• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Bought/Thought 8/8

Marcdachamp

Sidekick
Reaction score
Man, am I the only one that starts these?

New Avengers- PICK OF THE WEEK! This book is just awesome! As soon as I heard Yu was on New Avengers, I was pumped to see him do a great action issue. The action's just getting started, but what a start! Things are really turning up and I'm very glad to see that. Great level of intensity, and I'm just loving it. 9/10

X-Factor- Every issue, PAD makes my jaw drop. Good lord, I can't wait for the next issue. I just really hope things aren't as bleak as that last page made them look. :wow: 9/10

Daredevil- CALLED IT! Great issue, though, with another big twist at the end. 9/10

New Avengers: Illuminati- Really nice story with some fantastic character moments. I really liked seeing how these characters experiences have made them the men they are. Reed and Tony really have some of the best moments these characters have had in years. 9/10

New Avengers/Transformers- Goofy? Oh yes. Fun? Totally. The cover sports easily one of the worst Wolverine images I have ever seen, though. 8/10

Punisher War Journal- Not a very surprising end, but I can tell that Fraction is setting up a very big conflict in the coming months, and that has me really interested. 8/10

Spider-Girl- A very "90's" ending, huh? This is probably the best art I've seen out of Frenz since the relaunch, though. I really liked how May handled her brother being thrown out the window, too. 7/10

X-Factor- Every issue, PAD makes my jaw drop. Good lord, I can't wait for the next issue. I just really hope things aren't as bleak as that last page made them look. :wow: 9/10

A lot of people might be cheering that panel... unless they like X-Factor.

Nova #5

Yay! Nova's not dead! :woot:

Wait. Uh-oh. He's been Phalanx-ed. :wow:

As it stands right now, Nova is my favorite of the Annihilation tie-ins. Star Lord might very well wrest that honor away but that'll have to wait until later this month.

The new Kree Nova is engaging enough to support the title while Nova goes all evil for the next few issues. She's pretty much your typical tough gal type but she's executed well enough that it doesn't come off abrasive or as if Marvel's shoving her down our throats.

The cliffhanger at the end is cool, not as completely shocking as last issues but still cool nonetheless. Ko-Rel's definitely going to have a problem on her hands, I don't see any way she's going to be able to stand up to Nova.

5/5

Incredible Hulk #109

The Hulk's descent continues this issue. For much of the issue he actually comes off as a hero despite everything that's happened. We find out he was indeed showing some form of restraint when he last attacked Herc and co. so I'll concede that to Corp since we argued over that in the past.

In any case, Cho comes off a bit more likable this issue. He's grated me for the last few issues of Hulk but not so much here. Maybe its he finally gets his priorities somewhat in check and helps out people other than himself and the Hulk.

The end I hope is putting things into perspective for some people. The Hulk is not the hero here. So far, I think its pretty obvious that the Illuminati as a group did not decide to blow the Hulk's shuttle up, at worst one of them did it alone. Many of us, myself included, have our doubts that it was one of them at all.

In any case we see the Hulk is all too willing to imprison the heroes he has defeated, most of which had nothing to do with his exile, and is preparing to force them to fight in his games.

5/5

Black Adam #1

I really enjoyed this issue. I know its not really necessary, and maybe the end has already been previewed by Countdown if you will but I still enjoyed the first issue. I like the Black Adam character and I think he got a raw deal in 52 (I mean so far as his family getting killed), in a lot of ways he and the Hulk are becoming very much alike. They're angry, they want to lash out at the world, and God help anyone who gets in their way. Obviously, Black Adam is more villainous than the Hulk has been, but still I think the parallel is there.

Is Isis really back? I have my doubts. I've been hooked and look forward to next issue.

5/5

In NYC, the "dog days" of summer are definately here, with over 90 degree heat and humidity mixing with the smog and pollution. This was a bigger week than the last, and probably not as good, but nothing too outrageous.

As always, full spoilers. These intro's sometimes get lazier when I am not feeling inspired, BTW.

Dread's BOUGHT/THOUGHT for 8/8/07:

