'Batman v Superman' Fallout: Warner Bros. Shakes Up Executive Roles

It doesn't make a shred of difference to me. We won't know what they tweeked. Fans spend too much time on these what if's and if not's. I don't think they'll change their main plan/plots much. WB loves Snyder and they would of booted him off by now.
I got mos and bvs and now justice league part 1 and we will still get part 2 with Snyder because this is his story / trilogy. Part 1 and two are 1 movie essentially. Yeah they are looking over his shoulder but it'll still be his vision. Count me in.

I kinda am on the same page with this. I can't see what really has changed. Johns has been the Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment since 2010. It's more like a change in the name of his portfolio rather than his job description. Yes, probably it limits Snyder's influence a bit which is probably good but I don't see the applecart being toppled here.

So essentially everything after JL1?

You want me to have hope and optimism, Johns?

Then sh**can Snyder.

Yeah, this tonally needs to start almost immediately. Which I'm gathering was going to happen anyway given how Suicide Squad looks, but Johns is likely addressing JL more than anything else.

It's not "non-existent" - you literally just mentioned the animated movies and CW shows he did - which were all good, but not nearly as good as the animated movies/shows/games that Dini and Timm produced.

There's literally no denying that Dini and Timm are the best options to run the DCEU, but Geoff Johns is a great second choice. Johns work on Flash and Green Lantern speaks for itself and I think he's done a far better job with those characters than Dini and Timm could ever do

Ideally I'd have all three working together

^not to mention geoff's work on aquaman has been the best that character has gotten in years

Collider was right.

This is such a 'meh' change when you really think about it. Geoff Johns was always the creative officer and consultant in play.

This entire release screams of Damage Control by WB.

Collider was right.

This is such a 'meh' change when you really think about it. Geoff Johns was always the creative officer and consultant in play.

This entire release screams of Damage Control by WB.

creative consultant and the head of dc films is not even close to the same position:whatever:

Gotta love how they had to come out and clarify that after-the-fact.

"Whoa now! Don't get too excited, folks! I was talking about the comics!"

dark and gritty is not dc films problem it is bad storytelling and lackluster scripts

if BVS was light hearted it would still have bad storytelling

As usual, some continue with the hyperbolic nonsense, remember the "WB doesn't have a plan", "they will never do a Wonder Woman movie", etc. And no, all the movies won't have the same tone either, Suicide Squad is a different movie, the Flash will be different too, etc.

Before the release of BvS, the producers said Justice League will have a lighter tone:

According to producer Deborah Snyder, "Justice League" will have a lighter tone than "Batman v Superman," and that has a lot to do with the characters.

"Justice League' is a little bit lighter, 'cause some of these characters -- you know, Flash tends to be a little bit more comedic, I'd say," she explained.

"One of the things that lightens it is having Flash or having characters that are more optimistic. This movie is particular to characters who are having a crisis of conscience, which sort of draws them together," added director Zack Snyder.

"You didn't have to have seen 'Man of Steel' to enjoy ['Batman v Superman'], 'cause it's a standalone thing. ['Justice League'] will have some references to 'Batman v Superman,' and that story will feel in certain kinds of ways connected to it," producer Charles Roven also shared.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...be-a-littl-bit-lighter-than-batman-v-superman

Was there any question in your mind you’d write “Justice League” as well?

Chris Terrio:

I initially thought I wasn’t the guy to do “Justice League” and went off to work on something else. But the first day I went to the set, I saw Jesse [Eisenberg] in a scene with Holly Hunter and I really did feel like I was watching some strange, great performance in an independent film.

At that moment, I thought, “I’m not done with this yet. I want to go back and keep telling the story.” “Batman v Superman” is a bit of an “Empire Strikes Back” or “Two Towers” or any similar middle film in a trilogy. The middle film tends to be the darkest one. I do think from “Man of Steel” through “Justice League,” it is one saga really.

I expect “Justice League” will be tonally not quite as dark as “Batman v Superman.” From that point of view, I felt compelled to go back and try to lift us and myself into a different tonal place because I think when you write a darker film, sometimes you want to redeem it all a bit.

