• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Best Comic Run Ever Nominations

CConn

Fountainhead of culture.
Reaction score
Please list you're top 5 comic runs, then, after a while, I'll pick out the most mentioned and create a poll. The only real guideline is the run has to be over 10 issues with a single writer/artist, and can't be a limited series.

Oh, and this definitely isn't limited solely to Marvel. List any run from any publisher.

Kurt Busiek & Perez/Avengers
James Robinson & Tony Harris/Starman
Brian Michael Bendis & Maleev/Daredevil
Ed Brubaker/Captain America
Grant Morrison/Animal Man

Kurt Busiek & Perez/Avengers
James Robinson & Tony Harris/Starman
Brian Michael Bendis & Maleev/Daredevil
Ed Brubaker/Captain America
Grant Morrison/Animal Man

Very nice. :up:

Although, I'd add:
Robert Kirkman/Ryan Ottley - Invincible
Chris Claremont/John Byrne - Uncanny X-Men
Erik Larsen - Savage Dragon
Roger Stern/John Buscema - Avengers
Stan Lee/John Romita - Amazing Spider-Man

and of course, Stan Lee/Jack Kirby - Fantastic Four ;)

Well, here's my five:

1. Kirkman's Invincible
2. Claremont's Uncanny X-Men
3. Stan Lee's Amazing Spider-Man
4. Waid's Fantastic Four
5. BKV's Runaways

A very honorable mention to Brubaker's Daredevil and Kirkman's Walking Dead. It was near painful not listing them. :o

I forgot all about Invincible. I'm replacing Bru's Cap. (It's still awesome, but I can't help but feel the best of it has yet to come.)

Lee & Kirby: Fantastic Four
Lee & Ditko: Amazing Spider-Man
Lee & Kirby: The Mighty Thor
Claremont & Byrne: Uncanny X-Men
Miller & Jansen: Daredevil

can't hold it to 5

Claremont/Byrne - Uncanny X-Men

Lee/Romita - Amazing Spider Man

Walter Simonson - The Mighty Thor

Lee/Kirby - FF

Wolfman/Perez - The New Teen Titans

Grant Morrison - Animal Man

Gaiman - Sandman

Alan Moore - Swamp Thing

Alan Moore/Alan Davis - Miracleman

honorable mention - Giffen/Dematteis and Kevin Maguire - Justice League International

In order of bestest to fifth bestest.

Thor: Lord of Asgard -- Dan Jurgens

Supergirl -- Peter David

New X-Men -- Grant Morrison

Wonder Woman -- Greg Rucka

Teen Titans -- Geoff Johns PRE-OYL

Honorary mention: Sandman by Neil Gaiman, not officially listed since I haven't actually read the whole thing yet.

In order of bestest to fifth bestest.

Thor: Lord of Asgard -- Dan Jurgens

Supergirl -- Peter David

New X-Men -- Grant Morrison

Wonder Woman -- Greg Rucka

Teen Titans -- Geoff Johns PRE-OYL

Honorary mention: Sandman by Neil Gaiman, not officially listed since I haven't actually read the whole thing yet.

These you seriously consider to the best runs ever in comics?

That I've read and are actually substantial runs? Yes. I've read better comics, but not better runs.

Yes I realize I'm so freaking awesome that everyone must automatically think I've read every single comic run evar, but my actual history of buying western comics goes back less than five years.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Dave Sim on Cerebus. It's certainly the most impressive comic run of all time. 30 years straight on a serialized, monthly comic book.

Jeff Smith - Bone

admittedly i've only read a few issues of this one, but it's pretty legendary (very original also)

Ennis/Dillon - Preacher

Grant Morrison/Richard Case-Doom Patrol
James Robinson/Tony Harris-Starman
Ed Brubaker/Steve Epting/Mike Perkins-Captain America
Warren Ellis/Darrick Robertson-Transmetropolitan
Stan Lee/Steve Ditko-Amazing Spider-Man

Yes I realize I'm so freaking awesome that everyone must automatically think I've read every single comic run evar, but my actual history of buying western comics goes back less than five years.
Mine only goes back 3 years, and I've still read things better than Johns' TT or even Rucka's WW. :o

From what I've read, David's Supergirl was pretty sweet, though. :up:

The first 20 or so issues of Nightwing were ace.

Nightwing was pretty good until Dixon left.

Not the best ever, of course, but pretty good.

In other news, I can't believe I forgot to list - and no one else has listed - Eisner's Spirit. I mean, seriously, those are some of the absolute best comics ever.

Mine only goes back 3 years, and I've still read things better than Johns' TT or even Rucka's WW. :o
So have I, but I'm not going to list runs that I haven't read completely. You'll note that I didn't list Sandman in the five because I haven't finished yet. Those damned lesbians. I cannot read through their damned exposition to save my own life.

Since when did this become an elitist pissing contest anyway? "ZOMG YOU DIDN'T READ REAL RUNS FROM REAL WRITERS??????"

i considered listing a top 5 for golden age, silver age, bronze age, and modern

golden age would absolutely include Eisner's Spirit - maybe all-time as well. obviously siegel/schuster's Superman and Kane/Finger's Batman are included also.

Gardner Fox on Justice League would be in silver age. as would Lee/Kirby FF, Lee/Ditko Spidey, Lee/Romita Spidey

Joe Casey - Uncanny X-men
Judd Winnick - Exiles
Judd Winnick - Green Arrow
Robert Kirkman - Invincible
Frank Tieri - Weapon X

Actually, based on what I know that you do read, I assumed that you had poor taste. Based on what your favorites are, I now know that it's not necessarily poor taste, but more of a love for mediocrity. Which is fine.

Yeah maybe that's why your mom and I get along so well LAOLOLOLOLAOL AGHKFGHGIJf dsfzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Grant Morrison - JLA

Joe Kelly - JLA

Alan Moore - League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Does this count as a limited series?)

Mike Carey - Hellblazer

Mark Waid - The Flash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"