DYNAMO 5 #6:
I actually forgot this book was coming out this week so it was a pleasant surprise. It's not my favorite ongoing superhero title (INVINCIBLE has that distinction), but it definately is in my Top 5 (especially with YOUNG AVENGERS being gone for over a year and RUNAWAYS not being what it used to be). This has been delivering solid superhero action with a neat twist on the usual team formula and every month it has usually delivered, despite being somewhat expensive for the average fan; $3.50 for 20 pages of story (the first issue had 26, so one could call it "oversized") might be reasonable to me, but others may not think it is so. The trade for the first 7 issues will be coming out during the Fall/Winter and it'll be $9.99, which is an absolute STEAL and anyone who has been waiting on this should definately grab it. While the subplots for this series are coming to a head as we move along, this is the 2nd part of the presumably 3-part "Chrysalis Affair" plot, the first multi-part story of the franchise. Maddie has fallen for a fake of her husband, Capt. Dynamo, and wounds up in the lair of her husband's enemy-turned-lover, the armored Chrysalis, as well as with her daughter, who has ALL of Dynamo's powers instead of just one like the Dynamo 5 kids. The rest of the team are arrested by the FLAG agents, except Slingshot, who meets up with Augie as the cover suggests, but is she led into a trap by him? Also, Faerber resolves the ending of issue #2 by showing exactly what Maddie did with that "reptile serum" and why; let's say it's the ultimate ace in the hole. One of the mysteries of the story is whether or not FLAG are allies or enemies; they haven't killed the Dynamo 5 and seemingly want information, and they worked with their heroic father. However, Scatterbrain digs up the fact that they've tried to duplicate his powers before and simply want to discover how the Dynamo 5 did it. Apparently, if you have Capt. Dynamo as a parent to provide 50% of your DNA, then a dose of specific radiation brings it out; Chryalis' daughter was exposed at a much younger age, which may explain why she has more powers than her half-sibs. Or it could be that all DNA is different. In the back are some rejected concept sketches and I am glad that the characters were tweaked before being published, because some of their rejected designs were too generic, and not ethnically diverse. I'm not all for "tokenism", but that doesn't mean I don't like diverse teams. As usual, Mahmud's art is a joy to look at and Riley's colors add to the effect. Obviously Faerber likes the concept of superhero families a la' the Fantastic Four, as his NOBLE CAUSES is also about such a family, but it is the twists on that premise that keep things distinct. Some might say that the cost difference from monthly to trade is SO dramatic that it all but begs people to "trade wait", which is death for monthly sales (especially for small books like this one that need every 100 readers), but this is Image and a lot of their properties have gained steam in the trade market, so I can understand making the trades so cheap; good strategy. Marvel essentially does that with their digests, and it worked to revive RUNAWAYS. Plus, as these are original characters, you have all the freedom of an indie as Faerber can do whatever he wants. From the first issue 'til now, this has been a great superhero title for me, and hopefully it'll see the same critical success as Invincible has.

GHOST RIDER #14: After a brief interlude with WWH in order to save the book from possibly plunging into the Top 50 (which worked; the first WWH issue brought it back into the Top 30's), we're back to the general plot; Ghost Rider vs. Satan. Which is fine if one didn't know that some 30 years of comics said that Mephisto created him, not Satan. And also fine if you didn't know Ghost Rider had other enemies, like Blackout (who is fresh from the Raft and available for use). Imagine if in 12 out of 14 issues, Batman fought the Joker. Even with the appeal of Joker, eventually it gets old, and I am starting to get "Satan fatique" here, even omitting Way's "non-retcon re-retcon" of the origin. The premise, for those who forgot for 2 months, is that when Ghost Rider escaped Hell, he brought Lucifer with him, who broke up into 666 pieces and infested the souls of the dead (although these days he seems able to posess anyone, unless those sorta-normal looking people he's been possessing were just FRESHLY dead and didn't rot any). Every time one is killed, Satan's energy is re-distributed amongst the rest, making them all stronger (like Jet Li in THE ONE). This would mean of course that eventually if you kill all but one, you have Satan on Earth who seemingly can't be stopped. Which would mean that just roaming about killing them isn't the best idea, you need another. Perhaps some way to suck that energy out of the bodies, so Satan loses some power. But, no. Blaze meets up with a F-buddy named Trixie and explains that he and Ghost Rider have some sort of plan, but for now it just amounts to the same ol', killing off the Devil-Posessed and making all the rest stronger. I know GR was never a genius, but c'mon. I suppose he could have asked Dr. Strange for help, if he hadn't nearly killed him a few issues back. If there is some sort of plan Blaze has, hopefully it gets revealed. Meanwhile, some Angels in Purgatory (or at least exiled from Heaven) for a past transgression decide on some gambit to get back in that involves posessing a Hiro fangirl (yes, Hiro from HEROES), who fits every fangirl cliche like a checklist. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the issue, or that Texeira's art isn't as great as always. I just am getting a little tired of the storyline as we surpass the first year of the book. The solicts say this is the endgame for it, and I hold to all hell it is true. You can only take so much of Satan I guess. And Way has a dark, twisted sense of humor for Satan that usually gets a smirk out of me. But at this point I wonder if the Satan "non-retcon re-retcon" (basically, switching Satan for Mephisto in the 70's was a retcon, but this switch back isn't even TREATED as a switch, it just assumes you don't know any better and will go along with it, which is bullocks for the GR fans they are trying to entice to buy this) was made because Way had little other storyline to go with, and he doubted Marvel would allow him to use Mephisto or something. I look forward to seeing this story reach it's conclusion. Hopefully it will make this a stronger book; BLUE BEETLE has improved since it dropped using the "Jamie searches for his origin" plot from every issue and hopefully this will follow suit. It just may be another few issues beforehand. Looks pretty and has some decent action and lines, though.