There are many more DC movies to come, including a second “Justice League.” Will you be writing more?

I have written “Justice League Part One,” but I won’t necessarily write “Part Two.” This has been the most rigorous intellectual exercise I’ve had in my writing life. For “Batman v Superman,” I wanted to really dig into everything from ideas about American power to the structure of revenge tragedies to the huge canon of DC Comics to Amazon mythology. For “Justice League,” I could be reading in the same day about red- and blueshifts in physics, Diodorus of Sicily and his account of the war between Amazons and Atlanteans, or deep-sea biology and what kind of life plausibly might be in the Mariana Trench.

If you told me the most rigorous dramaturgical and intellectual product of my life would be superhero movies, I would say you were crazy. But I do think fans deserve that. I felt I owed the fan base all of my body and soul for two years because anything less wouldn’t have been appreciating the opportunity I had.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016...ision-for-batman-superman-and-justice-league/

I like Geoff Johns, he's one of the best comic book writers, he has enough experience as a producer, he cares about the characters, he really loves them. Now he has more power, if he wants a Superman movie, he could make it happen. And he has worked with Richard Donner in the past, they could write the next Superman film, I won't be surprised if it happens. And the Flash is his favorite character, he will make sure the movie is good, maybe he will co-write the script too. :word:

dark and gritty is not dc films problem it is bad storytelling and lackluster scripts

if BVS was light hearted it would still have bad storytelling

Perhaps, but it might have at least been more enjoyable. I think WB's (and Snyder's) problem is that they have tunnel vision. They know grim and dark works for Batman, so they think that's the ONLY way to tell a superhero story, no matter who it is. And they're so determined to not be Marvel (while still sort of trying to be Marvel) that they can't see that you CAN make a superhero interesting without making him all moody with doom and gloom everywhere.

Rowsdower is right, though. I'd leave the excess of destruction to the villains and simply have our heroes respond in kind. Its perfectly alright for WW, Aquaman, and the Flash to have the revels (WW and Aquaman especially, being that they're both warriors), or wisecracks (for the Flash). Leave the doom to the villains - and then go all out with them to drive home the severity of the threat. But let the heroes have their fun.

Rowsdower is right, though. I'd leave the excess of destruction to the villains and simply have our heroes respond in kind. Its perfectly alright for WW, Aquaman, and the Flash to have the revels (WW and Aquaman especially, being that they're both warriors), or wisecracks (for the Flash). Leave the doom to the villains - and then go all out with them to drive home the severity of the threat. But let the heroes have their fun.

Yeah, I honestly don't mind the darker world of DC's films, per se. If done right, that can add more stakes to a story like in Nolan's Bat-films. They just need to work on making sure their heroes are still sources of hope and optimism within those darker worlds because that's our anchor as an audience.

Darker superhero films can still be fun. I find TDK to be more fun than The Avengers. Civil War too, which is darker.

The important thing here and the difference-maker, is how the heroes come across and making sure there's just enough levity in the right moments to keep things balanced.

After reading Superman: American Alien and his previous film experience with Chronicle, Max Landis would be the perfect person to have creatively behind the scenes.

Newsarama 2010:
SUPERMAN & the Secret History of KEVIN FEIGE & GEOFF JOHNS

[Editor's Note: With the reported news that writer-turned-executive Geoff Johns is leading a new DC Films division for Warner Bros, we thought it interesting to take a look back at this somewhat prescient article from 2010 comparing the shared connections between him and Marvel Studios' President Kevin Feige.]

I like Geoff Johns, he's one of the best comic book writers, he has enough experience as a producer, he cares about the characters, he really loves them. Now he has more power, if he wants a Superman movie, he could make it happen. And he has worked with Richard Donner in the past, they could write the next Superman film, I won't be surprised if it happens. And the Flash is his favorite character, he will make sure the movie is good, maybe he will co-write the script too. :word:

ultimofilho3.jpg

After reading Superman: American Alien and his previous film experience with Chronicle, Max Landis would be the perfect person to have creatively behind the scenes.

don-t-put-that-evil-on-me-o.gif

He certainly gets the charcter more than anyone at WB so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"