• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Bought/Thought for 10/10/07: HEAVIEST OF SPOILER ALERTS!!

Dread

TMNT 1984-2009
Reaction score
October is proving to be another "feast or famine" in terms of shipping schedules. Last week? 2-3 books. This week? Three times that. Wacky.

As always, full spoilers. B/T threads without spoilers are wimpy.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 10/10/07

BOOSTER GOLD #3:
This book is officially SUPERHERO QUANTUM LEAP as Booster Gold, with Booster & Rip traveling back to various time-periods and genres to save a member of the Justice League targeted for death each month. This time, it's Superman whose adoptive parent's ancestor is about to get whacked in the 1800's, which means Booster does a Western and we meet DC's best, and perhaps only, noteworthy Western character, Jonah Hex (who has an ongoing I believe, that gets good reviews). After blowing away one nosey stranger, Hex manages to connect with Booster long enough to share some drinks and information; it is very funny but also feels obligatory. You can't shake that feeling of, "Of COURSE Hex can't just blow Booster away, too, because the story wouldn't work". But because this title is played for laughs half the time, Johns & Katz can get away with some plot holes now and again. Speaking of Johns, as he easily becomes the most overworked writer at DC these days, ask most fans and their opinion of him shifts, but this book is mostly about fun and nostalgia, as well as genre hopping. Next issue has a time travel team-up with the Barry Allen Flash and the Wally West Kid-Flash, which may remind many of a time when this sort of thing was special, and not mindlessly repeated without any sort of pizzazz. The art is good, it has decent action, good pacing, a complete story every issue (with the overall subplot linking it all together), and some very amusing dialogue (Booster Gold Drunk = Hilarious). He may be "The Greatest Hero You've Never Heard Of", but hopefully this won't become a DC book no one hears of. Unless it starts steering downhill dramatically, I'll be aboard for a while. Booster Gold's a great character, least if you like some underappreciated, self-defeating (and ever so human) types every now and again in the demigod mix. He's flawed but those flaws make him both entertaining and sometimes more "real" than Superman or Batman. I just wonder how much mileage Johns & Katz will make of the overall "Supernova/Time Criminal" storyline becore it becomes tedious. It's only been 3 issues, and some writers can easily stretch this for over a year, so I'm hardly impatient yet, especially when it's been so readable and light.

FANTASTIC FOUR #550: Yes, there's a reason they're no longer "new"; Storm & Black Panther leave at the end of this issue (lest they need to change the title to the Fantastic Six, which wouldn't fit the FF initials). And for the life of me, those INITIATIVE banners need to stop; that subplot has nothing to do with the story and hasn't for issues now. McDuffie is definitely an old-school guy. First we have an upteenth rematch with the Frightful Four and we're back to the age of some cornball technobabble and futuristic devices that look rather retro (like a device to summon the Silver Surfer that looks like an RC car control). And the Thing says stuff such as, "Like fun you will!", back in the days before PG cussing or even censored swears were allowed. This won't be for everyone, but I've been able to sit back and enjoy it for the most part. The Four (or Six) have to save the Universe from collapsing because some aliens accidentally created a device that basically gave Eternity an infection, which has spread and threatens to undo him (and this all reality). Included in the story is Dr. Strange, which makes sense because Eternity first appeared in his stories if I am correct, and you can marvel as the Sorceror Supreme does all sorts of incredible things like battle hordes of other-dimensional monsters, repear the embodiment of the universe and reveal truths with his Eye of Agomotto (and whimper that in NA he can't even save people from a falling plane or duck ninjas). Also included is Gravity, who McDuffie offed in BEYOND! but was left to resurrect and awkwardly "rewind" when Marvel's editorial board decided to resurrect Capt. Marvel, rather than allow Greg to become a new one. In a way, Gravity is a bit of a plot device as the Watcher requests him for his control over the element of gravity (and you really can't trust Graviton). Watcher promises to restore Greg's secret identity afterwards, which has me curious. I also wonder if Greg bothered to tell his girlfriend he was back alive before he went back to Wisconsin. Because if not, well, that's F'd up. I also suppose obsessed Storm fanboys (Claremont, and others) will be pleased with Strange claiming only he and Storm have the will to house Eternity's consciousness for a time (granted, he could have meant out of the group of them). The universe gets saved, the Wakandan royals shuffle off and the Four touch palms. The last narration panel seemed a little ill fitted, like there was a page cut off, but otherwise it was a fine little story. I also have to add that if ANNIHILATION did anything wrong, it was returning the Silver Surfer back to his original status quo in his first Silver Age appearance of serving Galactus, theoretically because that is what happened in FF2. That is the sort of obvious rewind stuff that is crippling DC and hardly fits at Marvel sometimes. Granted, I didn't read the Surfer mini's, but it just seems like a step backwards, undoing some 30+ years of development for Radd. This Four run hasn't been for everyone, especially coming off Waid's which was easily the highpoint of the decade for them, but I've enjoyed it.

FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #24: Or, ONE MORE DAY Part 2 of 4, and the final issue for FNSM I believe, before they are all merged into AMAZING. Which is a bit silly when you consider this was originally launched for Peter David to have a Spidey book and replaced some other canceled Spidey-book and now is gone after 2 years. But, anything to try to tighten up a line and yet ship more than one actual title once a month for him. Naturally, the big rumor from interviews with JMS is that Peter discovers some magical way to undo May's death, but the process means somehow undoing or negating his marriage to MJ, which somehow creates Jackpot. If that is true, then I may barf now. I have consistantly disagreed with Marvel Editorial's decision that all of what has plagued Spider-Man as a character was because of his marriage. Untrue. What has plagued him were a parade of writers who were uninterested in expanding or developing a supporting cast or finding interesting new ways to write and amp his enemies (without relying on the same damn 6 characters over and over), and editorial decisions that called for Spidey to lose his "everyman" angle further by joining the Avengers, moving into a tower and then exposing his identity on camera. And JMS is partly to blame for that; yes, he made May a wonderful character again, but chose to make her and MJ Peter's entire life. He did nothing but be Spider-Man or hang out with his wife and mother figure. No social life whatsoever. Which is fine if he was a 57 year old man, but he is supposed to be 27 at the eldest. No one under 30 is that boring, and those that are usually aren't as exciting to read about. Spidey was at his peak when his civilian social life, with loves, friends, and supporting cast, were as interesting as the villain of the week, and it is a shame writers Slott and Kirkman couldn't have gotten on this franchise 4 years ago, because they both seem to understand this concept and have utilized it in other books. Even USM for a time understood this. But rather than constructively try to fix this, Marvel is going for the quick fix, which never, never EV-ER has worked with ANYTHING, ever. At least not for long. I look forward to Slott on ASM, and even the idea that Jackpot is MJ as a superhero, but I know damn well that Joe Q has been willing to sell his soul to Satan to end the Parker Marriage, like it is his lifelong vendetta, and I might respect that except for the fact that I know Marvel has ADHD with most major decisions. Within a year, or less, if the marriage is undone, Marvel will flirt with redoing it, only "in a modern way" so it automatically is superior now than it was 20+ years ago, because anything that wasn't done on Joe Q's watch doesn't exist, or at least is "less equal". Perhaps this is merely another facet of this current mentality in society, that something that isn't done now, in the 21st century, doesn't count as much, and stuff done before has to be "redone" in the now to be "more official". But it is getting irritating to me, and I'm only 25, and perhaps sickened by all the remakes of films and shows that are usually inferior.
That rant over, the story itself has it's ups and downs. Joe Q's art is always rooted in the 90's a bit, and flipping through it reminded me of the way some SPAWN issues looked back then. It isn't bad, though; Joe's skill as an artist was never something that most held against him. It has led to delays in the event, however, as he also has EIC duties. Last time, Spider-Man found out that May is beyond medical science, so now he turns to his one pal who may offer something more; Dr. Strange. In a way, Strange's enterence seemed to pretend that the pair aren't serving together in the New Avengers right now, which I didn't mind because Bendis' Strange is usually massacred. JMS obviously likes magical themes and he handles Strange well enough; Strange understands the turmoil his ally is going through and while he doesn't do what Spider-Man asks, tries to use magic to help Peter understand that it simply is May's time, and nothing he can do can change fate. He makes a point at the end for Peter to at least remain with May until the end so he can bid farewell. JMS even ties things into some of his past ASM issues, before SINS PAST came along and he officially leaped the shark. There's a bit of "look what I can do" with connecting things, but it works well. It was definitely reckless for Spider-Man to dive into the magic stuff like he did, but I could understand it; wouldn't YOU try anything to save someone you loved, especially your mother figure? On the downside, we revisit May's shooting and Joe Q has made it far gorier than Garney did, which in a way cheapened it for me. I once compared it to DC's vicious treatment of some of their heroines and I was argued down because the shooting itself wasn't very bloody; but here, there is an extra bucket of red stuff thrown in. Artist interpretation, I guess. But I can tell you the exact page and panel where an otherwise interesting story lost me; the last panel, with a mysterious little girl offering other-dimensional salvation. DIDN'T WE GET THAT WITH HOUSE OF M!? Some obnoxious, living Mary Sue Maguffin device who serves to fill some plot hole the size of the bloody planet Jupiter? And wasn't that character an utterly annoying waste until it was left to another writer to make her interesting? I got the dread that this girl is JMS' Layla Miller, and it will fall on Slott to make her not retch-worthy (perhaps as Jackpot). Why should I have faith in a writer who was behind SINS PAST and THE OTHER and spider-totems and other fiction turds? He's been fine on THOR, but he's a bit over the hill on Spidey, IMO. I was ready for anything, but not for another snot-nosed magic brat. I would literally have preferred Spidercide, using both the Infinity Gauntlet and Carnage's symbiote, with the Stacy Twins as assistants. I would have preferred the Beyonder in his DISCO FEVER clothes (which actually would make some sense as he and Spidey were kind of pals). I would have preferred Howard Mackie and another Osborn actress retcon. Please, dear sweet Kirby, not another lifeless Cosmic Tween Maguffin. Basically, what was otherwise readable for almost 2 chapters seems to be realing for a gutpunch in the latter two halves, and I am officially bracing for the worst. On the plus side, the issue has a nice long Handbook bio for Mary Jane, and a reprint story, to further justify paying $4 for it.

