Best Comic Book Movie of 2013?

Nice reply to my IM3 point :up:

I do take that into account, but fact is less fans will say it didn't happen that way it sucked than they will say it didn't happen that way but I still like it. So no, it doesn't equal out. Most fans want to love the next movie starring their favorite character. Less want to hate the movie. More people will be able to get over their preconceived notions of what they wanted than they are to bash the movie. Unless, it is Green Lantern or FF bad. That is different.

LOL I will talk IM3 with ya when I get back. Going to see Hobbit with my family. Then I will go vote for best hobbit movie in some poll:) Just think about this. If people were voting on what their favorite star wars movie was in the original trilogy. I would assume that empire would probably win among star wars fans. Now that being said a new hope and jedi would get its fair share and probably surpass the total that empire got. But among star wars fans overall empire would still be the best. Even if the other two garnered more votes total. Thats how polls work.

LOL I will talk IM3 with ya when I get back. Going to see Hobbit with my family. Then I will go vote for best hobbit movie in some poll:) Just think about this. If people were voting on what their favorite star wars movie was in the original trilogy. I would assume that empire would probably win among star wars fans. Now that being said a new hope and jedi would get its fair share and probably surpass the total that empire got. But among star wars fans overall empire would still be the best. Even if the other two garnered more votes total. Thats how polls work.

Difference is, Star Wars fans are choosing between Star Wars things. They have the same fan base. Comic book fans are not the same thing. Comic book movie fans have different preferences. You can't use a blank label like Star Wars fans. It'd be more fair to say Sci-Fi fans, which has a variety of styles and subgenres within Science Fiction. So this is not a valid comparison at all that you made. Not all superheroes are the same, or in many cases, even remotely similar! Thor is not similar to Iron Man. Iron Man is not similar to Superman. Superman is not similar to Wolverine. They are all very different characters with different fans and appeal and even story styles. Star Wars is...just....Star Wars.

If you made a poll asking what was better, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, or Raiders of the Lost Ark, the latter would likely win due to the Star Wars fans splitting the vote.

So you are saying DOFP will win and the other guy is saying spidey will win. I will laugh my butt off if cap wins. The whole nature of this poll is comic book fans opinions. The idea that next year there is no DC movie to test your idea is interesting. So all the bias spidey fans will be voting for spidey. All the bias x-men fans will be voting for x-men ect. What you dont take into account is many spidey fans and x-men fans want those movies to be a certain way and if its not they freak and hate the movie. MOS is a perfect example. Of course there are bias superman fans who voted for MOS. But I would argue there are crazy superman fans who didnt vote MOS because of him killing ZOD among other things. They want superman one way and if they dont get it well MOS doesnt get their vote. It all equals out.

We agree on the reasoning. I don't think that the audience for DOFP is as big as Spider-Fan is. X-Men doesn't seem to be the draw it used to be and even on these boards fans seem not to have the interest in the franchise that they did ten years ago. I could easily be wrong, but I think given the box office of the Spider-Man films versus the X-Men films that it will get more support.

This is dependent on both films being of similar quality, like this year's superhero films. If one is great and one is horrible, that changes things.

Last edited:
If you made a poll asking what was better, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, or Raiders of the Lost Ark, the latter would likely win due to the Star Wars fans splitting the vote.

Excellent point, which is why I believe that either you or Spider-fan will be correct in your prediction for next years "poll". When the options by and large come from a similar market, in next yrs CBM case all are a Marvel based product then the winner will almost always be "who has the most overall fans". Spider-man and Xmen both I would argue have substantially more fans than Cap or GotG. That tends to move the scale in ASM2 and DoFP favor because fans of these characters are more willing to accept a movie that would generally be considered just okay and vote for it simply because they get to see their favorite character on screen again. It makes the result of polls more a telling of which character has the most fans than which movie is considered best. I do not think anyone would argue that Superman has far and away waaaaaay more fans than both Thor or IM, taking that in account its not surprising MOS if winning this poll because fans are more likely to simply not vote than to betray their loyalty.

We agree on the reasoning. I don't think that the audience for DOFP is as big as Spider-Fan does. X-Men doesn't seem to be the draw it used to be and even on these boards fans seem not to have the interest in the franchise that they did ten years ago. I could easily be wrong, but I think given the box office of the Spider-Man films versus the X-Men films that it will get more support.

This is dependent on both films being of similar quality, like this year's superhero films. If one is great and one is horrible, that changes things.

