Batman/Superman Chronology

TheGrayGhost

Sidekick
Reaction score
I actually have two questions, and I hope some of you guys can help me out.

(1) After watching all three parts of The Last Son of Krypton (all very good episodes by the way), I started to wonder how STAS (Seasons 1-4) fits in chronologically within the context of the other shows in the DCAU, particularly BTAS (Seasons 1-4). Part III of The Last Son of Krypton briefly mentions Batman, indicating that he already is an established hero in Gotham. Does this mean that The Dark Knight began his crusade before The Man of Steel? If so, Bruce Wayne must be older than Clark Kent. Or does STAS simply occur around the same time as the first string of episodes of BTAS? This would make both of their debuts as heroes around the same time. However, this might conflict with the Batman/Superman crossover in World's Finest. Personally, I've always felt that Batman and Superman became heroes around the same time.

(2) For some reason, I didn't quite realize before that Bruce's mother and Clark's mother share the same name. Did anyone else notice this? Is there some kind of story within in the comic industry surrounding this? Or is it just a coincidince?

1) In the DCAU Bruce started first of course in the comics it's the other way around. Also I think it was Bats Second Season that World Finest occurs because before then there wasn't a Harley Quinn.

2) Martha Wayne and Martha Kent are just coincidence.

blksuperman2 said:
1) In the DCAU Bruce started first of course in the comics it's the other way around. Also I think it was Bats Second Season that World Finest occurs because before then there wasn't a Harley Quinn.

That's a good point, but I think the crossover occurred in the fourth season of BTAS.

It probably may not be best to look into it much. All that we really need to know is that Superman and Batman eventually meet.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

2) Martha Wayne and Martha Kent are just coincidence.

Thought so.

For awhile I was working on creating a timeline of all things DCAU. That stalled out for now because I'm having some trouble finding some of the episodes and issues, but I hope to eventually finish it. I'll let you know when I do.

Batman and superman crossover again in the Superman episode Knight time

Right it was Superman's second season to where World's Finest comes and Batman's 3rd season is when it happened. Remember that cross over did not happen till we saw Batman's belt change and most of the crossover's are seen in Superman:TAS, the only one seen on Batman is the Supergirl Batgirl team up.

Okay a few things

1) Batman pre and new animation continuity is a bit messy. For flashbacks in gotham knights, batman is wearing the same symbol when he should be wearing yellow. In other words the 2 series dont really combine well together.

2) Taking the original series into account. Batman was out and at least since the death of ***** parents. When we encounter robin dick for the first time, he's in college. We got like a decades worth of time between the death of robins parents and dick graysons graduation(near the time that dick quit the team). Then tim drake is probably robin during worlds finest. But even without that, batman has been doing his thing for a pretty long time.

So superman season 1 takes place around ***** fallout and tim drakes beggining tenure(assuming its within a year).

no Superman season 2 takes place around the fall out with him and Dick. Thats when the outfit changed when they made the Superman / Batman Adv. show.

i know bats has been around for a long time, by the mystery of batwoman dvd, he's been batman for over ten years...

hes definitely been around earlier than clark has as supes, although arguably supes earns his experience points much faster due to having more 'dangerous' villains (at least physically dangerous) which i suppose sells papers.

plus clark can always advertise himself to get some press ;)

Here's the deal...It's not set in stone. For us BTAS was out years b/f STAS came on, but it doesn't matter b/c for all we know, we could assume episode 2 of STAS "occurs" early in batman's reigns and there is just more time in b/w episodes of STAS which would slow up continuity enough for BTAS to somehow fix itself into the same continuity.

Furthermore, in the Bruce Timm world for all we know, Superman/Batman are the same age, its just that Superman took up the cape a little later than Batman. Either way you look at it, it can work out. Micro analyzing, however, may not.

TheGrayGhost said:
I actually have two questions, and I hope some of you guys can help me out.

