• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Are you thinking about what you bought? 10/14 - SPOILERS

Tron Bonne

All Ass, No Sass
Reaction score
Well, against my better judgment I picked up the first issue of Mark Millar's new miniseries Superior. The first issue was alright, though. Not a whole lot happened, mostly just the kid gets a wish from a cosmic monkey and becomes the old school pulp hero, Superior. Okay, okay, that was pretty awesome, but the whole issue was basically set up. It has the potential to go in a lot of directions; I'm hoping this actually stays as a fairly standard, fun superhero story without any deconstruction or "satire" Millar's been "attempting" lately. Maybe it'll be a trapped in a fantasy type of deal, but if so, Millar really doesn't set that up well, since the kid really doesn't seem like he's having all that bad of a time and has gotten over his disability pretty well (at least I didn't get that impression). Right now, I just hope Millar doesn't make me regret this series, but the first issue was decent enough.

Also, "The seven-fold smackdown several issues in the making! Girls versus boys who fight girls who hate boys! It's a nice day for a fight wedding! I LOVE COMIC BOOKS!" Casanova #4. Why aren't you read this, it's so good. Please buy the trade, I mean please, what do I have to do? Kill your pets? Because I will. :csad:

Man, Knight and Squire #1 was fun as hell. I'm totally not British in the least, but I nearly coughed up my muffin like twice over breakfast, just laughing at this. It's all just so absurd, but coherent enough that I never felt like it went so off the pool not to be funny. Nice that it was a done in one story, too. DC Britain is certainly a wacky place to be, it seems

Dang you, Tron. I purposefully skipped getting Knight and Squire, trying my best not to add to my already high comic total for the week. ($194, after my 20% discount, I think.) If a comic makes you laugh out loud, I generally have to give it a try. Hope my shop still has a copy.

Ok, just called, and it's in my box.

P.S. I STILL haven't had a chance to read a single comic this week. But, I'm promising myself that I am taking tomorrow off of substituting, just so I can read some comics and do some chores!

I'm hoping to get my comics tomorrow. If my wife isn't feeling generous enough to drive out to get them then I'll likely have to wait until Saturday... that sucks :(

The guy who runs my LCBS wasn't too thrilled with Knight and Squire.

And it was funny watching him get visibly upset and irate at what's happening to Daredevil in Shadowland...

Also... Shadowland 4 left a fair bit to be desired IMO as well... The dialogue in Wolvie/DD (not to mention the fact that Wolvie's in it in the first place... which Diggle seemed to almost self-parody with himself by posing that exact question), Punisher's "We should shoot him/I told you we should have shot him" stuff... Ugh...

Still curious to see how they'll wrap it up though.

Shadowland hasn't been where it's at. The story is far better in DD.

Dang you, Tron. I purposefully skipped getting Knight and Squire, trying my best not to add to my already high comic total for the week. ($194, after my 20% discount, I think.) If a comic makes you laugh out loud, I generally have to give it a try. Hope my shop still has a copy.

Ok, just called, and it's in my box.

P.S. I STILL haven't had a chance to read a single comic this week. But, I'm promising myself that I am taking tomorrow off of substituting, just so I can read some comics and do some chores!

Well, just to let you know, apparently some of the reaction has been mixed to it. I was pretty fond of it, though.

Shadowland hasn't been where it's at. The story is far better in DD.

I almost feel bad for Diggle man, i feel like this story didnt turn out at all like he envisioned it. There was so much hype and anticipation for this story and its being blasted everywhere as one of marvel's worst events. I get what Diggle was trying to go for in this story but man this just wasnt very well executed at all.

Well, just to let you know, apparently some of the reaction has been mixed to it. I was pretty fond of it, though.
Mixed nothing. People with negative reactions to Knight & Squire suck. It's basically a British, DC equivalent to iHerc--just pure, laugh-out-loud fun. It was pretty light on substance this issue, granted, but it serves as a great introduction to Knight and Squire's uber-British world, which I'm sure plenty of us, being neither British nor all that familiar with the relatively low-tier Knight and Squire, could use. Cornell even includes a little cheat sheet in the back to clarify some of the references for non-Brits. :hehe:

Thor was okay... ish... esque? Fraction's decompressing like a mofo, it seems, so we get literally about 3 pages of progress out of this issue's 22:

1) The big evil red dude pontificates a bit more and continues to look suspiciously like Odin before collapsing the big evil red dudes' dimension and hopping over to the recently conquered Alfheim, which apparently ruins Heimdall's starry-faced day.

2) Science-geek tells Thor about his "World Tree = alternate dimension nexus" theory. Throughout this segment, Thor continues to be a massive wanker (sorry, still thinking about Knight & Squire, I guess :awesome:) for no apparent reason.

3) My favorite of all: Thor decides he misses Loki sooooooooooo much that he's gonna resurrect him! I am not kidding. Fraction actually has Thor fly up and try to resurrect Loki. Given that there's a very Loki-esque kid on the cover of the next issue, he apparently succeeds, too. I'm pretty sure everyone on here knows I'm all about the brotherly love between Thor and Loki, deep and repressed though it may be. But even I can't think of any conceivable scenario where Thor would be so colossally stupid as to resurrect Loki after he was just killed due to his own machinations that destroyed all of Asgard.

So basically, I'm pulling for this otherdimensional threat of the big evil red dudes wreaking some kind of havoc with the gods' better judgment. At this point, I don't really see any other way this story works besides just patting Fraction on the back and gently breaking the news that he has no f***ing clue how to write Thor at all.

