Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology (blu-ray)

Two-Face

Harvey Dent
Reaction score
Batman: The Anthology Box-set (Blu-ray)

I been watching Tim Burton Batman movies (Joel Schumacher will be separate thing) but will be posted here I have no attention of creating another thread for his bat-films) and this could be like a review or an opinion on the Batman movies. Let me say first I love all his films. I can watch them over and over again without getting bored and not just Batman ones.

Burton has created his own Bat-world aka Gotham City with timeless you don't know what year Gotham is in - you look at peoples dresses you think it's 30s & 40s but the cars aren't 40s they are 80s & 90s. Batman 89 was great but bothered me was the Prince's songs - they do fit in the movie with The Joker.

As casting director said you don't have to be a genius to cast an actor for the role. When you see Jack Nicholson you think of him as a bad guy in movies and also he does look like Joker in real life and what makes him great as The Joker he is the Joker. I read on the net that they were looking Robin Wiliams, Willem Dafoe, David Bowie, John Lithgow, Tim Curry, and James Woods, were considered for The Joker sure Williams would been my second choice if Nicolson didn't want the role but I;m glad Jack wanted to do it and he loved Beatlejuice so that brought him on the table. Joker's origin here is great I would have done the same expect I would NOT connect Batman & Joker, Bruce's parents getting killed by young Jack. I would have used a random mugging a unknown thug killed Bruce's parents not even used Joe Chill but i can understand Burton's point of view here - Batman wouldn't have hated The Joker much as he did in the movie.

Now on the Dark Knight himself and I was watching this on blu-ray, lot of Bat-fans marched on the streets on casting Michael Keaton as Batman I can understand why they did it and I also understand Tim Burton's choice too. Keaton is a great actor but I couldn't see how a guy in a bat-suit fight crime and be playboy same-time - he's nothing like Bruce but one Thing Burton said which I haven't noticed was Keaton's eyes they were like a silent actor but you see it in his eyes that this guy can fight crime they are bat-alike If you what I mean. Keaton did a great job as Batman but as Bruce he seemed very private guy like in Returns he sits in Wayne Manor waiting for the Bat-signal to light up I thought that was great touch as Burton said lot of people complained "He just sits there waiting?" something like that but I don't min that scene now before it kinda bothered me in the past maybe I'm getting older has to do with it I don't know. According to imdb these actors were considered for the role: "Alec Baldwin, Jeff Bridges, Emilio Estevez, Matthew Broderick, Kevin Costner, Tom Cruise, Michael J. Fox, Harrison Ford, Robert Downey Jr., Kevin Spacey, Patrick Swayze, Dennis Quaid, Kurt Russell, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Charlie Sheen, Bill Murray, Pierce Brosnan, Tom Selleck, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tom Hanks and Bruce Willis." I didn't see Burton mention not one of the actors on Special Editon.

Like Jack Danny Devito is the Penguin and he was great in Returns I couldn't see anyone playing this role he's just too perfect for it. Again was watch this on Blu-ray, how Michelle P. Keaton, Burton and other actors & crew were kinda freighted of Danny because he would stay in character for the whole shooting months I saw video sorta attacking someone while camera was on (i don't it think it was real it was a joke) that shows how Danny is The Penguin. Again black stuff coming from his mouth showed he wasn't a human being I can understand prople complaining but this Tim Burton movie not a Batman movie but I love this movie either way.

Sean Young was cast as Vicki but injured her leg while riding a horse and he had to be replaced because there was one week left to shooting, The producers went to find actresses that were available for shooting and they looked several actresses were available and Kim Basinger was chosen which I think it was better choice than Young anyway. Basinger character wasn't hard to play either but Kim Basinger was a hottie in films I seen so yeah you got to have a hot actress to play Vicki. The only thing I didn't like was when she screamed so many times I read somewhere that she screamed 27 times in B89. Wow. Oh I almost forgot Michelle Preffier was so considered I read on Imdb but i don't believe that only reason Burton & co didn't cast her it's because Keaton & Preiffer had a relationship before "so it would be too awkward" I quote from Imdb oh really why would Michelle Preiffer sign on for Batman Returns as Catwoman?

Michelle Preiffer like Jack & Danny she became the character and was a perfect choice too I saw on SE that Sean Young came to WB's office as dressed up as Catwoman did a roar or something like that and Burton heard it from witnesses she did that. I wish I seen that! LOL Preiffer got the character just right she was sexy, dangerous and feisty you know didn't like Selina Kyle working in a big company who's a lowly secretary and brought to life by cats but again this os Burton movie not Batman.

Billy Dee Willims as Harvey Dent who becomes Two-Face in comics. again Harvey was;t given much screen time one: he was there with Gordon after batman appears in first opening scene and then second: Harvey appears in outside a court house with the mayor & Gordon. Third: He's seen in his own office with the mayor. fourth: by the near end of the movie Harvey is with Gordon and reads a message from Batman. he does NOT appear in Returns either I'm like where f**k Harvey went? Took a vacation away from Gotham? I don't wanna into Batman Forever yet since I'm talking about Tim Burton's Batman. Now I'm a big Two-Face fan here, I love Christopher Walken he's a great actor and nobody can deny that but I missed Harvey here Billy Dee should've been used here (I'm glad Billy Dee got paid even he wasn't in Forever)

Supporting cast: Michael Gough is Alfred to me. Pat Hingle was ok here he was Bob Kane's Batman's relationship with Gordon wasn't explored like Kane/Finger didin 1939/40s so I don't complain here like some fans do even though they know this is different Gordon not Miller's or Nolan's Gordon yet they still complain.