I've seen early tracking favoring DoFP in the race, but that easily can change and right now, assuming 2014 is a somewhat flawed science as you pointed out. Like you said, maybe DoFP, TASM2, Cap 2, etc will get rave reviews or poor reviews. That could change the equation as you said. But, fundamentally, you and I are in complete agreement. I will grant you recent BO trends favor TASM2. But, I think FOX is going to do far more marketing for DoFP, and it has a better release date than either FC or Wolverine (which both had to get some fans who became disinterested back).

Difference is, Star Wars fans are choosing between Star Wars things. They have the same fan base. Comic book fans are not the same thing. Comic book movie fans have different preferences. You can't use a blank label like Star Wars fans. It'd be more fair to say Sci-Fi fans, which has a variety of styles and subgenres within Science Fiction. So this is not a valid comparison at all that you made. Not all superheroes are the same, or in many cases, even remotely similar! Thor is not similar to Iron Man. Iron Man is not similar to Superman. Superman is not similar to Wolverine. They are all very different characters with different fans and appeal and even story styles. Star Wars is...just....Star Wars.

I used star wars as an example of how two or more movies can get more votes overall than one. Thats why I used it. If you took a poll asking what was better Empire or Jedi. Empire would win. My point being MOS won this poll. You are projecting comic book fans as being so loyal and bias as to say well I dont care how good MOS is I wont vote for it. There are those that do that. All i am saying is if you put MOS against any of the movies on a singular basis I think MOS has a very good chance of winning against them individually as well. There are wolverine fans who liked MOS better than IM3. There are IM3 fans who probably like MOS better than Thor ect. I dont think all of them have that blind bias that you seem to think. I know I dont.

Fans of Marvel Studios vote in that poll. Look at how many votes IM3 has, yet it won several people's choice awards. What does that say? If MoS was everyone's favorite, why did IM3 win the people's choice award? All polls are popularity contests that honestly are somewhat skewed. I think it is fairly obvious.

Well Iron Man is the most popular superhero of the moment, since it's third in the poll here that would suggest its not a popularity contest.

People's choice would seem to be the popularity contest and this poll more indicative, especially considering MOS is winning here despite the hate it gets. There's also the fact that more people saw IM3 than MOS or the others, so there are people's choice votes from those who may not have even seen the others to really compare.

I take your meaning of the splitting of the vote for Marvel fans vs no splitting for DC fans though

I'm a Marvel guy myself but my second favourite this year was MOS.

Last edited:
You didn't pick a Marvel Studios film? Haha But you seem so positive about them all the time...

Last edited:
Same as Cyclops I sort of disagree with what Spider-Fan is saying as well. I am a much bigger X-Men fan than Superman fan, yet I voted for MOS simply because I thought it was the best CBM this year.

Look how low Batman is on my super heroes list in my sig, yet I would always vote TDK as the best CBM ever (so far) because I think its the best, simple as. I am not the only one on here that thinks like this either.

This is how i rank the ones i've seen:
1. The Wolverine
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. Iron Man 3
4. MOS

I saw the Wolverine unrated edition recently, and will give my current ranking of 2013 CBMs

1. Man of Steel
2. Iron Man 3
3. The Wolverine

I'll watch Thor the Dark World, and ignore the rest

I saw the Wolverine unrated edition recently, and will give my current ranking of 2013 CBMs

1. Man of Steel
2. Iron Man 3
3. The Wolverine

I'll watch Thor the Dark World, and ignore the rest

That's a fair ranking, though I liked the Unrated edition of The Wolverine a whole lot more than the theatrical cut (same with my feelings towards Live Free or Die Hard), the only version worth watching is the Unrated version for sure and I really hope that Fox tries out more Unrated releases because it's much more suspenseful having there be blood and violence included.

This is how i rank the ones i've seen:
1. The Wolverine
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. Iron Man 3
4. MOS

That's my ranking as well. Only fault I had with IM3 was the final battle sequence. Screwed up the rest of the movie IMO

That's a fair ranking, though I liked the Unrated edition of The Wolverine a whole lot more than the theatrical cut (same with my feelings towards Live Free or Die Hard), the only version worth watching is the Unrated version for sure and I really hope that Fox tries out more Unrated releases because it's much more suspenseful having there be blood and violence included.

Agreed, I liked the TC of TW, was my 2nd favourite of the year, but the EE runs MOS very close for my best of the year.

I thought the EE for Wolverine was better, I agree. But, I hated all versions of Live Free or Die Hard. That was just a bad movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"