Justice League: Generation Lost started out pretty well but kind of lost me at the end. Basically, this issue is about Fire, Rocket Red, and Ice fighting the Metal Men. There are reasons and Booster, Captain Atom, and Blue Beetle are off doing something else for a few pages, but this issue pretty much reads like a thinly veiled excuse to just have half the JLI duke it out with the brainwashed Metal Men. Which I'm fine with. The Metal Men do that Super Sentai/Power Rangers thing of merging together to form one giant metal powerhouse, which was so silly it was fun. The JLI'ers are losing pretty badly, but at the very last moment, Ice goes apes*** and... turns into a living ice person with X-treme! ice spikes and chunks jutting out of her. Is this like the endgame for all ice-based characters? Suffice to say, this big revelation has left me cold :-)awesome:).

Invaders Now was decent. Not as good as the first issue, but still okay. There are a couple of things that weren't very good, like the art and the awkwardness of the Invaders' debate over killing the villagers and the art, but overall the story moves along and all is well. We get the explanation behind the big cliffhanger last issue--namely, why would the Invaders kill a whole village of innocents? It's played up as a conscious decision that haunts the Invaders to this day initially, but over the course of the issue it's mitigated so much by the facts that: the villagers had a world-endingly contagious disease, they were mostly mindless husks, and the few early test subjects who retained their minds literally begged the Invaders to kill them anyway. I mean, yeah, it's still a fateful decision, but this wasn't quite the "village full of happy innocents" it was initially presented as; really, they were all effectively dead anyway since Arnim Zola never created a cure and they obviously couldn't risk transporting the, again, ridiculously contagious and mindlessly violent brutes anywhere during wartime with any reasonable certainty that none of them would get loose and spread the plague.

But still, this issue served as good backstory to clarify the stakes of this big mystery threat. I'm curious about the mystical element the Golden Age Vision mentions. Cap points out that Arnim Zola is all about science, so clearly he's not acting alone. Looking forward to the next issue and how this whole plague deal is handled in the present.

I almost feel bad for Diggle man, i feel like this story didnt turn out at all like he envisioned it. There was so much hype and anticipation for this story and its being blasted everywhere as one of marvel's worst events. I get what Diggle was trying to go for in this story but man this just wasnt very well executed at all.

It was overkill with all the mini's and one shots. They should have just done the story in DD and maybe crossed over with T-Bolts or New Avengers. Both books would have benefited since they were being rebooted into the Heroic Age.

Diggle did screw up the execution. I won't hold it against him, I know for a fact that he's waaaaay better than that with his work. Hell, DD was on such a monster consistent run for 10+ yrs it was bound to hit a snag at some point. It's not the worst thing I've ever read.....but it's also not the best.

Daredevil #4

I would not call this the worst (mini)event Marvel has ever done; and, this issue wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Still, I've said it for a long time; Diggle isn't the real talent on DD; it's Johnston. Coming off of Bendis and Brubaker's run on DD, you have to put your own stamp on a title; and, I really felt like he was doing more imitation than inspiration. This issue really shows that. Diggle might have the idea; but, Johnston knows how to execute it better with his scenes and dialogue.

It's in the smallest details. One thing I mentioned in my last review of Johnston's DD was how much I loved the updated look of Kingpin. The cover might have shown him in that tacky white suit, but inside, Kingpin was all pimp! With this issue of Shadowland, he's back in the white, looking rather ridiculous.

Anyway, we get some decent action, and this issue plays out like an old school comic in the way that action is handled and the dialogue is presented. There is no Bullseye resurrection yet; and, maybe most disappointing, Typhoid Mary is quickly subdued. Also, was it just me, or did this issue felt a little rushed? (It's also a comic that should only cost $2.99. I burned through this issue pretty quickly.) :dry::yay:

Strange Tales 2 #1

Way over priced! $4.99 is asking too much for the average comic reader to spend on short 2-8 page stories that are a bit out-there. The only one that got a good laugh out of me was the final one with Magneto being turned into a refridgerator magnet for Galactus...and, the only reason I'll open this issue again is to get signatures at the various conventions of the writers and artists that contributed to it. :dry:

Iron Man: Titanium One-Shot

Big Iron Man week! Three issues came out, and this is my least favorite...and, the most expensive. (Another $4.99 comic!) At least I felt I got content for my buck. It's just I didn't like the content that much.

Let me be honest. I tune out much of the dialogue in an Iron Man comic when it gets too wordy with tech and business talk...and, this issue is FILLED with it. All I start seeing is "Blah, blah, blah."

But, let me talk about the stories in this double-sized comic. We get four, with the best being the first, called "Rail Guns, Power Ties And Titanium Men." It's a cute story which has Tony (almost too playfully) vying his talents against a cute, up-an-coming AIM gal, as each tries to one-up the other with their tech and brilliance. I wouldn't mind seeing that AIM gal again in the future...but, all the talking started making the story a bit hard to get through.

The next story, "Killer Commute," features Pepper Potts...and, let me just say, I'm getting seriously tired of Pepper Potts! We have to see more of her since the movies have come out...but, I liked it more when she was in the background rather than taking center stage.

The third, "Heavy Rain," is before Civil War, with Tony helping out SHIELD taking on Ultimo. It's mainly a lot of talk between Tony and Maria Hill as Tony battles the baddie. And, the fourth, "Hack," is a little interesting, as we see Tony being targeted by an old college rival for overshadowing him; but, it's over as quickly as it begins.

