• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

BvS Batman/Superman Movie - Cinematography?

EliteF50

Sidekick
Reaction score
With Snyder back at the helm, do you guys think they'll stick with the shaky cam/constant zoom in type of cinematography MOS had, or will Snyder go back to his steadier, more stylized type of cinematography like we saw in Watchmen?

Personally, I'd rather Zack work with Larry Fong again, seeing as Watchmen is one of the best looking movies in recent memory. I liked the style they shot MOS in, and it worked for the disaster story, but I do think Zack should use his signature slow motion/highly stylized comic book aesthetic for this movie.

What do you guys think?

Cinematography is definitely not one of Snyder's strengths as a director. Hopefully this next Superman flick will look better.

Cinematography is definitely not one of Snyder's strengths as a director. Hopefully this next Superman flick will look better.

I have never heard anyone say that before. :dry:

Usually that's the only good thing people have to say about him. You don't think Dawn of the Dead, 300, Sucker Punch or Watchmen were well shot?

Zack doesn't do cinematography, Fong did. If you guys didn't like MOS's then I would be campaigning Fong to return.

Cinematography isn't Snyder's strength? Wut. If anything, cinematography and overall visual directing is his biggest strength.

Anyway, on the topic, like I wrote in another thread:

I loved the camera work in Man of Steel personally. But I also think it was more of a special choice that was a great fit for that particular story they were telling. I don't think the style will completely carry over into a Superman/Batman film. Changing it up a bit, to fit the quite different film from MoS that it's bound to be, would be nice I think.

I don't and will never get why handheld, single camera and such are so generally disliked everywhere I go. Would be so boring if every film was all clinical and stylized. I like more than one way of doing things. I'm a fan of all approaches as long as they fit and are well executed. Which it was in MoS imo!

Only thing worse than almost non-stop shaky handheld cam is almost non-stop shaky handheld cam...in 3D.

I understand why they do it, because REALIZM IS IN, but I often find it a big detriment.

Zack doesn't do cinematography, Fong did. If you guys didn't like MOS's then I would be campaigning Fong to return.

The director more often than not has a big influence and say when it comes to cinematography. It's a collaboration with the DOP. Snyder is the director, it's his job to also direct the DOP. Just as much as the director directs and has control over most things in his/her movie.

And Mokri was DOP on MoS.

He's still got a big hand in the cinematography. Fong didn't work on Dawn of the Dead, but it still had Snyder's signature aesthetic.

Still, I agree. Fong should definitely come back.

I loved the camera work in Man of Steel personally. But I also think it was more of a special choice that was a great fit for that particular story they were telling. I don't think the style will completely carry over into a Superman/Batman film. Changing it up a bit, to fit the quite different film from MoS that it's bound to be, would be nice I think.

I don't and will never get why handheld, single camera and such are so generally disliked everywhere I go. Would be so boring if every film was all clinical and stylized. I like more than one way of doing things. I'm a fan of all approaches as long as they fit and are well executed. Which it was in MoS imo!

Agreed on both counts. I think MOS's shaky cam look worked for it because it was pretty much a disaster flick, but I don't think it'd work for a more personal story.

I think seeing Batman in 3D will be incredibly fun for me. Im sure ill see the movie at least once in 3D (not a fan of it to be honest). But im actually looking forward to it.

The handheld camera also worked wonderfully on the calmer moments in MoS imo. Beautifully framed, bringing a dreamy and surging feel.

Cinematography isn't Snyder's strength? Wut. If anything, cinematography and overall visual directing is his biggest strength.

In the case of 300 he totally captured the look of that comic but I find his penchant for slow-mo and fast-mo very annoying and the artificial closeups in Man of Steel were grating as well. Maybe that has more to do with editing than pure cinematography.

Still, I agree. Fong should definitely come back.

Yeah. His work on Watchmen and Now You See Me was impressive. As for Amir Mokri, I thought his work on MOS was okay... beautiful in spots, inconsistent in others. I'm fine with a bit of handheld camerawork (David Yates handled it well in the seventh Harry Potter film), but I think Snyder and Mokri overdid it in during the action scenes.

