Birds of Prey 2010 comeback!

Drz

Real Hero
Reaction score
bop_01cover600cmyk-7-sm.jpg

You’ve read about BRIGHTEST DAY and the titles that will be waving the banner starting in April, like THE FLASH, TITANS, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA and the just announced GENERATION LOST. But that’s not all.
Starting this Spring, writer Gail Simone and artist Ed Benes will reunite to launch a new BIRDS OF PREY series. As many of you can recall, Benes first made a splash in the DCU when he paired with Simone on the original series. And guess what? He’s gotten better. Check out the artwork above if you’ve got even half a doubt.
But Alex, what’s this new incarnation have in store for fans, you ask? We can’t tell you, but maybe Simone will. Here’s a snippet from her first interview about the gig:
“I am really excited and I missed those characters terribly. I miss almost every book I’ve ever written, but the Birds have a special place in my heart and brain.”
For more from Gail, head over to AOL’s COMICS ALLIANCE blog for a full interview on the new series.

I just heard! I'm so excited! I loved Simone's Birds of Prey, and this title was one of the few places Ed Benes' cheesecake art seemed appropriate.

Man, it's gonna be nice having a well-written version of Black Canary again.

is that stephanie i see flying in the shadows? hope so!

also...my local comicshop owner told me that bab's was gonna be leading a team of all the girls who had ever been batgirl... can't wait for that!

HUZZAH!! :D

All they have to do now is lobotomize Didio, make Dick Grayson Nightwing again, off that *****-stain Damien and all will be gravy.

So... anyone want to talk about who the hidden characters might be? In the interview, Simone says:

"I have loved these two characters for ages and this is my chance to finally write them how I have always wanted to see them."

So it looks like these are characters she hasn't written extensively about before. So that eliminates characters Simone herself created, such as Savant, Creote, or Misfit (thank god). Part of me wants them to be Bat-Steph and Red Robin, but I have my doubts.

Could that be Batwoman flying? Though she's not exactly been around for ages.

One of em is definitely a dude it looks like though.

Well it might be Batgirl with a new ponytail. Oracle has been training her. The big guy is too big/wide to be Red Robin... Part of me wishes it's Knight and Square. :p

The way the cape/wings are, definitely makes think Batwoman though. The shape of the ''guy" makes me think of Darkseid, but that's never going to happen no matter how hilarious it would be.

Barbra: Wow...we just need one more member.
Canary: Why don't we call?
Huntress: Nah, she's too *****y.
Barbra: We'll get the guy that killed Bruce!
Canary: Wow, that's bold! Risky! I like that.
Huntress: I'm not one hundred percent on this girls!
Canary: What's the worst that could happen!?

2 pages later...Darkseid kills em all. :D

Nice! This was always a good read.

Maybe the big guy is Bane [/idle speculation]

are we sure its a guy? maybe its big-barda...if it is a guy, then who knows. maybe hush...i will be pissed if Cassie is not involved in this somehow.

Big Barda has a very distinct headdress, so I doubt it's her.

The shape of the head makes me think of someone with a helmet or a cowl/hood. Or maybe they're bald. I really have no clue who that is.

The main speculation is that its Hawk and Dove; the flying figure, at least, definitely has Dove's outline.

Are Hawk & Dove and male/female team again? I thought they were two women now (though their bird-themed names would make sense on this team).

At present, still female/female. So the identity of the possible Hawk is still up in the air; could be somebody else. The other one definitely looks like Dove, though.

I'm surprised at all of the people I see around the net (not here [yet], but elsewhere) who object to Ed Benes handling the art on this title. He drew pretty much all of Gail Simone's previous run. Besides, this is a cheesecake artist on an all-girl (or mostly girl) comic; it's not like he's being asked to draw JLA again.

If I buy this, and thats a pretty strong IF it's so i can find all the flaws and reignite the fire i started with Simone a few years ago. But i doubt it. :p

If it has cassandra cain i'll buy it for sure though.

Besides, this is a cheesecake artist on an all-girl (or mostly girl) comic; it's not like he's being asked to draw JLA again.
Uh, exactly. Much of the people who really want a Birds of Prey comic (particularly women and gay readers, who are a very big part of Simone's online fandom) don't want a cheesecake artist on it.

Point taken. I just don't see the big deal, since this was the same artist Simone used throughout her previous run. Though ideally, I'd like to see Cliff Chiang on art duty. I dig his retro style, loved his issues of Green Arrow/Black Canary, and you just don't see him anymore.

Ed Benes was a long time artist on the series before and I always thought he was pretty respectful most of the time. I hope this series gets back on track and hits the ground running. History has shown that these things usually lose the magic they once had.

That could be Hawk and Dove. Hawk just died in Blackest Night, so maybe Dove gets a new Hawk and it's a male.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"