Asia-Pacific News Thread

I really hate book bans. :(

CCP trying to erase history. All in line with their usual behaviour.

Probably taking cues from Republicans.

Trump is inspiring all these other authoritarian leaders.

Trump is inspiring all these other authoritarian leaders.
I wonder. I think it's been a around for a long time, like it's somehow the preferred method of government. :( Time and time again there is always one group or another clamoring for it, expecting that they themselves will be the ones on top pushing the little folk around.

Not a good sign. I was really hoping that fighting there wouldn't happen. :(
It’s going to be a bit much if there’s conflicts of this scale on 2 fronts. :csad:

It’s going to be a bit much if there’s conflicts of this scale on 2 fronts. :csad:
Exactly. We've sent so much aid to Ukraine that I don't know if we have enough left over to send to Taiwan. :( There's only so many guns, tanks and planes to go around. :(

Exactly. We've sent so much aid to Ukraine that I don't know if we have enough left over to send to Taiwan. :( There's only so many guns, tanks and planes to go around. :(
I think the US has enough for everywhere lol. But ideally you don’t want China kicking off at the same time. It has an air of inevitability about it though that it’s just a matter of time unfortunately.

I think the US has enough for everywhere lol. But ideally you don’t want China kicking off at the same time. It has an air of inevitability about it though that it’s just a matter of time unfortunately.
I'd like to think you're right but we've spent billions on Ukraine. I have no idea what that sort of thing does to our arsenal. I'm sure the weapons makers are thrilled, lol.

I'd like to think you're right but we've spent billions on Ukraine. I have no idea what that sort of thing does to our arsenal. I'm sure the weapons makers are thrilled, lol.
The United States Spends More on Defense than the Next 10 Countries Combined.

According to that the US defence budget in 2022 was $766B and as much as the next 10 countries who spent the most combined! Also the idea is that the other NATO countries (who’ve increased their own spending since Russia’s attack) would also be contributing. But regardless, the last thing you want when you have one conflict is another conflict, and China is in a much better position than Russia.

The United States Spends More on Defense than the Next 10 Countries Combined.

According to that the US defence budget in 2022 was $766B and as much as the next 10 countries who spent the most combined! Also the idea is that the other NATO countries (who’ve increased their own spending since Russia’s attack) would also be contributing. But regardless, the last thing you want when you have one conflict is another conflict, and China is in a much better position than Russia.
Oh, I know we spend stupid money on this. I'm not so sure it's about China being in a better position so much as Taiwan is in a way worse one than Ukraine. Being an island and tiny makes them very vulnerable. I'm not convinced we could push China back the way we have Russia. :(

Oh, I know we spend stupid money on this. I'm not so sure it's about China being in a better position so much as Taiwan is in a way worse one than Ukraine. Being an island and tiny makes them very vulnerable. I'm not convinced we could push China back the way we have Russia. :(
An island should be easier to defend, but also Taiwan would be harder to provide assistance to.

An island should be easier to defend, but also Taiwan would be harder to provide assistance to.
Not really in this case because reports claim we'd have a bad time getting past a Chinese naval blockade, I think they may have more ships or a stronger navy than us. They can cut Taiwan off in ways Russia can't isolate Ukraine because of the NATO countries on the other side. That's what news reports I've seen claim anyhow.

Not really in this case because reports claim we'd have a bad time getting past a Chinese naval blockade, I think they may have more ships or a stronger navy than us. They can cut Taiwan off in ways Russia can't isolate Ukraine because of the NATO countries on the other side. That's what news reports I've seen claim anyhow.
Yeah, that’s what I was saying with the second point that Taiwan would be harder for the West to provide assistance to (compared to Ukraine), which is on Western Europe’s doorstep and directly accessible by land. But separately, an island is easier for the island itself to defend as they don’t have to worry about direct land attacks at all and the attackers have to make landfall while under fire somehow. Obviously China is many times more powerful than Taiwan so would be able to dominate by air, but to take over you need to occupy by land at some point. If Taiwan was linked by land to China then they could steamroll them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"