Not a terrible One-Shot; but, I'll forget about all these stories almost as soon as it's bagged. :dry::yay:

Iron Man By Design

This isn't gonna get a lot of sales, as it just displays all the variant covers that were done to promote Iron Man 2 back in the Spring. But, it's a beautiful cover (I love the feel of it), and the write ups for each of the covers is done nicely, explaining what how each cover represents a certain era, and the research that artist found about that time period or background. (Like Gerald Parel's cover for this book is a representation of Da Vinci.) If you're into art, this is one of the best "cover books" I've seen. I was simply blown-away. :woot:

Invincible Iron Man #31

This title has really picked up. For a while, I was thinking Fraction was going to have another all-talky issue again; but, all the stuff we've been reading before is finally paying off in this storyline. The car Tony's been working on, the cell phone Detroit Steel games, and the villiany of Justine Hammer and her daughter, Sasha, have led to this moment, as Stark is going to show off his new car. The ending has me dying for the next issue! :yay::yay:

Superior #1

Tron summed up this issue PERFECTLY! It's pretty much just about a "kid (who) gets a wish from a cosmic monkey and becomes the old school pulp hero, Superior." Nothing that spectacular happens in the book, as it's all set-up...and, I feel that I've read this before; but, I really appreciate that Marvel only charged $2.99 for it, when they easily could have raised that price tag by a dollar. It didn't wow me; so, I'm giving it a mild :yay:.

It was overkill with all the mini's and one shots. They should have just done the story in DD and maybe crossed over with T-Bolts or New Avengers. Both books would have benefited since they were being rebooted into the Heroic Age.

Diggle did screw up the execution. I won't hold it against him, I know for a fact that he's waaaaay better than that with his work. Hell, DD was on such a monster consistent run for 10+ yrs it was bound to hit a snag at some point. It's not the worst thing I've ever read.....but it's also not the best.

I disagree on one thing: Some of those minis have been the best thing about this story. I've loved seeing some of DD's supporting characters getting into the limelight; and, writers like Johnston have made them extremely interesting.

Any Star Wars fans in the house? My shop didn't have Knight-Errant#1 and I'm actually a fan of John Jackson Miller's work. Anybody pick it up? Thoughts?

I never pick up the Star Wars comics, but I did this one. I'm a big Star Wars fan; but, I feel I'm so far behind on all of them, that it's at the "why bother" stage. Something just told me to get it, and it's in my next reading batch.

Honestly, Star Wars comics have been pretty hit or miss for me but since I've got this feeling that the "regular" Expanded Universe is about to implode on itself, I felt that reading a pretty self-contained Star Wars story from a writer who hasn't missed a beat in his Knights of the Old Republic series should be a win.

I used to read Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic, but I cut them both in my big purge when I was saving to buy my car. What's Knight-Errant about?

I used to read Legacy and Knights of the Old Republic, but I cut them both in my big purge when I was saving to buy my car. What's Knight-Errant about?

From what I gather, its Miller's attempt at writing a strong female lead in a darker period of the Old Republic. Apparently in Knight-Errant's timeline, the Sith are feudal lords each out to get each other at the expense of everyone else. The main character Kerra Holt (a cool name for a Star Wars female)apparently has a longstanding grudge against the Sith in general and along with a group of rogue Jedi (this is apparently a time where the Jedi weren't really sure whether to pursue the Warrior or Monk path of their Warrior-Monk mandates) attempt to bring order to the "Wild West" of the galaxy.

KOTOR was awesome by Miller so I have high hopes for Knight-Errant. And I sort of like the idea of a Jedi taking the fight to the Sith rather than the other way round.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. I think I'll check for it at the shop next time I'm there. :up:

Also, "The seven-fold smackdown several issues in the making! Girls versus boys who fight girls who hate boys! It's a nice day for a fight wedding! I LOVE COMIC BOOKS!" Casanova #4. Why aren't you read this, it's so good. Please buy the trade, I mean please, what do I have to do? Kill your pets? Because I will. :csad:

:cmad::up:

I have the catapult ready....

I was also pleasantly surprised with Superior. I was dreading a more Wanted/Kick-Ass tone but got quite the opposite. The story really felt a little too much like "Big" but I will continue follow. Millar and space monkey have my attention.

Morrison and Cornell you are my DC drug. Return of Bruce Wayne 5 was a wonderful play up of everything noir, from the "dame" to Bruce's narration. Knight and Squire was a great quirky superheroes. I want an ongoing and I want more Jarvis Poker.

BPRD: Hell On Earth #3 - Awesome issue. The entire issue permeated with this impending dread and menace, and was absolutely chilling. There's this monster that pops up, and man, is it horrifying looking. Loving this series. Dark Horse once again shows why they're dishing out probably the best stuff in comics now.

Doc Savage #7 - Thank God for Ivan Brandon, Brian Azzarello and Nic Klein. This book has become so good since Malmont left the title with issue 4. The artwork is top-notch, with some interesting, but not very complex layouts. Let's just say Nic Klein is no Howard Porter, who was terrible on those 4 first issues. Ivan Brandon, co-writing with Azzarello has made a very compelling story here, with Doc and his buddies being dropped into a war-destroyed part of Afghanistan to find out what the deal is with this deformed child (or children?) and the supposed weapons of mass destruction they have. The writing is intense and the action is pretty cool. There's a scene where Doc steals a jeep armed with a machine gun while the field he's on is getting bombed. He fixes the gas pedal and steering wheel, jumps on back to the machine gun and shoots all the bombs before they hit the ground. Pretty hardcore. This has been awesome.

