• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ascension (Syfy space travel miniseries)

With each episode this show gets worse.
There's not a single cast member I like.
I thought it maybe the XO but on a ship full of hot chicks he's cheating with a woman of less attraction.
The starchilde is annoying.
The blonde investigator girl is doing stuff for reasons...she's brought in to investigate the project but then decides to leak the info to the conspiracy chick.

I agree about the investigator, it makes little sense.
About the XO : they are in love not in lust :)

Trivia : there is no Château Saint Cloud wine, it doesn't exist, the bottle of wine label was well done with only a minor fault, there is no "S" in "Mis en bouteille au Château" ( bottled at the castle ).

Last edited:
I'm still annoyed by the deceptive promotion, but Night Three managed to justify the "nothing is real" meta-concept and turned the show itself from something I was disappointed in and dissatisfied with into something I'd watch week-to-week.

^^
Ha ! :)
Myself too was a bit disappointed but with hindsight it wasn't that bad, at least the audience was surprised ( good or bad ).
I'm still at Night Two, I hope Night Three will be available on the net when I come home.

I really liked it. I'd happily take another miniseries or a full season.

I think it would have been better if the twist came at the end. If you look at BSG miniseries...we got to know the characters before it's big twist at the end. It's just none of these characters are really connecting with me. I wish someone would tell the starchilde that emoting is not just opening your mouth wide.
If this show goes to series I'd watch the first one just to see what they do but I can see this series being week in and week out..."Will they find out if they are not really on a space ship?" and that would get boring real quick.

I don't take the end of the first episode as a twist, it isn't really one for heavy hints were given in the dialogues between the lead scientist, his right hand and the director lady before the final reveal.
Anyway, as far as I'm concerned this is the last issue with the show.

It definitely is a twist. The existence of hints and foreshadowing doesn't make it not a twist. And I don't see how it's the least of the show's issues. I think it plays a pretty huge role in the show not being very good. It's a clear indicator that the show was built around cheap shocks without much substance to back it up.

It is only my point of view, it might be a twist by definition but I didn't took it as such.
And I don't see how it's the least of the show's issues.
For me it is, I am not stating a fact just my opinion.
Examples of more "serious" issues I have : no scientists on board after all these years figured out that something was off with the ship or the artificial sky, no one ever did an EVA and I will gloss over the pristine state of many items or furniture.

Anyway, I liked Night Three. The Captain and his wife are not a couple you trifle with.
And another twist at the end :)

NOTE : I am an easy audience, I don't over analyze what I watch.

I watched maybe 40 mins. of the second episode and it was boring. I missed why they brought the white haired lady (the investigator?) in, and the whole time it just seemed like she was there to have someone to explain things to. And the thing with the necklace was just weird. The one element of the show that I liked (the little girl) didn't really play a huge part, so I tuned out. What happened in the last episode? A twist at the end, what was it?

It is only my point of view, it might be a twist by definition but I didn't took it as such.
For me it is, I am not stating a fact just my opinion.
Examples of more "serious" issues I have : no scientists on board after all these years figured out that something was off with the ship or the artificial sky, no one ever did an EVA and I will gloss over the pristine state of many items or furniture.

1: Those are all flaws with the twist.

2: I've never understood why small nitpick things like that bothered people in TV and movies. There are bigger problems, such as basic narrative functionality.

1 : perhaps, yes, you are right but the examples I gave are those I thought about when watching the show, then again, I was not bothered by the twist than by those little details.

2 : I am not really bothered or a little let's say, see #1, it's just the reflections I made to myself : oh, all furnitures are pristine, no EVA etc but I don't give more thoughts on the subjects and just go on with the show.

About the narrative, as I said, I am an easy audience, as long as I can connect the dots and understand the overall story I am fine ( remember I am French and watch w/o subtitle unless the accents are too strong).
Example, the relationship between the blogger and the blond agent wasn't very well presented, I had difficulties understanding the why then, the next episodes I got that the blogger was the agent's girlfriend, that's cleared things up and I was satisfied.

