Best Comic Book Movie of 2013?

how did it not make sense to you. when i think marvel on film i first think of mcu (and I can presume that's the same with most people).

and wolverine isn't allowed to be there. but if he were, then yes, he would become Marvel

Wrong. When people think Marvel they think of Marvel characters. Irrespective of the movie studio.

BTW: The MCU doesn't exist and won't until later this year, right now it's the Avengers Cinematic Universe as they've only made movies about Avenger characters, and Avengers doesn't account for all of Marvel.

Last edited:
Wrong. When people think Marvel they think of Marvel characters. Irrespective of the movie studio.

Particulary one that has only been in business for just five years and only made movies about one set of marvel characters. The MCU doesn't exist and won't until later this year, right now it's the Avengers Cinematic Universe as they've only made movies about Avenger characters and Avengers doesn't account for all of Marvel.

don't think so. whenever the topic of spiderman being brought to the avengers or wolverine the sentence usually either starts with "well disney owns avengers while sony/fox owns the others" or "well marvel owns avengers while sony/fox owns the others" and i've heard this on more than one occasion.

moreover, kevin feige has already been using the term marvel cinematic universe with shh's own interview.

http://www.superherohype.com/featur...ve-marvel-studios-production-head-kevin-feige

Doesn't mean that they think of Spidey and/or X-Men movies as not marvel movies.

Marvel movies refers to movies based on characters from marvel comics.

Marvel studio movies refers to movies made by that studio.

Doesn't mean that they think of Spidey and/or X-Men movies as not marvel movies.

Marvel movies refers to movies based on characters from marvel comics.

Marvel studio movies refers to movies made by that studio.
then they shouldn't be competing. they should be working together.
marvel competes with the likes of x men, spiderman, and dc when really, their only competition should be dc.

Last edited:
^They cant work together though when one company owns the rights the other doesnt. The X-Men and Spiderman are MARVEL characters and always will be, so they are Marvel movies, Fox and Sony were making Marvel movies almost a decade before the MCU came along.

They are still Marvel characters though and always will be. Hence why Marvel still produce X-Men and Spiderman comics like they have done since the 60's.

^They cant work together though when one company owns the rights the other doesnt. The X-Men and Spiderman are MARVEL characters and always will be, so they are Marvel movies, Fox and Sony were making Marvel movies almost a decade before the MCU came along.

They are still Marvel characters though and always will be. Hence why Marvel still produce X-Men and Spiderman comics like they have done since the 60's.

They CAN work together, they just don't want to. film studios have worked together before. they have in the past and they will in the future.

the problem is that they'd rather just compete with each other which is lame

^It would take a lot of money changing hands that just isnt going to happen. And, while I have never been their biggest supporters, why would Fox and Sony give up the rights to characters that make them so much money? Movie making is a business at the end of the day.

^It would take a lot of money changing hands that just isnt going to happen. And, while I have never been their biggest supporters, why would Fox and Sony give up the rights to characters that make them so much money? Movie making is a business at the end of the day.

i'm not saying sony should give up spiderman. it would make at even greater crossover for it to be two different studios and I know they it is not easy but they should at least talk it over...

^I wouldnt get my hopes up as it will likely never happen. If it is, I feel Sony are more likely to talk with Marvel than Fox are.

^I wouldnt get my hopes up as it will likely never happen. If it is, I feel Sony are more likely to talk with Marvel than Fox are.

there were conversations of putting oscorp in avengers and that's a start. there's also that guy in item 47 with a shirt saying empire state university

Cant agree, the comedy undercut any attempts at substance in the movie all the way through, it was the same with TDW and it really annoyed me with these phase 2 movies. The main one in IM3 being Tony making a joke 5 mins after the woman he supposedly cant live without and is the most important thing to him 'dies.' It was the same in TDW when Loki 'dies,' I dont want 20 mins of the characters bawling over them, but show some emotion other than the quick 10 second look on the effected characters' faces. Stuff like this really hurt the phase 2 movies and this is coming from a Marvel fan who doesnt think either movie is bad.

MOS and TW had more substance and emotion out of all the CBM's this year for me.

I don't think Man of Steel offered much in regards to substance, to be honest. It was the same 'With Great Power' type speeches we have heard in every superhero movie. I've personal outgrown that and it bores me. As an adult, I find the Iron Man movies to offer much more than the likes of Superman, Thor, and Captain America.