NEW AVENGERS #33: Not a hoax, a dream, or an imaginary tale! An actual SUPERVILLAIN graces the pages of a NA issue! This hasn't happened for, what, a year? More? Not just one villain, several, in fact, as Bendis gums up his "everyone is a Skrull and thus anything can be retconned, especially that Parker Marriage that Joe Q would sacrifice his soul to end" with his ambition to make The Hood, from BKV's MAX mini and McDuffie's BEYOND! mini into the new "Kingpin of Crime", now that the actual Kingpin is in prison, being beaten down by Spider-Man (or in Europe, as in DD, or menacing the Runaways, as in RUNAWAYS; sheesh, that fat-arse has about as much ability to stay in place as Logan). Now, this storyline I actually have been looking forward to. Kingpin has been gone from his high perch for quite a while now and few forces have organized villains decently; hence their lack of any sort of grand attack to capitlize on CW or even WWH. Bendis picked the Hood because he sees Hood as a decent character at risk of falling into Limbo, and naturally ANY character appearing in the #1 selling book in the industry will become hot, because our medium is that shallow. Seriously. Frog-Man appears for two issues, he'd then get a mini that would sell 55k. Anyway, the only quibble in that plan is that some past stories, especially BEYOND!, painted the Hood as, well, a selfish hood looking out for himself and not above stealing or killing, but also someone who wasn't totally evil and may have wanted to go straight, for his own sake or for the sake of his girlfriend and mother. Naturally, Bendis wants him in the crime-boss role, and Bendis sees characterization as a mere inconvience that gets in the way of roles he has for characters. To Bendis' credit, in Newsarama interviews he's stated that his reasoning is that the Hood is empowered by a demonic cloak, which may be mystically influencing him, which I could buy. What I CAN'T buy is how Dr. Strange can teleport the team from Chicago to Grenwich Village but be utterly useless in a plane crash. If you can't, or refuse, to get a character's powers right, then don't use that character at all. Bendis has shown he is best in crime noir and anything else stretches the one-note wonder he calls talent. To this storyline's credit, it introduces crime noir, with Hood gunning down Owl to make a name for himself and trying to organize the villain underworld, which is one of Bendis' strengths. It's part of why he managed to make DAREDEVIL work. It helps if you forget that Wizard is also in the FF fighting with his Frightful Four, especially since Yu actually makes him look less laughable here. Also appearing are Crimson Cowl, Madam Masque, Jonas Harrow, and their enslaved Luther Manning Deathlok andriod, who hailed from an alternate reality. The Hood basically wants to make a mark for himself by attacking the Avengers, but when Wolverine stumbles his way into their hideout, things may get easier for him. I'd question whether or not killing off the Owl was required, but his death hasn't been confirmed and one could argue he hasn't done a lot in a while, anyway, and what little he did was thanks to Bendis using him in DD. The book has another problem, though, and that Luke's Skrull paranoia has now officially reached the point beyond paranoia when it is just ridiculous, almost laughably ridiculous, and also cliche'. Y'know, the angry black man who suspects everyone and trusts no one. Not only does he just about get Spider-Man off the team, he doesn't even trust his wife and infant (the infant, a few issues back, was noted as probably being the Skrull). Someone might say, "hey, it makes sense to be suspicious and paranoid of shape changing Skrulls, if we are taking this seriously". But screaming at everyone, "TELL ME YOU ARE A SKRULL OR I'LL BEAT IT OUT OF YOU!" doesn't help either. No answer is good enough and it just alienates the heroes who AREN'T Skrulls. Bendis also uses the fact that Capt. America trained Hawkeye in how to fight to justify why he can kick arse as Ronin (an identity that is passed around like an STD), but once upon a time there was a difference between, "Cap teaches you self defense" and "Cap trains you to perfectly use a katanna, ninja stars and ninja whatnot like a god damned embodyment of every Frank Miller cliche possible". If the swordplay was attributed to his OTHER mentor, Swordsman, then why isn't this noted in a line of dialogue, too? It always appalls me how Bendis can waste dozens of useless, utterly throwaway dialogue, yet sometimes some of his biggest continuity blunders could have been averted with a mere 1-2 lines of dialogue somewhere. It either shows a lack of research or care. Anyway, I'll give props for Bendis even remembering the Cap-training, and the fact that he is using villains, and the fact that this storyline might actually bring about good things for the Marvel Universe's underworld. But like too many of his NA stories, whatever good he does is bogged down by missed oppurtunities, continuity/power F-ups, repetition of his own tired plot points (obviously, for Hood to be successful, the heroes have to fail to stop him, because writing about heroes failing is something Bendis is known for), and some pacing issues. What is great of course is how it ties in perfectly with MIGHTY AVENGERS, which Bendis also writes, which is a courtesy he very rarely provides to other writers unless it is some tie-in event and he has editorial demand to it; the sort of selfish writing that adds to why people bash him so much; he may not be arrogant in real life, but the sense of him believing things are all about himself comes off in his writing, and Marvel's coddling created it (if Marvel's boss told me how great I was before I even typed something, I'd be arrogant too). This storyline would be better if not for the spectre of the Skrull stuff, and all of the hackneyed retcons that it may inevitably bring the MU, covering it like maggots on a carcass. And maybe I'd be looking forward to the inevitable conflict if Yu wasn't drawing things like a tripped out death metal album cover from the late 90's. The fact that he is rushing less on the covers than on the interiors has never been more apparent. In one panel Rand is almost unrecognizable and all his women look like the same sketches save for hair. And between him and Finch, I wonder if Bendis says in his scripts, "draw everyone looking like they are pouting or passing a stone in every panel possible". But at least thank god he managed to make the Wizard look less silly, and his Hood scenes are good. Much like Bendis himself, he does some things very well, which only makes one wring their hands when other things get botched. Maybe I would care to see this team breaking apart if the NEW AVENGERS ever seemed like an actual team to begin with, or if Luke Cage wasn't paranoid to the point of utter stupidity. There are some hopefull things coming from this Hood storyline, and possibly a chance at redemption. But we've said this at the start of any Bendis storyline, and we've been disappointed how many times? So I am reserved here.