Return of Bruce Wayne #5 - Kinda nice getting an issue from Morrison that doesn't hurt my brain. We got alot of info here and I really enjoyed reading it. If Morrison just stuck to trying to tell me a damn story, and a damn good one at that, like in this issue, as opposed to trying to make our brains explode with crazy cosmic concepts, perhaps I'd enjoy it more. It doesn't help that DC completely blew the impact of Bruce's return, what with all the one-shots that came out this week, and the fact that ROBW#6 comes out AFTER Batman: The Return

Very hefty week in comics for me, in terms of quantity. In terms of quality, it wasn't a bad one. As always, rants and spoilers ahead.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 10/13/10:

BOOSTER GOLD #37:
Ironically, while the cover features a bit of "tentacle rape" innuendo (which Joe Quesada has never heard of), the lady sharing it with Booster is actually more dressed on the cover than within! And how she looks under Dan Jurgens' pen is not the same as under the pencil of Chris Batista. As I have said for a few months now, this title under Giffen & DeMatteis has mostly ceased to be a superhero title as it was and has often devolved into a traveling comedy hour. While in theory Booster Gold is still protecting the time line (which he did exactly one during their run, the first issue) and is hunting for some evidence in his fight against Max Lord of the present, in practice it has simply become an attempt to relive nostalgia with more JLI era stuff. And to be fair, that's fine. Time travel allows for that sort of thing to happen. After all, it's no accident that Chuck Dixon's run involved a lot of Bat-family stuff, or the Flash family got involved when Geoff Johns was still co-writing. So why not cater to their strengths? Why let a pesky thing like Ted Kord's death and editorially mandated insistence that he stay there get in the way of some good Blue & Gold romps; just set a tale in the past! What this has done for me is make this book into a read that, while I am reading it, is often very funny, and a good time. But I then have trouble remembering it. I like to imagine Giffen & DeMatteis as the grandfathers of the sort of half comedy, half dramatic adventure style of writing that Greg Pak & Fred Van Lente have done so well on Hercules material. Unfortunately, they don't seem as on the ball, or at least seem more willing to keep the envelope in the bwa-ha-ha territory.

This issue is better than the last two. Why? I happened to find it funnier. No other reason. Comedy is often very subjective. To recap, Booster went back in time to the 80's continuity to find some artifact from the past to prove Max Lord exists in the modern day, so they can stop him and avenge Kord (again). In practice, that has allowed Booster to join Ted in another of his madcap schemes, this time to recover a magical book. The affair involved Barda and Mr. Miracle for a while, but went haywire. The book wasn't recovered, Ted was turned into a chipmunk, and Booster was arrested, falsely, for stealing some planet destroying gizmo. Now they're in a space prison with Vril Drox, until a rampaging warrior woman arrives on the scene. Her name is Estrogina, and if that name doesn't tell you what kind of issue this will be, nothing will. She wants to punch her way out of the jail, kidnap Booster to be her "boy toy", and apparently eats Ted-munk. If it sounds crazy, that's only because it is. But don't worry. It all works out in the end.

To be honest, Giffen & DeMatteis have played the "very aggressive lady warrior shows up and is flirty while attempting to de-masculate the title hero" twice before in this run, with Emerald Empress and naturally, Big Barda. I just happened to find it was funnier this time around, for some reason. Maybe it was Estrogina's barely-there torn uniform, from the EMPOWERED collection. Maybe it was Booster's counter banter. One can perhaps see where some future stories could lead, and this comedy adventure that initially seemed like a lark will continue to stretch on. The quest for the Lord artifact has been abandoned, beyond a monthly whine about it from Skeets or Booster. The subplot of Booster taking an orphaned kid from the future and bringing her to the present with he and Rip only pops up for one page schtick every other issue. Maybe I should be reading the TIME-MASTERS mini series if I want more serious fare from Jurgens. At any rate, I think the problem comes down to there being little substance behind the comedy to stick with me. There is one bit where Skeets admits he's jealous of Booster's friendship to Ted, while acknowledging he shouldn't be so, since he's a robot. But all that does is introduce a funny bit later on. Still, this month managed to work out better than the last. I do wish a chase after a magic book in a story that doesn't really matter (because it is in the past) would get along a bit, though. But then again, maybe that's why people don't read IRON MAN LEGACY.

I AM AN AVENGER #2: The anthology series that has replaced AGE OF HEROES, this issue is more of a hit than the last. Anthologies tend to be that way, dependent on the collective collection of whatever tales are within. This month's collection is pretty good.

The first and feature story is a Steve Rogers tale by Greg Rucka, with art by Michael Lark & Stefano Gaudiano, with colors by Matt Hollingsworth. It's a small private story but it works on that level. Apparently, only one U.S. soldier actually died during the SIEGE (murdered by Daken), and Steve Rogers takes time out of running "I can't believe it's not SHIELD" to attend the funeral services. All of the military officers are honored and amazed that Rogers turned up, but the only one not in awe is the solder's widowed wife. She's in the "anger" stage of grief and directs a bit of it at Rogers. Other, worse, writers would have tried to make the story into some sort of political argument; Rucka doesn't. He portrays Rogers as a sympathetic soul who cares about every man he "loses" in combat, and always has, especially the ones who don't wear spandex. It's about 11 pages but very good. Greg Rucka is a writer I've heard about around the DC circles (supposedly, the only writer of the decade who handled Wonder Woman well besides Gail Simone), and I am curious if he will do more for Marvel. It may not be easy to impress anyone with short anthology stories, but I definitely liked this one.