Whoever ends up being the DP for this movie, whether it's Fong or someone else, should cut down on the handheld shots.

There is EXTREME potential for breathtaking cinematography in this film, with two of the most iconic superheroes who ever existed being on screen together for the first time.

Definitely need some shots of both heroes on rooftops together, their capes flowing in the wind.

This image in particular, with Superman hovering in the air and Batman crouching on a gargoyle, is iconic.
1352507-batman_and_superman_by_jprart.jpg

Superman_wallpapers_178.jpg

New_Batman-Superman_Adventures_logo.jpg

Yeah I really hope the new movie is stylized more like Watchmen, I loved the fight scenes in that movie.

Can someone explain to me what the roles of the creative team actually do? I'm really confused on these things. What is the distinct role of each and how much control or say do each have? I feel like my definition of them are all wrong in what they do.

Director
Cinemtography
executive producers/producers

They need to ditch the shakey cam. Didn't bother me in MoS, but it's not like it helped the movie or anything.

and the cinematography was fine, but I could do with another approach, especially with Batman coming in.

Filming using shakey cam is not decided by the DOP, it is the Director's choice, DOP - Amir Mokri can film without the shakey cam.

So, if the use of camera work is something to complain, then change the person responsible for it, the director -Jack Snyder not the cinematographer (DOP).

Can someone explain to me what the roles of the creative team actually do? I'm really confused on these things. What is the distinct role of each and how much control or say do each have? I feel like my definition of them are all wrong in what they do.

Director
Cinemtography
executive producers/producers

Director: Directs the actors, gives them instructions/suggestions on their scenes, and approves the overall look of the film.

Cinematographer: Works with the director to determine lighting, filters, camera placement, and which film/digital cameras to get the look the director desires.

Producers: They help the director by monitor progress on shooting, make sure the film doesn't go over budget, and collaborate with the director on story development. Some people who get executive producer credit range from little involvement whatsoever, or almost full producer status. Christopher Nolan and his wife are EPs on the MOS sequel, and they will get paid nicely but have little input in the actual film. (Or someone gets exec producer credits because they directed a previous film or were attached to direct at some point.)

I know Snyder will get some iconic poses in there for the both of them. What he needs to stop using is the handheld shakey camera stuff.

Director: Directs the actors, gives them instructions/suggestions on their scenes, and approves the overall look of the film.

Cinematographer: Works with the director to determine lighting, filters, camera placement, and which film/digital cameras to get the look the director desires.

Producers: They help the director by monitor progress on shooting, make sure the film doesn't go over budget, and collaborate with the director on story development. Some people who get executive producer credit range from little involvement whatsoever, or almost full producer status. Christopher Nolan and his wife are EPs on the MOS sequel, and they will get paid nicely but have little input in the actual film. (Or someone gets exec producer credits because they directed a previous film or were attached to direct at some point.)

Nice sum up. :up:

I'll also add: Director is also heavily involved in the editing together with the editor. And even when the director hasn't written the script themselves, they often collaborate with the writers, telling them what they want etc.

All in all, the director does more than just direct the actors. They direct the whole thing. Steering the ship.

As I've said, I liked the camera work and setup in MoS. What I didn't like as much in the cinematography department was that the photography looked too drab and colorless in certain scenes. It worked in some parts, not so well in other parts. Especially the whole last fight in Metropolis looked too mushy – and not very hopeful as the movie set itself up to be.

Nice sum up. :up:

I'll also add: Director is also heavily involved in the editing together with the editor. And even when the director hasn't written the script themselves, they often collaborate with the writers, telling them what they want etc.

All in all, the director does more than just direct the actors. They direct the whole thing. Steering the ship.

thank you guys, cleared things up for me.

Yeah the color should definitely not be as drab as it was in MOS.

While I really liked MOS's cinematography, I'm hoping the overall aesthetic of the Batman/Superman movie looks exactly like Watchmen.

Get Larry Fong back please. I hated MOS' look. The ideal man for the job though would be Jeff Cronenweth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliSan
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"