I don't think the comedy hurt Iron Man 3 at all. I appreciate a movie that doesn't insult my intelligence by teasing the death of a character we all know wasn't going to die. Of a character that most people seeing the movie didn't truly care about. I think the entire Pepper arc in that movie was stupid though and was the lone major criticism. Other than that, the movie offered a perfect blend of comedy and drama/tension.

Regarding substance, Iron Man 3 took the cake this year. It was just done in such a unique way for a superhero blockbuster. The Iron Man movies have always been more along the lines of Dr. Strangelove than The Dark Knight or Spider Man 2. The handling of international terror in the plot of IM3 was similar to the handling of nuclear war in Strangelove. A satire aimed at the summer blockbuster crowd. Iron Man 2 was the same thing with slimy industrialists, Steve Jobs esque egomania, obnoxious government figures, and sexual harassment in the workplace jokes. To me, that's much more substance than an old lady telling her son to be a 'good guy' by punching the angry goateed man-alien in the face.

I don't think Man of Steel offered much in regards to substance, to be honest. It was the same 'With Great Power' type speeches we have heard in every superhero movie. I've personal outgrown that and it bores me. As an adult, I find the Iron Man movies to offer much more than the likes of Superman, Thor, and Captain America.

I don't think the comedy hurt Iron Man 3 at all. I appreciate a movie that doesn't insult my intelligence by teasing the death of a character we all know wasn't going to die. Of a character that most people seeing the movie didn't truly care about. I think the entire Pepper arc in that movie was stupid though and was the lone major criticism. Other than that, the movie offered a perfect blend of comedy and drama/tension.

Regarding substance, Iron Man 3 took the cake this year. It was just done in such a unique way for a superhero blockbuster. The Iron Man movies have always been more along the lines of Dr. Strangelove than The Dark Knight or Spider Man 2. The handling of international terror in the plot of IM3 was similar to the handling of nuclear war in Strangelove. A satire aimed at the summer blockbuster crowd. Iron Man 2 was the same thing with slimy industrialists, Steve Jobs esque egomania, obnoxious government figures, and sexual harassment in the workplace jokes. To me, that's much more substance than an old lady telling her son to be a 'good guy' by punching the angry goateed man-alien in the face.

Really dont get that comment.

As for the rest, I cant agree, the comedy really hurt Iron Man 3 at essential times, like then Tony makes a joke 3 mins after Pepper supposedly dies, the woman who apparently is the most important thing in the world according to him. There were other moments as well and moments that should have been given more importance, like the arc reactor removal and Rhodey's role was one big joke.

MOS had Superman having to accept mankind and earth as his home and his people ahead of the race that gave birth to him. A few times he has to choose between remnants of his home world and his adopted one and he has to think about it every time. He earns the trust and faith of a whole planet by fighting for it with all his might.

Then there is the question as a child as to his nature and who he will grow up to be and how the Kents try and steer that in the right direction and then also finding out his parentage and choosing to stand proud in front of the human race despite their initial fear of them.

Making the choice of destroying any chance of Krypton being re-born to save humanity at the is the culmination of all this. MOS has a lot more substance than people give it credit for. It knew the importance of its emotional scenes as well by not throwing in a joke 3 mins after them.

better than wolverine?

536.gif

All these movies were mediocre upon initial viewing

but now that I've seen them all multiple times, IMO:
2nd-viewing-IM3 and Extended-cut-Wolverine have a lot of good that outweighs the bad
MoS and T:TDW however, remain boring, by-the-numbers affairs

I'll give Thor one more chance on blu-ray, but just because I love the character so

Last edited:
^I feared that may happen with Thor 2. For me its happened with IM3 in that each time I watch it it gets worse as a movie.

MOS and The Wolverine, especially the EE just keep getting better each time I watch them though. Kick-Ass 2 just seems to remain the same.

that hurts my brain...lol... its so weird that MoS gets more and more boring to me, while it improves to you, and vice versa on IM3, I understand different tastes, but it still gives me a bit of a headache... "to each their own" I suppose is all that can be said

^Yep, I just find MOS to be a superb Superman movie, and there are so many moments I love that easily outweigh the bad stuff in MOS.

With IM3, too many good moments are immediatly followed by bad/stupid ones for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"