• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Best space movies - is '2001' the best or not? Discuss!

I think its kinda unfair to compare 2001 and Star Wars. They're both interstellar but they are essentially different subgenres. It be like comparing Taxi Driver to Die Hard. One is much more existential and the other is much more action/character based.

Taxi Driver vs Die Hard might not be the best analogy but i think it gets my point across nonetheless

In no particular order

Apollo 13
Alien
Close Encounters

I love Star Wars and Star Trek, but they both are more fantasy related movies than the ones on my list, despite the inclusion of alien races and whatnot...agreed?

'Serenity'
'Wrath Of Khan'
'Star Wars IV: A New Hope'
'Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back'
'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'

I didn't really like 2001, I though most of show stuff was pointless and unnecessary. It was just a work based on imagination and technical aspects, not on a story itself.

In no particular order

Apollo 13
Alien
Close Encounters

I love Star Wars and Star Trek, but they both are more fantasy related movies than the ones on my list, despite the inclusion of alien races and whatnot...agreed?
I agree on Star Wars, but not Trek... I would put Star Trek (overall) over Apollo 13 and Alien in the Sci Fi/space-thing ladder...

I've got a great space film for you... are you ready?...

'Plan 9 From Out Space'!!! - The Best Film Ever Made... Period:up:

Apollo 13 is the best movie about traveling into space.

Star Wars is the best space adventure.

Serenity will always be the closest to my heart & my most favourite sci-fi movie ever made.

Serenity will always be the closest to my heart & my most favourite sci-fi movie ever made.

Interesting. Serenity never enthralled me at all, I bought it cheaply on DVD, watched it once and then resold it in disappointment.

I had never seen Firefly and I think that could be part of it. The movie seemed like a part of something I knew nothing about. The characters seemed one-dimensional and we never saw any scene involving the psychic powers which River Tam was held in captivity for. There were only about two action sequences, during which River let loose with battle skills (not psychic powers), which to me didn't make sense. The film had neither art nor excitement in my view. And it relied too heavily on prior awareness of the TV series.

I think the movie's poor box office performance reflects that Serenity was very much a cult film aimed more at Firefly fans than a general audience.

I didn't really like 2001, I though most of show stuff was pointless and unnecessary. It was just a work based on imagination and technical aspects, not on a story itself.

Thats the way the cookie crumbles with 2001,..There is a story there it just insnt explained,in the end there are no answers only more questions.

Im surprised no one mentioned Red Planet,I like that one.It starts off iffy with the narration but once you get past that its a good space movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"