The second tale is actually a multiple parter; the first in a Marvel anthology series since the last ASTONISHING TALES ended (and that had replaced another MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS relaunch). It's by Sean McKeever, who at this point is back to where he was at Marvel in 2006; a fine writer whose books just don't sell. Laugh at his TEEN TITANS run, that sold a lot better than his just canceled YOUNG ALLIES. In reality, his tale really is a YOUNG ALLIES story, focused on giving "Closure", the title, to Firestar and her ex, Justice. Of course, both of them were Avengers, and Justice is part of the Avengers Academy staff, so it counts as Avengers stuff, too. There is a little Old New Warriors reunion at a bar that is actually a cute scene. Things between Vance and Angelica are, naturally, awkward. She's just survived cancer, and he's on the rebound with Ultra-Girl. She retired from the spandex for a long time after the start of Civil War, and only dons it for emergencies; Justice never left it. They used to be engaged, until Angelica called it off. Unfortunately, some threat literally forces them to team up, and they run into the two opponents they least expected. The art by Mike Mayhew is "photo-realistic" and takes some getting used to, but I didn't mind. It wasn't so bad that their costumes had zippers or anything, and he's good with facial expressions. I liked the little nods such as Robbie Baldwin having long sleeves on, to hide the cuts. I suppose the continuity junkie in me might note how McKeever had Baldwin act WAY more fun than he has in AVENGERS ACADEMY, but it makes sense that if anything could get him to loosen up for an hour, it'd be a reunion at a bar with Rider and Vance (and Angelica happening to be there with her fellow Marvel Divas). It's these sort of "hey, the heroes know each other, and hang out like friends" scenes that the CIVIL WAR era robbed from Marvel comics, and I am glad they're back.

Paul Tobin may have climbed out of the MARVEL ADVENTURES ghetto, but his solo SPIDER-GIRL title hasn't debuted yet, so he's gotten another short strip, a two page Jarvis story. It's not bad, although Logan wanting to go out bar-hopping and land women is a tad out of place; the bar, yes, the "brats", no. He doesn't go out trying to land women like a college senior; he growls, goes to bars solo and women happen to be attracted by his short hairy manliness. The artwork's fine, and I loved how every Avenger has their own meal, that Hawkeye really loves pizza, and to Thor, a whole pig is just lunch.

The last story by Jacob Chabot is a D-Man story titled, "Pie Of The Tiger". If that alone doesn't tell you you're in for a good time, nothing will. It's one page long, but I've seen Bendis accomplish less within a whole issue of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. The artwork is very funny, reminding me of Al Jaffie from MAD Magazine in some ways, in that there are all sorts of little bits going on in the background of large panels. I won't ruin it, but it features a damn lot of Avengers and perhaps the best use of Noh-Varr since he became "the Protector", ever.

Last issue, while I liked the Iron Fist/Misty Knight story, it wasn't enough for me to justify recommending it for $4. This issue, though, is more justifiable, and it doesn't matter if one missed issue one, so long as you like good, entertaining tales with Steve Rogers, Justice, Firestar, D-Man, and even Jarvis. At least it is technically "extra sized", 23 story pages instead of 22. Take what you can.

INVADERS NOW! #2: Second part of this installment of the Alex Ross helmed Invaders series of mini's that Ross himself apparently barely writes. Christos Gage is the guy who gets the nuts and bolts installed in the script every month, and that was why I am aboard. This issue is basically an extended flashback sequence from WWII, which is the rarest scene of flashback sequences in all of comics (as rare as giant robots are in Japanese animation). Still, it manages to work out and elaborate on the plot of the first issue, while also elaborating on a little bit of continuity. Always wanted to know what provoked Arnim Zola to stick his head in a robot's torso besides just to survive the war? Now you'll know.

The "we murdered a whole town" gasp line is still true, although of course there are mitigating circumstances. Zola and the Nazi's had unleashed a virus on the town's populace that turned them into hulking monsters who infected anyone they touched, such as Allied soldiers. The only few who aren't immediately monstrous are still infected, and will eventually mutate. The Invaders were faced with a horrific choice, and had to make it. They didn't enjoy a second of it, though. The artwork by Caio Reis with colors by Vinicious Andrade is pretty good. All the heroes and mutated people look as one would expect.

To a degree this is an exposition issue, but it isn't bad, and I am still glad I decided to give this mini a chance. The original Vision is interesting, and while it is often overlooked, Spitfire is one if Marvel's oldest and longest serving super-heroines. The modern Union Jack is an outsider to the 1940's stuff as a more modern link in his legacy, which keeps him interesting. I wasn't surprised to see the old Nazi villains return (Master Man, Iron Cross, U-Man), but to be fair, they've shown up in prior Invaders material, so it isn't like Ross or Gage are doing something unexpected. Even Brubaker brought on a new Master Man quickly in his Cap run. It isn't an "essential" series, but it's entertaining for anyone who sees, or would like to see, the Invaders stand in as Marvel's version of the JSA. Gage, naturally, is a very competent writer and the artwork's good.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #31: Was THIS CLOSE to dropping this. I gave UNCANNY X-FORCE #1 a flip through, as it was recommended. But in the end, it came down to sticking with a $3 book (versus a $4 debut issue) of a series I was already invested in, that at least had characters I was invested in (versus X-Force, a team roster in which I literally don't care for any one of them enough to toss an extra $4 at my clerk). And the irony is I predicted how this issue would likely go, and I wasn't entirely wrong. Stark naturally survives the explosion. He gabs with Pepper a bit. The Stane women gab some more. And it ends with those drones starting to attack. It's so easy, a caveman could do it.