Good god, I am so tired of Bendis. If his books weren't the de-facto primers for the rest of the MU, I wouldn't even bother. But I like knowing what sort of **** I may have to expect within the next year or so.

NOVA #5: Thankfully, as some people like photojones2 and TheCorpulent1 noted last month, Richard Rider isn't dead (and no, I still believe a Kree military medic is under no authority to be able to declare if a cosmic metahuman is alive or dead with 100% certainy) and Worldwind has deputized Ko-Rel as Nova Centurian 0001 in order to protect Richard, who is "Nova Prime". In case TRANSFORMERS was forgotten by people, any name with Prime at the end sounds better. Even Superboy Prime. Ko-Rel, for her part, goes through the usual motions of someone who never asked for power to be thrusted upon them and has motives/ideas that the omnipotent space intelligence doesn't always concur with. Ironically, I suspected Nova would start recruiting people eventually, and I expected it to be a more willing sort of thing, but instead, Abnett & Lanning basically reversed his own origin for Ko-Rel (she recieved the Nova power after encountering a mortally wounded human). Unfortunately, the Phanalax are on their heels and slaughter some of her people that she has been protecting for a year, and even when she leads them away, her tactics aren't lost on Gamora, who finds the regenerating Rider and infects him with the virus, bringing him at full power and under their control. What is interesting about the Phanlax here is they don't just make everyone mindless, obediant slaves when they control them; they all seem to retain some spark of their core character. Gamora retains her attraction for Rider from their ANNIHILATION romance. Naturally, this helps because it allows their victims to employ their character-distinct talents for the Phanalax that may've been lost if they just controlled a mass of robotic slaves, like Gamora's stealth tactics here. Brainwashings are a dime a dozen in comics so seeing one that tries to be unique in a way is refreshing, and a plus for the event as a whole. Ko-Rel is naturally conflicted and she has good reason to be, even if she isn't so appealing to me thus far she should star in the book for long. Anyway, this issue makes it obvious that the same characters who saved the day in ANNIHILATION (Nova, Drax, Ronan, Gamora, Super-Skrull, etc) aren't going to in CONQUEST, and it may fall on the shoulders of others. It remains to be seen if this works out, but I have some faith.

WRAITH #2: Otherwise titled SPACE-EMO. I know everyone called it from the first issue, solicts, and covers, but good lord, the origin reveal at the end is the literal DEFINITION of "emo". I expect it to be emotastic, but sweet christmas, this is like bronzed emo on a F'ing plate. Basically, Wraith hails from a sect of lost Kree explorers whose souls were absorbed by some space parasite in exchange for power, and they literally need bodily pain to remember who or what they used to be, and are immortals begging for death from their soulless existance. Or, basically, half the premise of every death metal song written. But, most of the issue focuses on Ronan and the Phanalax. As I noted in my NOVA #5 review, the Phanalax don't make their victims mindless slaves, but allow them to retain some aspect of themselves for their benefit; this also means that some individuals, either through will or physical specifics, know they are under control and react to that. Super-Skrull, for his part, is a shapeshifter who is used to being manipulated by others and believes he will be free. Ronan, for his part, hates what he is becoming for the Phanalax and refuses to willingly submit, even as he has no choice but to do their bidding against fellow Kree. Naturally, the Phanalax see themselves as order amongst chaos, as every single AI villain in the history of all recorded fiction sees themselves, but this works for the Phanalax and CONQUEST so I let it slide as a genre expectation being handled well, which is all I ask. Wraith resists torture and can't be killed, so Ronan infects him with the Phanalax virus to seemingly suck the one thing that he has, his will. Now, I get the feeling that Grillo-Markuach thinks Wraith is the coolest thing ever, and in a way he has a sort of "man with no name in space" appeal (the "Man with No Name" being Clint Eastwood's character in a trio of Westerns, naturally). His origin is certainly within the realm of Marvel space physics. But despite all that he still seems like a shell of a character, especially since he may be here to replace the far-more-interesting Drax, now that Thanos is dead and he has no purpose. Maybe I am being hard on a new creation when I sometimes ask people not to be, but for right now he is Space Emo, whose entire comic is in a cliche death metal soundtrack (imagine some guy rasping, "Eeeyyyyeeee blllleeeeeeddd tooo feeeellll aaaa-LIIIIIVVVEEE!" to guitar rifts somewhere). Hotz's art is perfectly fine here, and there are bits I like about the character, just not everything is gelling so well into a whole. Wraith just needs a hug. Thank goodness STARLORD is also shipping to pop the balloon of self-importance here. And I do actually like some metal music. If I had to choose between Wraith and Ko-Rel as new CONQUEST characters though, Ko-Rel wins by a mile.