(1) After watching all three parts of The Last Son of Krypton (all very good episodes by the way), I started to wonder how STAS (Seasons 1-4) fits in chronologically within the context of the other shows in the DCAU, particularly BTAS (Seasons 1-4). Part III of The Last Son of Krypton briefly mentions Batman, indicating that he already is an established hero in Gotham. Does this mean that The Dark Knight began his crusade before The Man of Steel? If so, Bruce Wayne must be older than Clark Kent. Or does STAS simply occur around the same time as the first string of episodes of BTAS? This would make both of their debuts as heroes around the same time. However, this might conflict with the Batman/Superman crossover in World's Finest. Personally, I've always felt that Batman and Superman became heroes around the same time.

(2) For some reason, I didn't quite realize before that Bruce's mother and Clark's mother share the same name. Did anyone else notice this? Is there some kind of story within in the comic industry surrounding this? Or is it just a coincidince?

1.) (Trying not to be repetitive) Batman and Superman first meet in the ''World's Finest''. This happens after the New Batman Adventures (season 4) starts and after the start of season 2 of Superman. Because of DCAU continuity, Batman would already be an established superhero at the time Superman started.

I think that Batman started before Superman, mainly because of art style and DCAU continuity...but thats just what I think.

2.) I guess a funny coincidence.

I worked out a Batman:TAS timeline and put it in the BoF forum last year. I didn't refer to Superman much, but it gives a basic outline of what happened throughout his career.

Should I repost it here?

anadinseawater said:
I worked out a Batman:TAS timeline and put it in the BoF forum last year. I didn't refer to Superman much, but it gives a basic outline of what happened throughout his career.

Should I repost it here?

go ahead i like to see what you came up with.

I second Rowen's request.

This is quite brief, and full of errors waiting to be corrected.

*-10 Bruce Wayne watches his parents die as seen in JLU's "For the man who has everything"

*0-1 Makes a vow to his parents and becomes a vigilante, later discovering the Batcave in Mask of the Phantasm

*+3 Dick Graysons family are killed. Lieutenant Gordon is on the scene, as is Bruce, who takes him in, as flashbacked in "Robin's Reckoning"

*+5 Harvey Dent is the new District Attorney as in "Pretty Poison"

*+9 Has a confrontation with the Joker, resulting in his skin discolouration as flashbacked in "Beware the Creeper"

*+9-10 Meets the Penguin, the Joker and petty thiefs.

*+10-14 Fights criminals as seen in the of TAS. Catwoman is a villain, along with the Scarecrow, Mad Hatter and Clayface. Starts wearing the familiar costume, gets a new car. Robin is part time as he also starts collage. Harvey Dent is scared and becomes Two-Face

*+11 Phantasm appears and kills mob bosses in Mask of the Phantasm

*+12 Robin joins Batman permenantely, having known his secret for some years

*+14 Events of Adventures of Batman and Robin

*+14 Events of Sub Zero

*+14 Superman appears in Metropolis

*+15 Meets Superman for the first time in Worlds Finest

*+16 Events of Gotham Knights. New costume, new Batmobile. The Joker celebrates the 7th anniversary since he fell in the acid as seen in "Beware the Creeper"

*+19 Events of Mystery of the Batwoman

*+20 Joins the Justice league

*+23 Justice League expands; Batman becoming a primary, yet occasional member. Justice League Unlimited

*+25 War on Earth with Darkseid and his army.

*+26? Final confrontation with the Joker as flashbacked in Return of the Joker

*+28? The Near Apocalypse of '09

*+30? Around here Barbara gives up being Batgirl, and Cassandra Cain may replace her, as seen in an alternative future during Justice League

*+40 Gives up being Batman as in Batman Beyond's "Rebirth"

*+43 Amanda Waller has Bruce's DNA put in Warren McGinnis's body as flashbacked in "Epilogue"

*+44 Terry McGinnis is born as seen in "Epilogue"

*+52 Phantasm tries, but refuses to kill Terry's parents. "Epilogue"

*+60 Recruits Terry McGinnis as the new Batman

*+78 Events of "Epilogue" in JLU

Prognosticator said:
Here's the deal...It's not set in stone. For us BTAS was out years b/f STAS came on, but it doesn't matter b/c for all we know, we could assume episode 2 of STAS "occurs" early in batman's reigns and there is just more time in b/w episodes of STAS which would slow up continuity enough for BTAS to somehow fix itself into the same continuity.

