Are American Comics Dying?

Facts. Certain people will not cheer for a black man's success unless he shares their opinions on various matters.

I'm glad for this move by Eric July and hope he brings back entertainment into the comics industry. Already ordered my copy!

And which opinions are those? On tax policy? On foreign policy? On use of page space in comics? Or are they opinions you don't dare espouse on this forum, or even in public?

Man worked for Blaze TV. I don't need to know anything else. Also hope you haven't fallen into the various other scams this lot has run with their books.

"We need to promote diversity in the comics industry"

*Black man launches his own comic to astronomical success*

"Wait, not like that."
This is a proper use of identity politics right here!

I can respect the hustle, but that doesn't change building an empire on bigotry is wrong. And a black person can do that very easily. Especially when their entire game is to appeal to cis men who are *******s.

Facts. Certain people will not cheer for a black man's success unless he shares their opinions on various matters.

I'm glad for this move by Eric July and hope he brings back entertainment into the comics industry. Already ordered my copy!
What are these various matters? Women not being objects, gay people being allowed to be married, trans people existing, etc?

Explain what you mean by "various matters."

It could be anything within political or social realms.
Let's try something specific. If a black creator is in favor of cops who are white supremacists, is it unreasonable to not support them? Do you have to support a black creator who thinks Nazis as cops is fine, because they are black, or otherwise one is hypocritical?

Agreed. Eric July spared no expense. The artwork is phenomenal. He really put the fans first.

I haven't really followed anything closely with it. But tye fact it's hit 1,700,000 in like 2 days is impressive. And I appreciate the fact he's keeping the company Apolitical.

Last edited:
I haven't really followed anything closely with it. But tye fact it's hit 1,700,000 in like 2 days is impressive. And I appreciate the fact he's keeping the company Apolitical.
Agreed. Keeping the politics out of his company and out of his comics. Hopefully others will follow suit. Strictly entertainment, nothing else.

Like I said, could be anything. Second amendment, birth control, public education, taxes, etc. Whatever people disagree about these days.
People have outlined their reasons explicitly and it's not a disagreement over tax rates. "Opinions on various matters" in this case is contributing to far right media and pandering to regressives. If he wants to garner support by pandering to misogynists, racists, homophobes, transphobes, then don't act indignant when people don't cheer that on.

People have outlined their reasons explicitly and it's not a disagreement over tax rates. "Opinions on various matters" in this case is contributing to far right media and pandering to regressives. If he wants to garner support by pandering to misogynists, racists, homophobes, transphobes, then don't act indignant when people don't cheer that on.
Do you have specific details and receipts on your claims that Eric July panders to misogynists, racists, homophobes, and transphobes? I'd like to see such proof.

Do you have specific details and receipts on your claims that Eric July panders to misogynists, racists, homophobes, and transphobes? I'd like to see such proof.
A brief browse of his Twitter account shows he remains proud of his work for the right wing Blaze Media, follows far right talking heads exclusively when it comes to political accounts, and his likes of Comicsgaters and others shows what kind of fans he's accumulated. But I expect you know that, hence the sealioning and playing to identity politics instead of engaging with why anyone would not support him. Given the incident that led to your extended vacation, it's not the first time either. And so I'm going to leave this as my last response. You know why people don't, and your desire to go in circles isn't particularly interesting.

A brief browse of his Twitter account shows he remains proud of his work for the right wing Blaze Media, follows far right talking heads exclusively when it comes to political accounts, and his likes of Comicsgaters and others shows what kind of fans he's accumulated. But I expect you know that, hence the sealioning and playing to identity politics instead of engaging with why anyone would not support him. Given the incident that led to your extended vacation, it's not the first time either. And so I'm going to leave this as my last response. You know why people don't, and your desire to go in circles isn't particularly interesting.
Right. I didn't you had actual specific details. You have what folks always have. Assumptions. And you know what happens when you assume. Deuces.

*reads through thread*
*does research concerning thread topic and association with certain other organizations and people*

All I can say is, yikes to a lot of the posts in this thread in favor of the topic at hand.

I would say this is like the recent Spider-Man: Lotus situation, but this is almost even worse, considering that it’s a public figure whose terrible views and associations have been known for years, he’s doing this project with a clear agenda, and the person is someone of color.

Ironically, one of the organizations he supports, an organization associated with Comicsgate, publishes a comic revolving around a fictionalized version of the real life figure of Bass Reeves, who, if he were around today, would totally be against the kind of people this guy associates with.

I’m all for supporting creative ventures and all that, but, cmon, there are better ways to do that than. This ain’t a hill worth dying on.

It looks like a cool comic and I enjoyed supporting it.

It looks like a cool comic and I enjoyed supporting it.

I recently put my pre-order in for cover C. Sad I missed the boat on cover A but ah well, it happens.

*reads through thread*
*does research concerning thread topic and association with certain other organizations and people*

All I can say is, yikes to a lot of the posts in this thread in favor of the topic at hand.

I would say this is like the recent Spider-Man: Lotus situation, but this is almost even worse, considering that it’s a public figure whose terrible views and associations have been known for years, he’s doing this project with a clear agenda, and the person is someone of color.