The rest, due to post character limits:

OMEGA FLIGHT #5: This story was so meant to be the first arc of an ongoing, it isn't even funny. The sales figures strongly support that whatever caused Marvel to believe there wasn't enough demand here to support an ongoing was flawed. The end page plugs the upcoming MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS relaunch that focuses on Collective/Guardian, but that's not enough; Oeming and Kolins have to be announced as working on a new #1 for an official ongoing of this, like, now. This may not have been the most original or shocking story there ever was, but it was action-packed superheroism from a writer who knows his stuff and a dynamic artist, and really, how many of us really demand much more? The conflict between the Taranaqian Great Beasts & the Wrecking Crew vs. the new ad-hoc Omega Flight wraps up as you'd expect. The Crew go down pretty fast once their demonic benefactor is dusted by Talisman & Sasquatch, but that's not the point; the point is Oeming made these former jokers into villains would could be tough and actually sort of nasty, and they desperately needed that. Talisman used Shaman's magic pouch to contain the demons, and Walter's innate goodness did the rest, the sort of thing that always works in comics books. What was good was that in being posssed once again, Walter understood where Pointer came from, who killed his friends while being posssed by The Collective & Xorneto. U.S. Agent also fulfills the role of "team jerk" nicely, being the only guy who smiled when Sasquatch was seemingly about to kill Thunderball (and his vendetta against Purple Man is noted at the end). Beta Ray Bill serves as a much better stand-in for Thor than Sentry will ever be for Mighty Avengers, and even after he seemingly sacrifices himself to vanquish the Great Beasts, he still comes out like a bad-arse. Even Arachne seems to be fine just by being herself here, and after so much attention being spent on Drew after NA, I don't mind having Carpenter back with a new name (which was her intended original name anyway). Only 2 of them are Canadian, but that nationality angle hasn't revived the team twice before, so I don't mind that Oeming made it optional; Canada is a key U.S. ally after all and plenty of Americans live and travel there. The long and the short of it was, this was a good story and combined with the sales, not making this an ongoing with the same creative team would be a complete waste of potential, and hopefully Marvel realizes this and bites soon. Just an awesome series.

PUNISHER: WAR JOURNAL #10: The Hate-Wonger storyline was starting to ware on me with the twisted pacing and whatnot, and thankfully this issue keeps it all in the present and wraps it up, and good for that. Frank is freed by Bridge and naturally has his showdown with Hate-Monger and offs him. Stuart Clarke blows up their hate-generating machines and vows to avenge his fallen lover, even though Frank technically killed her while under the effects of the H-energy, a major tidbit that Frank doesn't reveal, which may drive a wedge between their alliance. Bridge, meanwhile, allows Frank to flee so he can continue the chase and the series doesn't end. Compared to THE ORDER or IMMORTAL IRON FIST, this is probably Fraction's worst title, but it still hits all the notes right that I enjoy it. Ironically, the next issue will be the first issue of something I actually buy with Winter Soldier in it, and I expect someone will be irked by that. Oh, well. It is nice to see Punisher of all people reacting to Cap's death, even if it is in some sort of demented way.

ULTIMATE X-MEN #85: Amazing what decent art for action can do, eh? Kirkman's run on UXM has been marred by him not finding clear direction for a while merged with some utterly terrible artists, usually Oliver, utterly killing any action sequence he planned. Raney did some good issues, but they were wasted on the Magician art. Ever since, the best artist available has been Paquette, who delivers here and hopefully can stay longer than 2 issues. The Sentinals attack the Mutant Liberation Front, and Bishop's X-Men go fight them. The MLF, led by Stryfe (who isn't Cable's clone, thankfully) is using Xavier's death as a motive, as they believe humans caused it to rebuild the Sentinals to finish mutants. The Sentinals, of course, are being commisioned by the Fenris Twins, another leftover from BKV's arc. Pyro seemingly joins the MLF at the end, but as a mole. Now that Kirkman has broken things up a bit in the book by splitting the team, things are interesting, but I'd be less than honest if it wasn't the better art that didn't thrill me. It ends with another rehash of Phoenix, which I am slowly tiring of even in the Ultimate universe, but so far this title is improving. It still isn't what it once was, and it still is the worst Kirkman book I read, though (ironically, it sells the best out of all of his books, some of them combined). I still don't buy Cyclops closing shop and all, but things at least are different. And the art is nice.