Yet this issue didn't seem as boring as some of the ones of the past, perhaps because we know the climax is in the horizon now. Still, if any title would benefit from being released as two trades a year, it would be this one. If I was reading this series in two chunks twice a year, it would likely be fine, and we'd all be heralding the pace. But in 22 page installments, it doesn't work. I don't think every American comic should follow the Japanese manga model. But some should, and this would be a poster child for it.

It's standard Fraction/Larroca/D'Armata stuff. The art is lovely, especially with the cars. Fraction is able to build genuine suspense. He has some flair for narration and some entertaining banter. But for a book about a man who can fly in a suit of armor, it is often in no rush to get to where it is going. STARK RESILIENT is on it's 7th chapter, and we know it'll stretch to at least nine. NINE. Not even CIVIL WAR, as in the story written by Mark Millar and drawn by Steve McNiven, was NINE chapters long. Not even HOUSE OF M, by Bendis The Horrendous was that long; his Ultimate Clone Saga was. This isn't nearly as bad as that, but while I do like that there is more of a sense of urgency in part 7 than in part 4, I do wish editor Stephan Wacker would encourage Fraction to whack out the stories faster and shorter. It's not Bendis level decompression, if only because Fraction is better with dialogue. There needs to be some sort of litmus test or board approved standard for making a story beyond six parts, as even at that length many are too long. Stark Resilient has a mole. Brilliant. Do we need to spend 19 pages going over this?

This was a week where, if anything should have encouraged me to drop this book and cut bait for good, it was a $30 week. But instead I want to finish the arc, and maybe see how Fraction will handle the Mandarin. That means I still have some sort of faith left for the future of the title. Maybe I fell for some of the NYCC buzz for Jan. 2010's IRON MAN #500, which will reward my loyalty with a $5-$6 price tag. I think Fraction may have replaced Bendis as the worst big name writer whose monthly work I haven't been able to leave easily. God forgive me. At least it isn't as bad, nor does it trash continuity as badly as a Bendis work (he's turned Aggomotto into a cluster**** of stupid, I am told).

The best action scene in the whole issue is on the cover. That's starting to get a little old by issue 31. If Fraction and Fred Van Lente could just switch Iron Man books for a month, I'd love to see what Van Lente does with an Iron Man book that "counts".

The problem is comic books are not being paced like comics anymore; they are being paced like TV shows or films. But if comic book writers want to work on those, they should. Comics should be a different sort of style, at least if the big two had a shred of creative integrity. Instead, this book is really just there to help the writers of "IRON MAN 3" come up with a plot.

Part II of II:

SHADOWLAND #4: Andy Diggle was on such a roll with the last two issues, but this one hits a road-bump and stumbled into EVENT-ITUS. No issue I felt punished me because I bought the Marvel company line that "you can only read the core mini and get the whole story". I mean, Marvel editors and corporate shills don't lie, right? Well, this issue definitely suffered if you didn't read DAREDEVIL, or even some of the spare one-shot's like GHOST RIDER. Things felt very awkward if you only read this, and at this point that is only making me more thrilled with THANOS IMPERATIVE. That's a REAL "mini-event".

I do have to say, though, the regular Cassaday cover inspires no end of "it came from behind" and "where is the Billy Club" jokes.

Elektra, who only joined up with Shadowland in the last 4 pages of issue three, now betrays them within the first three of this one. Well, that was quick. I guess given how many times Elektra has killed Hand ninja, or that Shredder-Devil wants to resurrect the guy who once offed her, he should have seen it coming. Wolverine, who in no way was involved in any installment of this series, appears with the rest of the street heroes as if he'd been in since the credits. Ghost Rider and Moon Knight are gone; banished to their own spin off material (as is Misty Knight, which I don't mind because I do read her series). The heroes rattle off who is still on Daredevil's side, and Black Tarantula isn't mentioned, not even by Spider-Man. That felt odd, since BT once thrashed him soundly by himself. I had to check the Internet, and right there that takes me right out of a book, more than a footnote would have. Seems DD killed him. Oh, gee. Not even a mention? A recap?

That's right, I'm supposed to be reading DAREDEVIL. And SHADOWLAND: GHOST RIDER. What was I thinking when I bought the company line? I'm just staggered when Joe Quesada or Tom Brevoort act all astonished when they get the implication that people don't trust their word. Unless you buy everything, there's no telling what is critical and what isn't until you're past it and it doesn't matter.

At this point Murdock is full-on possessed by "the beast", this demon that a cult of the Hand worship. So it's half the cast of New Avengers and a few extra street heroes taking him and his flunkies on, once and for all. In a way it is very much like an old beat 'em up, only not as self aware. Billy Tan does the art and Guru eFx the colors, and the latter really pop. I especially like the bits from Dardevil's perspective when the good guys attack. Unfortunately, it wasn't serious when the demonically possessed Murdock could out-fight Shang Chi & Iron Fist, or avoid Spider-Man's webbing; he just owned Wolverine. Heavens, he MUST be dangerous! There is a bit of an off putting glitch between artist and script in one bit where Spidey webs up Typhoid Mary to stop her psychic attacks, and she's moaning like there was webbing over her mouth, yet the art clearly shows there is none. Unless she really moans like that when her hands are webbed to a blindfold. She IS crazy. I don't know. The heroes pin DD down to stake him, but there's one issue left, so we have to be told once again that there's no Murdock left, "THERE IS ONLY THE BEAST!" Isn't that the second issue in a row that ended with a statement like that? It doesn't count if Master Izo said it first?