Furthermore, in the Bruce Timm world for all we know, Superman/Batman are the same age, its just that Superman took up the cape a little later than Batman. Either way you look at it, it can work out. Micro analyzing, however, may not.

Agreed.

anadinseawater said:
This is quite brief, and full of errors waiting to be corrected.

*-10 Bruce Wayne watches his parents die as seen in JLU's "For the man who has everything"

*0-1 Makes a vow to his parents and becomes a vigilante, later discovering the Batcave in Mask of the Phantasm

*+3 Dick Graysons family are killed. Lieutenant Gordon is on the scene, as is Bruce, who takes him in, as flashbacked in "Robin's Reckoning"

*+5 Harvey Dent is the new District Attorney as in "Pretty Poison"

*+9 Has a confrontation with the Joker, resulting in his skin discolouration as flashbacked in "Beware the Creeper"

*+9-10 Meets the Penguin, the Joker and petty thiefs.

*+10-14 Fights criminals as seen in the of TAS. Catwoman is a villain, along with the Scarecrow, Mad Hatter and Clayface. Starts wearing the familiar costume, gets a new car. Robin is part time as he also starts collage. Harvey Dent is scared and becomes Two-Face

*+11 Phantasm appears and kills mob bosses in Mask of the Phantasm

*+12 Robin joins Batman permenantely, having known his secret for some years

*+14 Events of Adventures of Batman and Robin

*+14 Events of Sub Zero

*+14 Superman appears in Metropolis

*+15 Meets Superman for the first time in Worlds Finest

*+16 Events of Gotham Knights. New costume, new Batmobile. The Joker celebrates the 7th anniversary since he fell in the acid as seen in "Beware the Creeper"

*+19 Events of Mystery of the Batwoman

*+20 Joins the Justice league

*+23 Justice League expands; Batman becoming a primary, yet occasional member. Justice League Unlimited

*+25 War on Earth with Darkseid and his army.

*+26? Final confrontation with the Joker as flashbacked in Return of the Joker

*+28? The Near Apocalypse of '09

*+30? Around here Barbara gives up being Batgirl, and Cassandra Cain may replace her, as seen in an alternative future during Justice League

*+40 Gives up being Batman as in Batman Beyond's "Rebirth"

*+43 Amanda Waller has Bruce's DNA put in Warren McGinnis's body as flashbacked in "Epilogue"

*+44 Terry McGinnis is born as seen in "Epilogue"

*+52 Phantasm tries, but refuses to kill Terry's parents. "Epilogue"

*+60 Recruits Terry McGinnis as the new Batman

*+70? Around here Bruce dies

*+78 Events of "Epilogue" in JLU

no he doesn't, as he's alive during the events of "Epilogue"... the episode ends with Terry and Bruce talking.

Sentry2005 said:
no he doesn't, as he's alive during the events of "Epilogue"... the episode ends with Terry and Bruce talking.

It's been a long time since I saw that episode, but surely he would be nearly 100 by then?

Edit- just seen some screenshots of the episode, and you're right.

anadinseawater said:
It's been a long time since I saw that episode, but surely he would be nearly 100 by then?

Edit- just seen some screenshots of the episode, and you're right.

then you're obviously wrong in your calculations... remember, BB is 20 years removed from DCAU, and Epilogue is ten years after that...

Beyond was set 20 years after Bruce quit, which itself was several years after Justice League Unlimited. The first episode saw him as a middle aged man with a bad heart. He was trying to rescue Veronica Vreeland's teenage daughter. In this time setting he is clearly older than his Justice League days, and even later than the final encounter with the Joker- he has gray hair too.

The official Batman Beyond website says he is in his "Late 70s, early 80s" during Beyond and as for Epilogue,

"According to Dwayne McDuffie, this episode takes place 15 years after the end of Batman Beyond. And according to Bruce Timm, Batman Beyond took place 50 years in the future from when the audience is watching it. (some promotional materials incorrectly said "40 years")."

Assuming that Beyond lasted for 3 years, that would add 18 years to Bruce's age, making him around 98 ish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"