Omega Flight #5
I knew Oeming would come through in the end. After issue upon issue of no Beta Ray Bill action, Oeming finally cuts loose and has Bill be the ultimate badass of the Omega Flight team. It was awesome. Also, I guess the end of this issue covers JMS' ass for not having Thor hear of Bill's exploits in Canada and go for a visit--the dude's hanging out in another dimension.

One thing that bugged me, however, was the demons. Weren't they supposed to have some kind of connection to Surtur or the demons Thor faces in oblivion or something? I distinctly remember there being some implication of a connection between Bill's existing baggage and the Great Beasts through those little bastards. Oeming never followed up on that here, which I can only assume means he was planning to do so in another arc when this was going to be an ongoing, which means this comic needs to be made into an ongoing now.

Regarding the rest of the characters in the issue, I really liked Arachne's explanation of the team's status. Her commentary on USAgent, especially. It was kind of sweet and grudgingly respectful under its snarky veneer, which struck all the right chords for an old Avengers West Coast fan like myself.

Anyway, I hope Bill finds a way out of that dimension soon. This mini was a bit of a rollercoaster, owing mostly to the strange pacing for a mini-series, which isn't really the creators' fault, but ultimately I think it turned out quite good.

Omega Flight suffered from being a mini that was written as an ongoing. It really dragged the series down a bit if you ask me.

I think I'm allergic to mold, and the mold count is ridiculously high in my town. I'm not feeling so hot, so I'm keeping these short again this week. Also, my guy at the comic shop asked me to help out around the place, so it looks like I'll be putting in a few hours a week in exchange for free swag. I know you're all jealous.

Annihilation Conquest: Wraith #2 - I've officially eaten my nice plate of crow, seeing as how I actually enjoyed this. Last issue made me want to slap whoever came up with this (then) horrible character and story, and this issue had me digging the origin of Wraith, as well as the Kl'rt cameo and the drop dead sexy artwork by Kyle Hotz. Dread commented how this is emo personified, and I can see his point. The Nameless basically being cosmic cutters was pretty damn emo, but Wraith's story was fleshed out well and I found it to be fairly original and creative.

Nova #5 - As predicted, Rich is still alive but barely kicking. That is until Gamora visits him and makes a mess of things. This is still one of Marvel's best ever relaunches over the past several years and I'm liking it a lot. I hope Ko-Rel sticks around after AC wraps up. This book could use a supporting cast and I don't hate her.

Casanova #8 - I didn't think anyone could top Gabriel Ba's art from the first 7 issues, but his twin bro Fabio Moon may have done it. This is one awesome book, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's a fan of anything. This issue kicks off the "When is Casanova Quinn?" storyline that sees the book's title character removed for the better part of the arc. No worries from me, as Fraction's built up the...I'll just call it "eclectic"...supporting cast to be just as interesting as Cass himself. The trade is either out now or comes out very soon. You're doing yourself a big favor if you pick it up.

Dynamo 5 #6 - The little book that could. Not as breathtakingly perfect as Invincible, but better than a lot of the crap the Big Two put out. It didn't take long for this title to hit it's groove (#3, in my opinion), and it's been gaining steam ever since. Slingshot takes center stage in this issue and meets Augie, Maddie's old FLAG partner. Meanwhile, the rest of the kids are interogated by FLAG agents while Maddie herself learns that Synergy (the young villianess from last issue) is also her late husband's child. There's a lot going on and it's all well paced and well drawn. Asrar specifically took his time with Slingshot in this issue. She's hot. :up:

Daredevil #99 - Review proof. Another flawless issue. Move on.

New Avengers #33 - Like him or not, Yu's a machine. Seven issues, all on time with no fill ins. It's a shame that's as commendable as it is. Also, for the first time since CW started (over a year ago) we get actual villians. Real live, Marvel supervillians. And Deathlok! I enjoyed this issue, and it's getting to the point where I'm not ashamed to say it anymore. Anyone who says they don't like this book is either lying or illiterate. It's not perfect by any means, but it's a completely enjoyable read, and pretty to look at to boot.

Punisher: War Journal #10 - I was happy to see G.W. Bridge catch a break. I like him. Actually, I really like what Fraction's done with adding some characters for Frank to interact with, and not just gun down. Clarke got a whole lot more interesting in this issue and I'm looking foward to him staying around as Frank's new "Microchip". This is a good book and I'm glad I hunted down the back issues when I did. Dread mentioned that it's Fraction's worst book, and while that makes it sound like this book sucks (it doesn't), he might be right. The Immortal Iron Fist and the aforementioned Casanova are damn near perfect monthly comic books, and The Order had a very impressive debut last month. PWJ might not be as flawless as those books, but it's still one of my favorites, and certainly one of Marvel's better books. And I can't wait for next issue and Bucky's confrontation with Frank. The beautiful cover alone is worth the $2.99. :up:

I just noticed I picked up The Un-Men #1 which I somehow forgot to read. It looks very cool, and I was looking foward to sitting down with it but it's late and I'm exhausted. I also have to swing back by the shop tomorrow seeing as how I forgot to pick up BPRD: The Killing Ground #1. I'm forgetful today...

