Best Decade For Cinema

I'd say the 1930s. Heck, just look at '39, considered by most film historians as the single greatest year in cinema history:
1)GWTW
2)Wizard Of Oz
3)Grapes Of Wrath
4)Gunga Din
here's a partial list for this decade--
King Kong, Adventures Of Robin Hood, Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy. Lost Horizon, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, Brining up Baby, Marx Bros. movies, Laurel and Hardy movies, W.C. Fields, Chaplin's City Lights, Tarzan and His Mate, Tale Of Two Cities. The list goes on and on...

1939 is in a class by itself,that's why I voted for the 40's.

There's no such thing as the best decade for cinema. Every decade has its share of gems and trend-setters.

hitmanyr2k said:
There's no such thing as the best decade for cinema. Every decade has its share of gems and trend-setters.

and it's share of remakes and rehashes cough *2000+* cough

I'm not sure. It seems people here vote only for american movies, though. ;)

I'll say the 80's, but I am highly influenced by a nostalgic feeling, even if most of those movies I hadn't seen back then.

Ghibli was formed. It was the beginning of Miyazaki's career as a movie director (he had previously directed tv series, and the legendary Castle of cagliostro, but his full artistic power came primaly with Nausicaa). We got Nausicaa, Castle in the sky and the wonderful Totoro. With Takahata we got the musical Goshu the cellist and his masterpiece Grave of the fireflies.

Mamoru Oshii (ghost in the shell) really discovered himself in the 80's. With Beautiful dreamer he got to show the world what he could do. Angel's egg is still the greatest adaptation of Amano's artworks. And Oshii's most crazy movie. Patlabor (89) got released, and was (and still is) a masterpiece. The first movie by Oshii stand alongside his two ghost in the shells and Angel's egg.

AKIRA was release. I won't sat anything else about that, the word itself speaks volume enough.

Jim Henson got to his peak with his two masterpieces: The dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Two of the greatest fantasy movies ever put on films. Henson and Oz were gods.

(and two other muppet movies were released by Henson also in the 80's.)

While I consider the 70's to be Spielberg's most important decade, his last two indiana jones movies, his E.T., and his Empire of the sun were all spectacular movies. E.T. is one of the only live action children movie to ever having been able to compete with Jim Henson's movies (of course, Miyazaki's Totoro is still miles ahead of all of those, though).

While Jackie Chan was discovered in the 70's, (and so were Samo Hung and Yuen Biao) it was in the 80's their carreer exploded (and the quality also). Jackie Chan released his phenomenal Police Story trilogy (though I think the third one was release in the early 90's) and truly changed the face of police action movies in the world. And even better, the three brothers (Chan, Hung and Biao) began making movies together. Project A, Wheals on meals and Dragon forever are still 3 of the greatest and most fun kung fu movies ever put to film. Seeing these three incredible actors and martial art fighters together on the screen is joy from beginning to the end.

John Woo was discovered. We would never had the matrix and all of these heavily action oriented gun movies if it wasn't for the release of the first A better tomorrow (followed by both the second A better tomorrow and The killer, all monumental movies in their own field). Woo is a legend, and these are the movies why.

The thing and Shining were release. What I consider the two best horror movies out there, so for me of course this is pretty important.

There are many other factors, of course, but these are my most important right now this morning (the coming of tim burton with his beetlejuice, batman and Edward is probably a factor many would name, for exemple).

But yeah, the 80's rocked!

There must be some confusion about what came out in the 70s b/c the majority of that decade sucked @$$. I voted 1990s b/c you can find rich diversity in every genre.

Prognosticator said:
There must be some confusion about what came out in the 70s b/c the majority of that decade sucked @$$. I voted 1990s b/c you can find rich diversity in every genre.

You just need to know more about cinema then. Millions of movies came out all around the world in the 70's.

Btw, the majority of every decade suck ass. The majority of movies suck ass. That's pretty much a given you should know.

Spielberg's career got launch in the 70's (jaws, close encounter, duel, Lost ark) for godsake. If you forget the rest of the world, Hollywood alone was on his peak back then. Kubrick's Clockwork orange is a prime exemple of the censors being so low they could do nearly anything they wanted back then. Of course, Jaws came to be, and with it came back the blockbusters and everything changed again. But before that Hollywood had at least 5 years of galore.

We also got the beginning of John Carpenter with his first halloween and his the fog and especially his Escape from new york. The dirty harry were exploding on the big screen. Romero's second opus Dawn of the dead came out. Horror was good back then with that, and the first Texas chainsaw massacre, the exorcist, the omen and the first Alien (not forgetting jaws, of course).

And that's only from the top of my head in Hollywood. In Hong Kong, the shaw brothers were big. Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao were beginning to make names for themself. Bruce Lee was at the peak of his career (and then of course died, sniff). The Hui brothers were at their best. Golden harvest was gold.

In Japan, Hayao Miyazaki released his Castle of cagliastro, and influenced the world of anime forever.

And so many frikkin more.

The 70's sure didn't suck ass. No decade ever did, actually.

It is nice to see that the posters on this board have grown since the last time we had this poll. It is easily the 70s and I am glad to see that peope are finally recognizing.

I whent with the 90's because you got...

Braveheart
Forrest Gump

Etc...

TheSaintofKillers said:
You just need to know more about cinema then. Millions of movies came out all around the world in the 70's.

Btw, the majority of every decade suck ass. The majority of movies suck ass. That's pretty much a given you should know.

