• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Attack The Block - Edgar Wright Produced Alien Invasion Horror Comedy

chamber-music

Infinity Ammo
Reaction score
From the producers of Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz, Joe Cornish's Attack The Block will be released May 2011

Attack The Block stars Jodie Whittaker (St. Trinians, Venus) and newcomers John Boyega, Alex Esmail, Franz Drameh, Leeon Jones and Simon Howard. The supporting cast includes Nick Frost (Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz) and Luke Treadaway (Clash Of The Titans).

synopsis

Attack The Block is a fast, funny, frightening action adventure movie that pits a teen gang against an invasion of savage alien monsters. It turns a housing estate into a SCI-FI PLAYGROUND. A tower block into a fortress under siege. And weapon wielding teenage thugs into heroes. Think ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 only with monsters and a tower block. Or LA HAINE crossed with ALIENS. It’s inner city versus outer space.

Trainee nurse Sam is walking home to her flat in a scary South London tower block when she’s robbed by a gang of masked, hooded youths. She’s saved when the gang are distracted by a bright meteorite, which falls from the sky and hits a nearby parked car. Sam flees, just before the gang are attacked by a small alien creature that leaps from the wreckage. The gang chase the creature and kill it, dragging its ghoulish carcass to the top of the block, with they treat as their territory.

While Sam and the police hunt for the gang, a second wave of meteors fall. Confident of victory against such feeble invaders, the gang grab weapons, mount bikes and mopeds, and set out to defend their turf. But this time the creatures are bigger. Much bigger. Savage, shadowy and bestial, they are hunting their fallen comrade and nothing will stand in their way. THE ESTATE IS ABOUT TO BECOME A BATTLEGROUND. And the bunch of no-hope kids who just attacked Sam are about to become her, and the block’s, only hope.

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0gm7dHKKc

The special effects are by the company that did X-Men Last Stand.

The movie is scored by dance music duo Basment Jaxx

For those of you who don't know the director Joe Cornish his one half of British comedy duo Adam & Joe who have had a few Television and Radio shows here in Britain.

You can find video clips of their shows on Youtube.

Cornish has also been co-writing the long talked about Ant-Man script with his friend Edgar Wright.

Last edited:
Wasn't the final film of the Cornetto trilogy supposed to be an alien invasion film?

Looks like fun. It's always interesting to see what a 'ghetto' is like that's not American.

Good news for you Yanks Attack the Block has been picked by Sony with screengems handling distribution. No word yet on a release date stateside.

Yeah, this should be great, the Adam and Joe show was one of my favourite tv shows back in the day, very funny. They used to open every episode with a movie parody using cuddly toys and Star Wars figures. They also used to do great pranks on people, setting themselves up as artists in Covent Garden, and doing really terrible portraits of people, going round shops with their own brand of sweets and chocolate bars, with ridiculous flavours and names. Really brilliant stuff.

There was a fellow on Film 2011 who watched it, said it was frickin awsome.
Not quite what the trailers made it out to be.

Got my Advanced Screening Tickets :up:

I can't wait :D

Joe Cornish was doing a film four promo thing.
He said he wanted to use practical effects rather CGI that looks like something you could do at home. He also taked about influences like Predator, it was really interesting.

i was a bit iffy about this, but the more i hear the more i want to see it. hopefully going this weekend

Oi blood, this film is gonna get clocked, standard.

Got my Advanced Screening Tickets :up:

I can't wait :D

As did I. :awesome:

I'm rather amazed St. Louis gets one of the screenings, especially considering Las Angeles did not.

Last edited:
As dide I. :awesome:

I'm rather amazed St. Louis gets one of the screenings, especially considering Las Angeles did not.
Wow and I'm going to the one in sacramento lol and we never get stuff like this...last pre screening I went to in sacramento was for be kind rewind lmao

So I finally saw this earlier tonight, at the St. Louis showing.

I must say despite all the praise it recieved at various festivals, I was suprised at how great this movie is. It deserves every kind word thrown its way. It is suprisingly well acted, and while some could have been a little more developed, the character were almost all great and despite their faults and hoodlum status, they are entertaining to watch and easy to root for.

The alien designs were.. inspired. It was an effective way of going about them but mostly it was just different.

Thats basically the best review of this movie: It was different. This movie comes out of leftfield in that it is absolutely a British film but completely different than any British film I've ever seen. This movie is breath of fresh air and I'm willing to say probably my favorite film I've seen this year.

Saw it last night as well, and it is all out awesome. I was actually surprised at how quickly things kicked off.

But it really is a great film, solid action, lots of humor, and some very simple, yet dynamic creature designs. The approach is essentally "Aliens", but with far less detail, and the teeth or see-through and glow green, instead of looking like metal. That in particular was especially effective.

Attack The Block was a Suprise Knock out...Cornish had a Fantastic Debut as a Film Director....he was Bold and took risks with a Classic Scenario but put enough of his own Jazz to make it unique and an instant cult classic.
One of my worries going into the film was the Dialogue and British Street slang might be distracting and difficult to understand and take me out of the film but actually it was exact opposite.It made me love the film even more and the cast did an exceptional job and making you feel thier characters and see thier culture in a new light.
Got to say the cast was amazing and well acted throughout the film even down to the young child actor who did a fantastic job and actually felt like they were not just side characters and the comic reliefs but exceptional characters that delivered all the way till the end.

Moses was a GREAT Main character and was played very well by Boyega.He really shined and his presence was known as thoughout the film he had swag,heroism,kindness and a stern but compassionate leader,Boyega made a fan out of me.

Also this movie has some great comedic scenes whoch of course are expected from a Wright film but you'll love it....the comedy is well placed and not overdone :up:

Overall it was a GREAT Film that i hope is successfull upon its release becuase it very much deserves it....do your self a favor and go and see this when its released nationwide.

I give it a 9/10

Attack The Block UK DVD/Blu-Ray released on September 19th!

Gutted I missed this in the cinema, definately going to buy it as soon as it comes out.

Saw this 2 weeks ago. Loved it! Can't wait to see it again. In my top 5 films of this year so far definitely.

Probably seeing this again on either Saturday or Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"