New Avengers #33

So Luke Cage is either a Skrull or he's gone uber-paranoid. I mean what's next? Is he going to stop Wong on his way to the bathroom asking him why he's going to take a dump for the third time in a day all of sudden?

Anyway, this issue wasn't too bad, and I thought a bit of a step up from the previous issues. Spidey reasserts some independence making it clear he's ready to leave the New Avengers at a moments notice. The bit with Echo flashing her **** at the waiter felt gratuitous. Whatever, after Mighty Avengers it would take full on sex scenes to faze me.

The Hood as the Kingpin of Villains? Well, I don't know. I recently read his mini in preparation and I gotta say, he didn't come off all that villainous. We'll see what happens. Still, the Owl getting killed definitely was a bit shocking. The cliffhanger was a bit stupid though. I mean Wolverine might get shot? Oh no.

3/5.

Daredevil #99

Mr. Fear is back and he's destroyed Matt Murdock's life.

Milla's a murderer now, obviously under the influence of Fear who I imagine everybody's pegged as the psychiatrist that she was seeing some months ago. There's no way I can see her remaining in Matt's life after this.

Everything is building to this moment and I'm expecting one of the greatest Daredevil issues ever to hit the stores next month.

5/5 as if there would be any doubt.

What WRAITH maybe needs is a supporting cast to bounce off of; right now he's an origin with a "leave me alone" warrior vibe. These types usually need someone to bounce off of, like Hulk with Rick Jones or Drax with Cammi.

And yeah, Ko-Rel seems a natural to stick around NOVA if she is willing to participate after probably having to fight him inevitably as he is part of the Phanalax now.

I agree on OMEGA FLIGHT, it is begging for an ongoing and for once the sales support it (sales tanked on AGENTS OF ATLAS and THE LONERS).

What WRAITH maybe needs is a supporting cast to bounce off of; right now he's an origin with a "leave me alone" warrior vibe. These types usually need someone to bounce off of, like Hulk with Rick Jones or Drax with Cammi.

The problem is, he is so obviously based off Clint Eastwood's Man with no Name. And frankly, he was just really a guy who showed up, was badass, and went on to the next western.

The problem is, he is so obviously based off Clint Eastwood's Man with no Name. And frankly, he was just really a guy who showed up, was badass, and went on to the next western.

Can't wait for that comic to come out.

But even he had some people to talk too occasionally. In FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE he had the soldier who wanted vengence for his murdered sister, and in THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY, he had the thief Tuco (who was "The Ugly").

I wouldn't say Wraith is overtly badassed. In the beginning he already states he doesn't want a confrontation, he's pretty clueless as to what's going on in Kree Space and he has powers that affect the Phalanx but has yet to be seen applied on other characters. He is definitely getting the brunt of being the new character but I'm holding onto him because he does show promise. The main reason why Drax isn't around is probably because Keith wanted to focus more on his other reintroduced character Starlord. And honestly ALL origin stories are emo. Haven't you heard 'Back to Shalla-Bal'? or the number of times the Surfer talked about Zenn-La? I swear he *****es more about Zenn-La than them Hobbits ***** about the Shire..

I wouldn't say Wraith is overtly badassed. In the beginning he already states he doesn't want a confrontation, he's pretty clueless as to what's going on in Kree Space and he has powers that affect the Phalanx but has yet to be seen applied on other characters. He is definitely getting the brunt of being the new character but I'm holding onto him because he does show promise. The main reason why Drax isn't around is probably because Keith wanted to focus more on his other reintroduced character Starlord. And honestly ALL origin stories are emo. Haven't you heard 'Back to Shalla-Bal'? or the number of times the Surfer talked about Zenn-La? I swear he *****es more about Zenn-La than them Hobbits ***** about the Shire..

I'd never deny Silver Surfer was a bit emo back then. Hell, have you ever watched the 90's SILVER SURFER cartoon, the one that lasted for a season? Good lord, every 12 seconds it was "Zenn La" this and "Shalla-Bal" that and I was happy Thanos destroyed the universe at the end just to be rid of it. :p

But the "feeling pain/self mutilation" bit to reclaim feelings is the literal defining detail of "emo" kids.

One thing that bugged me, however, was the demons. Weren't they supposed to have some kind of connection to Surtur or the demons Thor faces in oblivion or something? I distinctly remember there being some implication of a connection between Bill's existing baggage and the Great Beasts through those little bastards. Oeming never followed up on that here, which I can only assume means he was planning to do so in another arc when this was going to be an ongoing, which means this comic needs to be made into an ongoing now.

Anyway, I hope Bill finds a way out of that dimension soon. This mini was a bit of a rollercoaster, owing mostly to the strange pacing for a mini-series, which isn't really the creators' fault, but ultimately I think it turned out quite good.