I have to be honest. I only read SIEGE and didn't feel I was missing anything vital by not reading Bendis' other titles. This was a better story until here, where it's starting to tumble into "any moron who wants to save money deserves an awkward story" mode. It will degenerate into a fight next issue, which I don't mind. Like many stories, it probably is an issue too long. I imagine all of this is an exercise to exorcise the last few years of being in prison and being a mob boss out of DD so he can go back to being a masked lawyer again, but couldn't it have been done by asking the Illuminati for a favor? They did it for Spider-Man and he never passed the bar.

I suppose one issue that disappointed me more than it pleased me out of 4 isn't so bad, even if the first issue was a bit "meh". Still, a strong finish is the most important chapter. Hopefully Diggle gets that.

SHADOWLAND: BLOOD ON THE STREETS #3: This is the third installment, and penultimate chapter, of this spin off of Marvel’s “mini” event, SHADOWLAND, written by Antony Johnston with art by Wellington Alves, inks by Nelson Pereira and colors by Frank Martin. In many ways, this has turned out to be a more coherent and simple crime story than the larger series it is attached to. In effect, it is a murder mystery involving four little known Marvel characters that is only connected to the larger event via the connection to the Hand ninja that Daredevil currently controls; they’re suspected of being on a killing spree outside of Hell’s Kitchen, and while overwhelmed cops may believe that, it isn’t all as it appears. Misty Knight, Shroud, Paladin, and Silver Sable are on the case.

By this installment, the paths of the four characters are crossing more fluidly, which is expected. This was especially essential for Sable, who for the first two issues felt mostly on the side compared to the other three (although a quick revelation will likely encourage many readers to check some of the panels of issue two). All of the characters have different reasons for wanting to solve the mystery. The Shroud is acting as a simple vigilante hero. Misty, a P.I. with a cybernetic arm, was alerted to the mess by a mobster who wanted to hire her, who is also now dead, and her old cop instincts are taking over. An international criminal that Sable was trying to apprehend for Interpol was also a victim of the killer, and she has to solve the mystery to clear her name (and salvage her reputation). Paladin, a long time mercenary, has merely been cheated out of some paying customers and is looking for a paycheck (or cash) from someone. The art is very good, and the action sequences are always quite kinetic. Johnston has a handle on all of the characters and writes them all seriously, without any major alterations to prior material. Not every writer shows this much care even with higher profile characters. This issue alone has two fight sequences; how many comics these days can brag about that?

The only drawback is that there is no villain. There are minor mobsters, but the only one who had any lines was axed off last issue, and the rest are just minions to be bowled over. There are the Hand ninja, who appear for random attacks, but have been stated time and again to not be the real culprits of these murders. Whoever it is has been revealed, to the characters at least, in this issue, but won’t appear until the next. Hopefully it will be worth it. Johnston and Alves have certainly earned the benefit of the doubt here.

SHADOWLAND basically provided an excuse and a backdrop for all of these characters to be involved in a street action mystery, but I don't mind that so much, not when it's this good. This will be one month where the spin-off's will likely be better than the core series.

THANOS IMPERATIVE #5: Now this is Marvel's REAL "mini event" these days. No choosing between which ongoing tie in or side mini to buy. No bull****. It's one title and that's it. There's no telling what Marvel is doing with the space line so the only "safe" characters are Groot (who has been off panel since issue one) and Rocket Raccoon. That ups the suspense past the dial. Atop of that, you have two writers in Abnett & Lanning (DnA) who are still at the top of their game, and great art & color work by Miguel Sepulveda and Jay D. Ramos. There is less action in this issue than the last, and in a way this issue is really just setting up the climax. It does it in a better way than SHADOWLAND #4 did this week, though. It also had a slew of awesome or surprising moments.

One of the first is the form that Quasar's energy takes to survive the explosion from last issue. While Namorita and Major Victory have been saved from Dark Mar-Vell's gulag, the leader of the Cancerverse armada retreats back through the Fault to deal with the Guardians of the Galaxy, who have invaded with Thanos intent on putting the kibosh on his plans. The battle in the "positive matter universe" becomes more desperate, with nothing being able to stop their Cancerverse Galactus Engine. All effort is being put on the front lines, and even it seems to be delaying the inevitable. And does Nova just get possessed by a crown this time? Hell no. He's Rich Freakin' Rider. He deputizes Quasar to look after his Nova Corps and goes off to kick from ass in the Fault.

Meanwhile, things go wrong for the Guardians, as they tend to. They manage to survive the attack by the Revengers, and an alternate Scarlet Witch helps them, but then Thanos proves the only side he is on is his own. The stage is set for the final showdown. It is kind of a shame that some spare Guardians like Moondragon and Jack Flag have been forgotten in the chaos, but I did get a sense of a bit of loose end tying with the bit with Quasar. It is a bit of a shame that NOVA couldn't have gone as far as the potential allowed, but at least DnA see the writing on the wall, and are addressing it. I liked the little details about Nova needing to repair his outfit, and Namorita blowing him a final kiss.