I loved the Batmobile, Batwing and Batskiboat in B89 & Returns man they were great addition to the Burton movies. They became characters themselves. If you read this far congratulations you have made it through. If you have Bat-questions please post.

NOTE: I did do spelling check if I missed anything on spelling or on the characters I apologise for that. Please let's NOT discuss Nolan's Bat films I love them differently so keep it on Burton/Schumacher movies.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting the Anthology on blu-ray, Two Face. I've had mine for a while now. Gorgeous, aren't they. Especially Batman Returns, which looks magnificent in HD.

Absolutely LOVE my anthology on blu-ray, definately recommend it.

Congrats on getting the Anthology on blu-ray, Two Face. I've had mine for a while now. Gorgeous, aren't they. Especially Batman Returns, which looks magnificent in HD.

Thanks man I wished I had them bit sooner. :D

I only watched Burton Bat movies and both film looks so crisp on 1080p HD. they did great job mastering the edges etc...

Thanks man I wished I had them bit sooner. :D

I only watched Burton Bat movies and both film looks so crisp on 1080p HD. they did great job mastering the edges etc...

They did. Crisp clear picture.

Did you get Nolan's Batman movies on Blu-Ray? They look terrific, too. Especially TDK.

out of the burton/shumacher films, i only have B89 on BD, and that's the only one i'm getting. i'm not gonna waste money on movies i'm never gonna watch. i did that with the anthology on DVD--it's not happening again.

Let's get started:

I love Joel Schumacher's films like Bad Company, Phone Booth, A Time To Kill and The Client some of these are very good films I believe that if WB let him to do Batman 3 his way I think we would have dark serious Batman movie and the cast would been the same as Forever maybe Keaton would have stayed or not. cos BF has some dark moments and you wonder what would have been.

Val Kilmer is the best choice to play Bruce/Batman, His Bruce seemed to playboy at day and crime fighter at night. Some people think he plays Bruce like wood (I'm not sure what that means but I saw people say that. I love his Batman and Bruce, I liked his batman voice a lot more than Keaton though Keaton's batman didn't say much when he did he did';t change his voice like Kilmer and don't even get me started on George Clooney! On the the sise-sicks Robin 's origin is very well done no complaiment here and I was ok with Two-Face been responsible murders of Dick's parents and it was very well done,. Bat-girl not been Gordon's daughter was wrong Alfred didn't have a niece but least they didn't forget Alfred here. Alicia Silverstone looked so hot in the suit I wanted to do things....

I won't be talk much about Joel Schumacher's Gotham because it sucks. It has neon anywhere it's bright lights sorta hurt my eyes I prefer Burton Gotham a lot here. Enough of that neon stuff. As of the BF producer said it feels "Saturday Night Fever with acid" I agree with thumps up.

The batmobile isn't too bad but looks like it's shows a part of a body stuck on the wheels and the suits are the best here minus the nipples I like them. the gadgets are great too.

Now on the villains: Jim Carrey was becoming huge star in that time. I guess they were right by casting him as The Riddler since third movie was gonna go camper, lighter so Carrey was there right place and time now if Carrey was ask to do more serious Riddler he would've done watch Man on the Moon & The Number 23. Carrey's Riddler was home-page to Frank Gorshin who played The Riddler on Adam West Batman show. The Riddler's suit is extreme and sametime brighter not what I would've used here.

Tommy Lee Jones as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, again it's a great choice but he isn't good looking as Bruce Wayne he is the opposite of Bruce I know but still Harvey was good looking guy before tragic thing happened on comics. I hate when Joel or others call him "Harvey Two-Face" it's not that, it's just "Two-Face"
There is wrong with this character here he isn't some jokester like Joel made him to be. He flips so many times when The Riddler & Two-Face invade Wayne Manor and he shoots Bruce after flipping so times that's wrong first time he flipped he got an answer said you can't kill him as Riddler says "If you kill him he won't learn nothing" he's right there.

Mr Freeze, Poison Ivy and Bane were terrible but Ivy's and Freeze's origin is not too bad like Robin's. There were too many origin stories here 1: MFr Freeze 2: Ivy and Bane. Too many villains but I blame WB here: more characters + more toys = more profits.

I feel sorry for Cast & Crew they knew this but it's not their baby. As I said before Joe;l Schumacher would've done dark serious move here if WB wanted to do it he mentions Frank Miller's Batman: Year One that he would have done it if WB let him his way. Oh well it didn't happen I would loved to see that happening and Joel making up the mess WB put him through and pleasing the fans.

Fair play to you for sitting through Batman and Robin again. I only watched certain scenes on my blu-ray one. Though it's great fun to watch with friends when you're drunk.

I only watched to listen Joel Schumacher really and also I bought the boxset which I just love boxsets.

edit

Last edited:
I'm not going to get the anthology, as Batman and Batman Returns are available separately now on Blu-Ray....i have no desire to see the Schumacher films in HD. I do own Batman Forever on VHS though......:p I loved it as a kid....

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"