Yep, their part of Surtur's demon horde and I really wished they explained that as well. They even incorrectly labeled them as Great Beasts in the issue. Thier not Great Beasts :(

Bill should be dead by now from the other Great Beasts...but meh! Mike made a quite a few errors, but it still was a fun read. It was far from perfect, but it was good.
===
Sidenote:

Why was Talisman depowered? It was most likely to try to keep Strange and her at the same level as Strange has been depowered as well

What irked me the most is the end USAgent kicks the Crews ass, but Walter couldn't? What the hell? He's basically the punching bag for the entire mini and really doesn't do anything of note worthy give the guy some due he deserves it. Also no Snowbird when a Great Beast arrived on our plane? errrr?

Ha ha. Yeah that toon was great except for the whole Zenn-La obsession. It was especially cool to see Beta-Ray Bill and the Surfer in Asgardian-esque clothing. One of the possible reasons why no one ever said 'emo' to Surfer's face was the possibilty that he could destroy your whole @#$%ing planet in response.

WTF...? Triple-post? Thats never happend before....

Fables #64

In a typically Fables moment, we cut away from the a finally-going-somewhere story arc that is reaching critical mass to a fill-in to give Mark Buckingham some more time on art. However, we get a bit of insight into Fabletown's newly-drafted army, which is interesting; otherwise, the issue focusses on the slowly-building relationship between Little Boy Blue and Rose Red (hinted at ever since he got back to Fabletown and was sent to the Farm for a period of years), and, mainly, on Snow and Bigby letting their kids know about their invisible, incorporeal brother Ghost. It's a nice issue, from a writing standpoint (although it doesn't come close to my favourite fill-in: the history of Smalltown).

Which brings me to the art: the art is, quite frankly, rather bad, and totally inappropriate for this title. If you thought the art on #22, the first Cinderella story, wasn't up to grade, this is much worse. Now, it's slightly mitigated since it's about the kids, for the most part, but it still doesn't fit. I really wish they had found someone better.

Green Lantern #22

The Sinestro Corps storyline continues, in what is awkwardly advertised on the cover as "Part IV" (counting the Special, the previous issue of this series, and Green Lantern Corps #14), but is called "Part III" on the inside (counting just the Special and the previous issue of this series). Similarly, the issue throws in a few mentions of what's happening in the GLC portions of this storyline (panels of Dr. Natu in the aftermath on Korugar, and a view of the Guardians deploying their forces to the defense of Mogo, which will be the main story of the GLC issues), while at the same time telling what is undeniably the main story of this event. We left off with Hal in the clutches of Parallax and a mass of Sinestro Corpsmen; defeat seems inevitable; until, as I predicted, the Lost Lanterns arrive to back up the guy they despise. Although Jack T. Chance is killed by Parallax, the other Lanterns shrug off his pop psychology powers, and escape to the tunnels beneath Qward, where they split up to locate the Ion entity and Guy & John (Hal, Tomar Tu, and Graf looking for the latter). The escape seems somewhat implausible, given that even combined, this group amounts to only about eight people, against a cosmic-level villain Parallax and an army of ring-wielders; this isn't the Sinestro Corps' finest hour, after several issues of basically walking over everyone). Anyway, Guy and John are found, being held/indoctrinated by Blue Vampire Bondage Queen, aka, Lyssa Drak, the keeper of the Book of Parallax, who is apparently not just a librarian, but also a badass warrior, if the cliffhanger is to be believed.

This story continues to fire on all cylinders. Despite all the aforementioned story, the highlight of this issue is a two-page scene between Cyborg Superman and the Anti-Monitor, where Geoff Johns gives Henshaw the perfect, believable motivation for joining with the Sinestro Corps: he wants to die, and he believes the Anti-Monitor might actually be able to kill him. Impressive writing. However, I do have one concern: the number of villains in this story threaten to overwhelm it, and prevent any one from really standing out.

X-Factor #22

This week's X-title sees M and Siryn go after the anti-Mutant movement's answer to Prussian Blue (look them up, if you aren't familiar with them; a really sad case of parents warping their kids), while the main X-Factor Investigations team deals with the newly arrived Isolationist, Josef Huber, who, as we find out at issue's end, is playing a very duplicitous game. Ever since Nicole arrived, she's been throwing Layla for a loop, which is a great change of pace for a character whose presience and general know-it-all-ness verges on annoying much of the time, even if that's the point (I've been burned too often on "mysterious" characters like Layla, whose agenda, if ever actually revealed, usually underwhelms or doesn't fit their overall actions/behaviour). A fun title, with strong character interaction; I still haven't decided if I'm sticking around long-term, but since I'm on for the crossover at least, they've got my money until February.

Speaking of crossovers, this issue's backup provides the first real, solid lead for the new Beast/Dark Beast team, as they investigate the possibility of Nate Grey's reality-warping powers as a solution; of course, Nate has dispersed himself using his mutant powers, but Dark Beast observes that since he used his powers to dissemble himself, he should be able to reintegrate himself.

I thought Deathlok (AKA Luther Manning) was human again...he was just in Fantastic Four.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogmanyoyo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"