Yet despite all this seriousness, the series still knows when to have some amusing banter and a comedic moment, which Peter Quill usually finds himself in the middle of. There are so many space characters in the mix that it's natural that some would come and go or be ignored for this (Beta Ray Bill's segment is probably over), but I am glad that this time it isn't Quill or Nova. This time they're essentially the leads. The finale should be better for that, at least. It will be tough watching the space line fade away a bit, but I'd rather it end on a high while we're cheering for an encore than when it's totally spent.

THOR #616: The second issue in, and I hate to sound like I was beamed in from the 90's, but most of the draw for me is Pasqual Ferry's art, with colors by Hollingsworth. It's a very pretty comic to behold. Even stuff like Kelda laying on a bed looks great, much less the other-worldly stuff.

It seems obvious in this issue that Fraction began writing his story to be set immediately after SIEGE. Kelda, after all, should have gotten over Bill's death by now, since she saw him in Valhalla during the last arc. Characters are still mopey and naturally Tyr is nowhere to be seen. I knew Gillen's run would probably become that; a stop-gap run between two A-List writers that will be ignored and forgotten, and sadly that has come to pass. Through Ferry's use of double-page lay-outs, five or six panels can take up two whole pages, which suits Fraction just fine. He's never in a hurry to tell a story in four parts when he can take fourteen. The evil red guys make their march across the nine worlds where Asgard should be. Heimdall has the gift to see the end come once again...at the precise moment Thor is not around, which seems to happen every day. And I see something I never thought I'd see; Thor being a total moron and Balder being the voice of sanity.

Just like that, Thor wants to resurrect Loki, because he misses his brother. Ah, what? Even taking place immediately after SIEGE, when Loki sacrificed himself, it was his ploy that brought Asgard down. It's ridiculously, awkwardly paced. On a whim Thor decides to revive his greatest enemy. Once again, he sighs and recalls those fond youthful times 14 trillion years ago when they hunted boars in the woods like Link in LEGEND OF ZELDA or something. As anyone who reads my reviews knows, I take the Thor/Loki dynamic very carefully. I get that they're brothers, and all that. But this I think is just paced awkwardly. I expected a reason for Thor to want to revive him besides, "I want to bare this loss with someone of my flesh." Um, what? I know they grew up together, but technically, Loki isn't of Thor's flesh. He's his step-brother that Odin basically adopted (or, as he names all after himself, "ODINDOPTED") from some dead Frost Giants. Furthermore, not long into JMS' run, there was this big reveal that Balder was actually Odin's son, too, and he technically was of flesh with Thor and had every right to claim the throne. What, did Fraction not read that? Did editor Ralph Macchio just not care? I know JMS is DC's newest stud now, but at least keep some of the details of his run, especially the key ones. Gillen did, for 10 whole issues. Fraction couldn't even manage two. So either Fraction didn't care about that Balder reveal, or his Thor is such an idiot he'd say something like that while Balder was in the same room. "I wish I'd had a brother to share this pain with. Not, you, Balder, my REAL brother. The evil, non-blood-relation one. The one who caused this pain. I miss when we used to fish. LICKETY, LOCKETY, LOKI!" and he's back.

By the cover of the next issue, it seems as if Loki may return as a child, and Thor may have a chance to "raise him right" or something. We know he won't, because that'd change the dynamic. And INCREDIBLE HERCULES already did that with "lil' Zeus", and it was funnier. And Volstagg and the scientist basically repeat the same stuff from last issue, and it makes no sense that Thor would dismiss it, especially since his alter ego is a doctor.

The art and colors are brilliant. But this is a four dollar book, and unlike SECRET AVENGERS, the signs of suck are showing sooner. Say that five times fast. I may cut bait now, or next issue. A shame, as there are some good ideas here and there in here. The invader force look cool and should provide a nice threat. The scientist's theories about how all religions in Marvel can co-exist and technically be right works. But it's the details that don't work. The pace is actually slower than it was under JMS. The best run of THOR I've read in almost two years was Gillen's, and his is being bypassed as soon as it ended.

One day we may get past the era when writers are dispatched to work on franchises they know little about, and to which editors care little about maintaining, and instead people will stick to their strengths. Today isn't it. After a few decent one-shots, I expected better, but Fraction is sort of like the New York Mets; saves his worst for the biggest moments despite all the big boasts and flashy lights. He was a decent writer once, but is devolving as fast as Bendis is. Maybe the more lax editorial gets with some writers, the more they tend to regress? While I may find it harder to de-tangle myself from INVINCIBLE IRON MAN, I should have less trouble ditching THOR. I did for most of my life.

And Volstagg and the scientist basically repeat the same stuff from last issue, and it makes no sense that Thor would dismiss it, especially since his alter ego is a doctor.
You forget, Dread: Thor apparently hates his own alter-ego according to Fraction, too. :facepalm:

You forget, Dread: Thor apparently hates his own alter-ego according to Fraction, too. :facepalm:

Which also makes no sense.

If Fraction wants to write his Thor, he is perfectly free to pitch a unique version to ICON and sell that. Mark Millar quite enjoys ICON, it is loading his wallet with desperate Hollywood cash, and Bendis is liking it too. If he wants to write the Marvel Universe Thor, shouldn't he get to know him? Write that character? Have an editor who protects it? For $3.99, surely expectations must be met.

Right, nevermind. :(

I'm trying not to judge it too harshly. It's only the second issue and the science geek specifically says that Asgard's absence is throwing some cosmic balance out of whack. I'm holding out hope that that imbalance is affecting the denizens of Asgard as well, especially Thor because he's already sort of imbalanced, being an equal mix of two realms, Asgard and Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"