The Punisher Alt-Right Villains for the Punisher causing backlash.

I feel like Punisher will draw criticism regardless.The title character kills people in gratuitous fashion, so I'm not sure there is a way to write this character without upsetting someone.

All superheroes are fascist when you really get right down to it. No one, in most instances, gives them their authority and they all take the law into their own hands. They violate the rights of criminals. And yes, even criminals have rights.

Also, these are still fictional stories at the end of the day.

Calling Pilgrim "alt-right" definitely seems to be a misnomer for how the character is written.

Last edited:
All superheroes are fascist when you really get right down to it. No one, in most instances, gives them their authority and they all take the law into their own hands. They violate the rights of criminals. And yes, even criminals have rights.

Also, these are still fictional stories at the end of the day.

Calling Pilgrim "alt-right" definitely seems to be a misnomer for how the character is written.
I agree with this. Pilgrim seems more of the flawed/evil preacher trope than "Alt Right." Lewis was more alt right than this

I haven't not seen beyond the first episode, but my guess would be the more accurate description would be "religious right" rather than "alt right."

I agree with this. Pilgrim seems more of the flawed/evil preacher trope than "Alt Right." Lewis was more alt right than this

I mean he's an ex Neo Nazi gang member but he also clearly resents his old gang now and considers himself reformed from that life. And in the end, he turns against his white collar billionaire corrupt bosses who are more like evil rich corporate CEO types than alt-righters.

I mean by the end of the season, Pilgrim is basically an antihero. Based on what I know about alt-right, Pilgrim never really fit the profile of "alt-right" or at least the liberal Hollywood view of it.

I haven't not seen beyond the first episode, but my guess would be the more accurate description would be "religious right" rather than "alt right."

The only mention of alt-right this season is when there's a passing reference to his bosses owning alt-right websites that make up stories.

Pilgrim is made out to be a more ultra-religious preacher who is flawed and conflicted about what he's doing.

The writers and showrunners clearly mis-characterized the character or they were just aiming for clickbait headlines.

Yeah...Pilgrim is a guy who in his past was more of an alt right white nationalist type, but had put that "behind him" (I know...whatever) and was now more of a religious nut.

Personally, I wish they had gone farther with that. Even the main plot that hinged on religious fundamentalism ideas didn't REALLY get into it.

Yeah...Pilgrim is a guy who in his past was more of an alt right white nationalist type, but had put that "behind him" (I know...whatever) and was now more of a religious nut.

Personally, I wish they had gone farther with that. Even the main plot that hinged on religious fundamentalism ideas didn't REALLY get into it.

I mean dude seems like he could give two ****s about Twitter or social media at all. How in any way is he alt-right?

When you think about it, it seems rather weird that rich corporate CEO billionaires would go through that much trouble to make sure their gay son stays closeted. I guess they were that scared of scaring off their religious right wing voter base.

That's why I feel like they should have gone further with it. I mean...they did SO MUCH CRAP to achieve that goal, but their motivation was really only given brief lip service a few times. If you are going to go that route, commit to it.

Pilgrim is nothing more than a religious nutcase, so this whole alt-right thing is nonsense

Anyway, I am 5 episodes into the 2nd season and I am loving it

He's a former Skinhead. It's like changing Golf Community Memberships in regards to the alt right/ religious right comparison.

He's a former Skinhead. It's like changing Golf Community Memberships in regards to the alt right/ religious right comparison.

yeah but at one point he even confronts his former skinhead gang and messes them up. He considers them sinners and he's born again.

The whole alt-right was just headlining clickbaiting.

When push came to shove, he turned against his masters. They made him out to be a sympathetic character. A religious nutcase, but he did genuinely love his sons and want to protect them from his bosses. He let Amy go and formed an alliance with Frank.

I would argue he's not the alt-right villain this season.

This is just me spitballing but my belief it was just the writers or producers of the show trying to push headlines and controversy to get people talking about the show. The alt-right angle is barely even present, and once again, there's nothing really alt-right about Pilgrim.

I guess arguably the Corbin Bernsen and Annette O'Toole characters are more the alt-right baddies, but they are made out more as ultra-right wing corporate billionaire types like Trump and his family.

The only mention of alt-right this season is when there's a passing reference to his bosses owning alt-right websites that make up stories.

Pilgrim is made out to be a more ultra-religious preacher who is flawed and conflicted about what he's doing.

The writers and showrunners clearly mis-characterized the character or they were just aiming for clickbait headlines.

And he had faded tattoos that were Nazi symbols or whatever, and a few mentions from him about how...like, in the past he would have judged Curtis as...something...can't remember what...based on appearance alone. It's there...it just seems like they didn't want to commit to it.

And he had faded tattoos that were Nazi symbols or whatever, and a few mentions from him about how...like, in the past he would have judged Curtis as...something...can't remember what...based on appearance alone. It's there...it just seems like they didn't want to commit to it.

Yeah but being a reformed neo-Nazi isn't in and of itself alt-right. When confronted by his old Neo-Nazi gang, he freaking smashes them.

I know...because they wanted to reform him so they HAD to include a pointless scene of him fighting his old buddies.

I don't think he was an alt-right character...I think the show didn't want to fully commit on a touchy subject.

The Punisher himself is a touchy subject these days. Oh well.

That's why I wish the show would embrace some comic book aspects a little more. Be a little more hard-boiled and pulpy like Max Payne (the games not the ****ty movie).

Use some cooler villains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"