I don't analyze things in depth as you guys do or it will cease to be an entertainment for me. I'm easy to please :)

EDIT : by the way, I saw Night Three yesterday, was that the last episode ?

Last edited:
1 : perhaps, yes, you are right but the examples I gave are those I thought about when watching the show, then again, I was not bothered by the twist than by those little details.

2 : I am not really bothered or a little let's say, see #1, it's just the reflections I made to myself : oh, all furnitures are pristine, no EVA etc but I don't give more thoughts on the subjects and just go on with the show.

About the narrative, as I said, I am an easy audience, as long as I can connect the dots and understand the overall story I am fine ( remember I am French and watch w/o subtitle unless the accents are too strong).
Example, the relationship between the blogger and the blond agent wasn't very well presented, I had difficulties understanding the why then, the next episodes I got that the blogger was the agent's girlfriend, that's cleared things up and I was satisfied.

I don't analyze things in depth as you guys do or it will cease to be an entertainment for me. I'm easy to please :)

oui, Monsieur... :yay:

Wait when did they show that they were girlfriends. In the first episode the blonde agent looked her up on the Internet.

just finished watching the whole thing in one sitting (minus commercials, almost 4 hours!) and depending on how well this does, I smell a series in the works...

If that's true, it's a series I know I won't be watching. I thought Night One was absolute garbage, and nothing I heard about nights two or three sound like they redeem it at all.

Hate the way it ended, but it was pretty good mini series.

They sure are betting on a renewal with that BS ending

Wait when did they show that they were girlfriends. In the first episode the blonde agent looked her up on the Internet.

In Night Two ( or maybe one ), the agent stated she was lesbian, in Night Three based on the interactions/dialogues between her blogger I understood/assumed they were intimate, the agent job was cover up, the girl was in fact an activist working with the blogger who was herself a fail safe in case someone ( like the blond ) went to close to the truth. Or I am totally wrong :)

Ok, so Night Three is the last episode, if it turns into a longer show I'm fine but if it's not the term "mini-series" is a bit misleading for I expect a beginning and an end but the end was more a cliffhanger ( a good one AFAIC ). Well, we shall see.

I'm only seeing 3 episodes on Hulu...but they are odd lengths (1 hour 7 minutes, 1 hour 19 minutes and 1 hour 26 minutes).

1 episode should be like 47 minutes or so, right? So...especially that first episode...it doesn't seem short enough to be one episode or long enough to be two presented as one. Anyone got any guesses?

Odd indeed. I was confused too, I thought it was a 2h x 3 episodes, 6h mini-series when I saw the trailer.

I'm only seeing 3 episodes on Hulu...but they are odd lengths (1 hour 7 minutes, 1 hour 19 minutes and 1 hour 26 minutes).

1 episode should be like 47 minutes or so, right? So...especially that first episode...it doesn't seem short enough to be one episode or long enough to be two presented as one. Anyone got any guesses?

I have all the episodes minus the commercials and those ARE the approximate lengths of the individual parts... why they're like that, I have no idea... minus the commercials, 6 hours becomes an almost 4 hour mini-series...

In Night Two ( or maybe one ), the agent stated she was lesbian, in Night Three based on the interactions/dialogues between her blogger I understood/assumed they were intimate, the agent job was cover up, the girl was in fact an activist working with the blogger who was herself a fail safe in case someone ( like the blond ) went to close to the truth. Or I am totally wrong :)

Ok, so Night Three is the last episode, if it turns into a longer show I'm fine but if it's not the term "mini-series" is a bit misleading for I expect a beginning and an end but the end was more a cliffhanger ( a good one AFAIC ). Well, we shall see.

But we saw the agent look up the blogger on the internet...unless they were intimate after they met but I didn't catch any of that...if they were I expected a little more emotion when their relationship came to an end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"