. He was mainly focused on the government conspiracy. He quit being Punisher at the beginning of the season and basically the end.

By over-the-top I didn't mean it as a dis, but Ennis has a really hyper stylized world of villains in a good way - of which, the MAGA Bomber could have easily been one (nobody saw that guy's weird deranged background coming).

By over-the-top I didn't mean it as a dis, but Ennis has a really hyper stylized world of villains in a good way - of which, the MAGA Bomber could have easily been one (nobody saw that guy's weird deranged background coming).

His background was pretty normal. The kid was clearly suffering from PTSD. His father seemed to be a pretty average joe and not a bad guy, other than he probably should've been a little more proactive in helping his clearly troubled son.

His background was pretty normal. The kid was clearly suffering from PTSD. His father seemed to be a pretty average joe and not a bad guy, other than he probably should've been a little more proactive in helping his clearly troubled son.

Um the MAGA bomber was “a fitness-obsessed male stripper who dreamt of becoming a professional wrestler”.... that’s zany or at least it’s one of the most unique backstories for terrorists that I’ve heard of.

Um the MAGA bomber was “a fitness-obsessed male stripper who dreamt of becoming a professional wrestler”.... that’s zany or at least it’s one of the most unique backstories for terrorists that I’ve heard of.

Sorry, I was talking about Lewis in the show. I didn't realize you meant the character in the comics.

Sorry, I was talking about Lewis in the show. I didn't realize you meant the character in the comics.

Ah. No. I was saying Lewis is more grounded than the MAGA Bomber (the guy who sent packages to news stations, politicians, and celebrities). MAGA Bomber comes off like a colorful/odd Garth Ennis villain.

Lewis reminds me more of Timothy McVeigh.

Lewis is a tv show character. That MAGAbomber guy was a character out of Punisher: War Zone, except he's a real life nutball that whacked out.

I feel like Punisher will draw criticism regardless.The title character kills people in gratuitous fashion, so I'm not sure there is a way to write this character without upsetting someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"