Spielberg's career got launch in the 70's (jaws, close encounter, duel, Lost ark) for godsake. If you forget the rest of the world, Hollywood alone was on his peak back then. Kubrick's Clockwork orange is a prime exemple of the censors being so low they could do nearly anything they wanted back then. Of course, Jaws came to be, and with it came back the blockbusters and everything changed again. But before that Hollywood had at least 5 years of galore.

We also got the beginning of John Carpenter with his first halloween and his the fog and especially his Escape from new york. The dirty harry were exploding on the big screen. Romero's second opus Dawn of the dead came out. Horror was good back then with that, and the first Texas chainsaw massacre, the exorcist, the omen and the first Alien (not forgetting jaws, of course).

The 70's sure didn't suck ass. No decade ever did, actually.

Lost Arc came out in 80', and if we want to be technical Spielberg was probably at his best in the 80s (Indy Jones movies) or 90s (JP, SL, SPR)

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the 1970s are doing in this poll (which was my vote as well). The 70s was awesome; you could break so many taboos back then, we will never see the likes of such movies again in history. Besides the Godfather, etc. my favorites were also The Devils, Deliverance, The Exorcist ...

Any answer other than "The 70's" is simply incorrect.
It's actually not a matter of opinion. It's a cosmic truth.

I'm stuck between the 70's and 80's here. :(

If this was titled "biggest milestone decade for movies" I would have voted 70s but it doesn't say that, and what it does say doesn't line up with how i see cinema in the 70s. I'm gonna have to stick w/the 90s, and i'll give 5 reasons

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Braveheart
3. Heat
4. T2
5. Schindler's List/Saving Private Ryan

Prognosticator said:
If this was titled "biggest milestone decade for movies" I would have voted 70s but it doesn't say that, and what it does say doesn't line up with how i see cinema in the 70s. I'm gonna have to stick w/the 90s, and i'll give 5 reasons

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Braveheart
3. Heat
4. T2

Agreed. Plus there were also Goodfellas, American Beauty, Fight Club, Magnolia and many others.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Dudes, Smokey and the BANDIT!

Burt Reynolds got the Oscar nod for Boogie Nights, not Smokey

(but i'm in no way denying Smokey's iconic hickability and cultural mainstay)

Pink Ranger said:
I'm pleasantly surprised at how well the 1970s are doing in this poll (which was my vote as well). The 70s was awesome; you could break so many taboos back then, we will never see the likes of such movies again in history. Besides the Godfather, etc. my favorites were also The Devils, Deliverance, The Exorcist ...
You should check out the documentary done by the late Ted Demme and Richard LaGravenese titled "A Decade Under the Influence" that gives a great overview on why movies in the 70s were the best ever and will nver be repeated again. Certainly worth a look for any film fan wanting to understand the difference between the 70s and every ohter decade in American cinema.

Carmine Falcone said:
Great movies :eek: And I LOVE the 70's feeling like in One Flew and Dog Day.

Interesting you should say that because I believe One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest took place in 1963.

For every "Exorcist" milestone in the 70s, there's a "Silence of the Lambs" for the 90s... Clint Eastwood's journey into directing, 70s - Clint Eastwood's masterstroke "Unforgiven", 90s...

Prognosticator said:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Braveheart
3. Heat
4. T2

Pretty funny that your number one choice, Pulp Fiction, borrows so much from so many movies from other decades, especially the 70s.

BTW, those five films above are good, but they can't come close to the great films of the 70s. You really need to check out all the movies made in the 70s again (Godfather 1 & 2, The French Connection, Chinatown, Apocolypse Now, Clockwork Orange, The Deer Hunter, Close Encounters, The Exorcist, Halloween, Annie Hall, Jaws, M*A*S*H, Network, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky, Star Wars, Taxi Driver, Days of Heaven, Last Tango in Paris, Nashville, Alien - to name a few).

As many of us have said, there is only one correct answer to this question - the 70s - period.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
Interesting you should say that because I believe One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest took place in 1963.

It came out in 1975. It is a 70s movie.

Prognosticator said:
For every "Exorcist" milestone in the 70s, there's a "Silence of the Lambs" for the 90s... Clint Eastwood's journey into directing, 70s - Clint Eastwood's masterstroke "Unforgiven", 90s...

You couldn't be more wrong.

reggiebar said:
Pretty funny that your number one choice, Pulp Fiction, borrows so much from so many movies from other decades, especially the 70s.

BTW, those five films above are good, but they can't come close to the great films of the 70s. You really need to check out all the movies made in the 70s again (Godfather 1 & 2, The French Connection, Chinatown, Apocolypse Now, Clockwork Orange, The Deer Hunter, Close Encounters, The Exorcist, Halloween, Annie Hall, Jaws, M*A*S*H, Network, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rocky, Star Wars, Taxi Driver, Days of Heaven, Last Tango in Paris, Nashville, Alien - to name a few).

As many of us have said, there is only one correct answer to this question - the 70s - period.

But the 90s also had Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, Pulp Fiction, Usual Suspects, Silence of the Lambs, Fight Club, American Beauty, the Matrix, Seven, the Professional, American History X, LA Confidential, Reservoir Dogs, Fargo, Saving Private Ryan, Sling Blade, Life is Beautiful, Forrest Gump, the Lion King, Braveheart, T2, the Sixth Sense, Unforgiven, the Green Mile, Toy Story 1/2, Magnolia, Heat, Goodfellas and Boogie Nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"