Ironically, one of the organizations he supports, an organization associated with Comicsgate, publishes a comic revolving around a fictionalized version of the real life figure of Bass Reeves, who, if he were around today, would totally be against the kind of people this guy associates with.

I’m all for supporting creative ventures and all that, but, cmon, there are better ways to do that than. This ain’t a hill worth dying on.
People who claim to be apolitical in what they seek out and who state that they only are looking to any media as simple entertainment are fooling themselves. Self awareness would illuminate that we are mostly entertained by the media that leans in our direction. Or in the very least, we are more apt to be repulsed by media that leans against our beliefs.

Politics aside. Is the book good? Can he write? If it’s good, it’s good, if it’s just somebody looking to cash in off brainwashed people so be it. If the book isn’t good then it doesn’t matter what the politics are. People seem interested so we’ll wait and see.

Politics aside. Is the book good? Can he write? If it’s good, it’s good, if it’s just somebody looking to cash in off brainwashed people so be it. If the book isn’t good then it doesn’t matter what the politics are. People seem interested so we’ll wait and see.

So far, the reviews have been very positive. Fulfilment began this week and people are receiving their books.

So, Eric Julys Comic is out...and it doesnt seem to be the roaring success that makes DC/Marvel shake in their boots.

Even CG and a lot of his fans seem to be not very pleased with what he delivered here.
Biggest problem seems to be the lack of movement and fluidity in everything.

Dialogue that feels clunky and unnatural drawn out, lot of movement transition that makes no sense, weird scaling in terms of characters vs environment...and Grammar problems.

Im not judging the comic since i havent and will not read it, i only saw a few of the panels in question...and they are really rough that make me question if they are even real.
Because no matter what i think about CG creators, i find it hard to believe that after all this talk and the huge backing financial etc, he would deliver something like this.

Very strange.

So, Eric Julys Comic is out...and it doesnt seem to be the roaring success that makes DC/Marvel shake in their boots.

Even CG and a lot of his fans seem to be not very pleased with what he delivered here.
Biggest problem seems to be the lack of movement and fluidity in everything.

Dialogue that feels clunky and unnatural drawn out, lot of movement transition that makes no sense, weird scaling in terms of characters vs environment...and Grammar problems.

Im not judging the comic since i havent and will not read it, i only saw a few of the panels in question...and they are really rough that make me question if they are even real.
Because no matter what i think about CG creators, i find it hard to believe that after all this talk and the huge backing financial etc, he would deliver something like this.

Very strange.

Turns out, when a creator who complains about the comics industry being ruined by being “too woke” makes a comic whose sole purpose to exist is to not be “woke”, and doesn’t back it up with good writing and art, it’s going to not be good. Who would’ve thunk?

Turns out, when a creator who complains about the comics industry being ruined by being “too woke” makes a comic whose sole purpose to exist is to not be “woke”, and doesn’t back it up with good writing and art, it’s going to not be good. Who would’ve thunk?

Yup...and that after he was even as pretentious as he was before the release.
The incredible arrogance, the fact that he took shots at everyone who works in mainstream comics, that they are just hired because they are "woke" etc and not talent.

This all, looking down on everyone who dared to question him, scamming his "fans" and all...and then he delivers something like this?

And then he has the audacity to act childish and claim that everyone who doesnt like it, hates him for his views etc instead of facing criticism like an adult...shamefull.

And the worst thing is that people still support him, like they do EVS despite the numeros scams and all.

So I read ISOM #1 today, at last. My copy came in last week (cover C, live in Canada so it took some time).

I won't pretend it's anything mind-blowing or revolutionary. The book is very much the pilot episode of what's to come: here are our characters, there are vaguely defined motives, but we are certainly given a sense of something bigger is coming, even if it's not right away. Eric clearly wants us to stick around for future issues.

The characters all have this "hidden past/dark secret" thing going on but seeing as how that's common practice for comics in general, I'm not going to harp on it. Like I said, the point is to entice us to keep reading. There are what feel abrupt jumps from one spot to another (one minute we're in a major metropolis, next we're out in the country) but there's just enough character dialogue to, again, keep us going.

The artwork is lovely. Every character, major, minor, or just background, looks like a human and not a cartoon character that didn't make it past the initial sketch stage. Gabe Eltaeb knows his craft and he's doing a fine job here. The colours are very vibrant. The opening fight between Yaira and Alphacore was fun to look at and I was able to follow the fight in a coherent manner.

For those wondering about the "apolitical/wokeness" nature of the book. I'm not gonna spend time belabouring what's already been said because this thread has seen plenty of it, and people have already made up their minds (especially those who don't like Eric as a person or creative talent). I will say that this book doesn't contain any heavy-handed messaging. It's just a story; plain and simple. There are one or two moments that, maybe, if you were really dead-set on it, you could interpret character dialogue as being about a black man describing how it's harder for him to build a business empire, but that will ultimately come down to your own sensibilities.

I liked the book overall and I am looking forward to the second one. If you want what is a fun read, great to look at, and is asking you to stick around, you'll enjoy ISOM. If you're looking for something to confirm whatever socio-political biases you already have about the real world, no dice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"