Asia-Pacific News Thread

That is horrible to hear, hopefully she does recover.

Hadn't even heard any of those that's horrific if the people charged with protecting citizens are doing that.

Seen quite a few of those the only real worry I have is a quite a few buildings appear to have been set on fire by protesters, that's a worry as a lot of these places look to only be shops on the ground floor. Yeah I think this is hard thing to convey purely in text without it sounding like you have a bias one way or the other, anyone reading my comments would likely think im either against the protesters or at least more on the pro-Beijing side but not the case.

Like you said it could turn out to be the case that's what the majority of these are, I just find it questionable that we tend to make excuses or caveats for these sections of the protesters. As there isn't any for the police (nor should there be). Hard to word this correctly just concerned that people will start to doubt or question information from the protesters side if we have a case of when the police do something awful it was definitely them where as if the protesters do something awful it could have been x or y. If that makes sense.
We HKers couldn't believe how corrupt our police turned out to be as well. Before June we believe our city has the finest police forces in Asia, and now we think they are worse than ISIS. A former German war correspondent even said he is more afraid of the HK police than ISIS because they are more unpredictable.

There were rumors about the horrible things being done to the arrested protestors ever since the protest started, but it has to wait till October that someone finally decided to stand out and publicly accusing the police of sexual abuse. You can check out the complete story though the link below.
'I am not the only one': Hong Kong student removes mask and accuses police of sexual assault | Hong Kong Free Press HKFP

And also this happened last week:
Woman files complaint against Hong Kong police over alleged rape in station | Hong Kong Free Press HKFP

You do have a legit reason to concern about making excuses for the protestor's behavior. In fact, I do think there has been a increasing tendency to rationalize what the protestors are doing because injustice occurred way more often than before. It is a vicious cycle.

Corporations and weak governments will bend the knee regardless of this news.

Some updates about the protest in HK...

While scolding the cilvilians, one of the police officer shouted, "Stay here you cockroaches! I want to see the Tiananmen Square Massacre happening again!"

And the police are launching another attack on University. This time it is on Polytechnic University, trapping large amount of protestors and students in the University.
Hong Kong protests: hundreds trapped as police lay siege to university

But what angered me most was this...

Finally some good news. In fact many HKers are already saying this is their happiest day in the past 5 months.

I have to wait for an hour before getting into the polling station and voted. Probably the first time I have ever seen so many neighbors showed up together in my estate.

And people are celebrating outdoor with champagne when the news of Junius Ho lost the election came out. (He is the main suspect behind the attack in Yuen Long on 21th July.)

This is the issue with trying to fight against reactionaries in the U.S.

Their fears are 90% of the time blown completely out of proportion paranoia stoked by moneyed interests.

And those on social media worried about "government overreach" by the Federal government, welp... You're getting what you wanted all along... A Federal government not doing jack ****.

But the truth for the rest of the world is different. Reactionary regimes are going to go overnight from "This is overblown" to "In order to keep society safe we will be imposing martial law for the forseeable future as this pandemic washes over the globe." Russia, China, Saudia Arabia, Hungary, N. Korea, all the usual suspects... The leadership in those countries will do their best to wring out whatever more control and power from this situation that they can.

And they are already arresting people for breaking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"