Beta Ray Bill in CW

Oath

Civilian
Reaction score
I posted this in another comic forum but wanted to get some feedback from the hype as well.

May have spoilers form Stormbreaker the recent Beta Ray Bill Mini

For civil war does anyone see Beta Ray Bill coming to Caps aide once he see's Thor is on the Pro-Reg side? Seeing Beta Ray is now in NY and in Human form at the end of Storbreaker: The Saga of Beta Ray Bill and is the one person who can counter Thor move for move and if this "Thor" is really just a mortal who has somehow usurped the power of Thor and is using it for SHIELDS advantage I could see Bill taking the abuse of his dead brother and benefactor powers rather poorly and would give Caps side some much needed muscle. Just an idea I have had this feeling that Stormbreaker may have been a lead up to bigger things they way they just dropped him him off at the end of the series in NY with a Donald Blake look-alike character cane and all who seemed to be friends with the person whos body bill took over when he died. The series left open so many questions like who was Bills benefactor and did this entity do the same for Thor upon his death? Anyone else have any speculation about this? Thanks

It'd be nice if Bill showed up in any capacity, but I don't think Millar will use him. I think it's actually a miracle--and probably a story point forced on him by the powers that be--that Thor himself is appearing in Civil War. Millar has zero interest in the mythological heroes of Marvel.

I thought it was Millar that was originally proposing a resurrection of Thor?

Neil Gaiman and JMS came pitched the idea, but since neither had the time, Millar was going to be the one writing it.

Millar was apparently offered Thor initially, but he had no interest in the character. After Gaiman and JMS came up with the now-infamous "Iowa kids" idea, Millar became interested and signed on as writer, but later dropped it because he was too busy with other stuff. So, really, Millar has zero interest in Thor and a lot of interest in what basically amounts to a Thor-in-name-only situation.

I really didn't mind the "Iowa kids" thing. Mainly because we have no idea exactly where they would have gone with it. It could have been that human beings simply gained the powers of Asgardians, it could have been that they shared their bodies with them, or it could have been something much more complex all together.

It seemed like they were saying the kids would gain the powers of the Asgardians. A kid with the power of Thor is not Thor, and I'm a fan of Thor the character, not just his powers.

They may have been going the Donald Blake route with the kids though, just that they wouldn't know what was happening to them right away. Think of original 20 issues of Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider meets Donald Blake Thor.

TheCorpulent1 said:
It seemed like they were saying the kids would gain the powers of the Asgardians. A kid with the power of Thor is not Thor, and I'm a fan of Thor the character, not just his powers.

True. But still, we never saw the end result.

The Joker said:
They may have been going the Donald Blake route with the kids though, just that they wouldn't know what was happening to them right away. Think of original 20 issues of Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider meets Donald Blake Thor.

Exactly. It could have ended up being that the kids were the gods and the gods were the kid, just through some freaky reincarantion/soul fusion thing that's hard to explain.

Either way, kids = angst, and I've found I have less and less tolerance for angsty, *****y little brats in comics. Even Runaways gets on my nerves occasionally, and that's actually decent angst.
The Joker said:
Thor's Don Blake persona originally had control over both bodies in the original comics, too. I wasn't around for those, though.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Either way, kids = angst, and I've found I have less and less tolerance for angsty, *****y little brats in comics. Even Runaways gets on my nerves occasionally, and that's actually decent angst.

Kids doesn't always = angst. It can and often does, but some writers forgoe that because it is quite cliche.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Thor's Don Blake persona originally had control over both bodies in the original comics, too. I wasn't around for those, though.

But Donald Blale was simply Thor with no memories of being Thor. He thought he was just some guy with powers until Odin told him that he was in fact the Thor of mythology.

Yeah, which is why I mentioned it. There's a precedent for Thor not really being himself. I still wouldn't want to read it now, though. I have trouble getting through the early stories where Thor still thinks and acts like a human with powers, even.
The Question said:
Kids doesn't always = angst. It can and often does, but some writers forgoe that because it is quite cliche.
Yeah, because Millar's totally made a name for himself avoiding clichés. ;)

TheCorpulent1 said:
Yeah, which is why I mentioned it. There's a precedent for Thor not really being himself. I still wouldn't want to read it now, though. I have trouble getting through the early stories where Thor still thinks and acts like a human with powers, even.

True. Just saying, since we don't know exactly what would have gone down, we can't say how good or bad it would have been.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Yeah, because Millar's totally made a name for himself avoiding clichés. ;)

Touche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"