GHOST RIDER #16: This may not be high caliber stuff, but at least it doesn't piss me the **** off like endless backward Spidey events or Bendis comics. Flawed as it is, I close the book with a smirk on my face. This one seems like a bit of a middling issue; Ghost Rider fights some more Satan corpse avatars and the two mysterious angels remain mysterious, only arrive on the scene. Ghost Rider had to rescue a little league team last issue and doesn't get to it this one. Blaze's big bold plan isn't quite revealed as his gal pal starts to get some pressure and second thoughts. There is still some nice action and some dark humored dialogue, and Way may have a plan for this, but I am starting to grow indifferent, and unless the finale offers some great potential for the subsequent arc, this may be my last. Nice art, though.

NEW AVENGERS #35: On the cover, right there, is the single most ******ed thing I thought I'd never see; Wolverine with a Venom symbiote. Both Logan and Venom were hotter than they ever were in the 90's and even teamed up once or twice, and amazingly even back then, in the 90's, such an idea was considered too stupid to be used (least outside a WHAT IF, which I believe had an issue where Venom bonded with Thor). Bendis obviously feels likewise. I couldn't be in the least bit interested. THANKFULLY, aside for a page towards the end, the symbiote invasion seems to be saved for MIGHTY AVENGERS, which is at least two months behind schedule, and most of this issue deals with The Hood gathering up super-villains as the new Kingpin, which is one of Bendis' more interesting recent storylines. He is good at the urban crime noir stuff and this issue has The Hood give your expected "aspiring organized crime boss" speaches, and that is all done fine. But the really awesome thing about Bendis is for every one thing that he writes that is good, he throws in some sort of error or element or angle that either equals it out, or overwhelms it. The most major of which I may touch upon in a second, and that is his feeling Tigra was deserving some sort of vicious beating, because heroines aren't targeted enough by criminals in the history of superhero comics. Firstly, what is the bloody POINT of the entre SHRA if beat cops are going to assume the worst of registered heroes and SHOOT AT THEM, try to arrest them!? Really, you'd think out of all states or cities, NY/C would be the MOST up to date with it as they are the FOCAL POINT of American heroics. The ENTIRE PURPOSE of the argument for registration was for scenes like that one being ELIMINATED. Not even that, Tigra is also an actual police officer, and thus should have had the brains to perhaps wear her badge on her belt now that she is registered. But this is Bendis' problem in a nutshell, he has great ideas for scenes and moments and if the rest of Marvel's continuity or common sense don't match, he just writes it on anyway. And then there comes the Hood's meeting pages. The speach itself is alright, decent reading. But the characters on panel, my god, it is like a checklist of continuity/character muggles, even considering some of the "formerly dead, now alive" characters from The Raft from the title launch. Who is at this meeting, which is supposed to be AFTER the CW (and after Cap's death and so on)? Nitro, who is supposed to be Namor-food. Armadillo, who is with the Rangers or Modok's 11, depending on where you fit things. Foolkiller, a vigilante who wouldn't DREAM of showing up to a criminal meeting unless it was to "kill some fools". Purple Man, who is supposed to be hiding in Canada (although to be fair, MODOK'S 11 screwed that up first, and since Bendis feels he owns and created Purple Man after ALIAS, I'll let it slide). Constrictor, who is supposed to be with the Shadow Initiative (and Bendis is in no way clever enough to later claim, "he was spying for Gyrich", because that would entail he cares about coordinating his books with others, when all current career evidence shows Bendis couldn't in the least bit be interested with that stuff). Rampage, in full armor, despite the fact that Stuart Clarke has been running with the Punisher in PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL for an ENTIRE YEAR now; are we to assume his armor was stolen, forever find No-Prize excuses for Bendis? And no, that isn't Red Skull, that is a lone Blood Brother, talking like a punk and who should probably be short on some power without his bro around. Then there is the Griffen, who instead of being a beastial monster as he was the last few times he was used, now suddenly has intelligence and wants to run with mafia villains. No use complaining about villains last seen carted off to jail, since jail can never hold them anyway (and Millar can stew on it). Plus you have characters who should seriously be enemies, like half the U-Foes in the same room with Crossfire, Mr. Fear, and Mandrill weren't out to kill them a mere two years ago in SPIDER-MAN: BREAKOUT. There have been a few Mr. Fear's, but the other two leave fewer excuses. I mean maybe it seems like nitpicking for a generic baddie gathering, but for chrissakes, stuff like this shows no one bothers to edit anymore. And with Yu's pencils, half these guys would be unrecognizable without McCaig's colors (many are even with). I did like how Hood got underworld cred for surviving a fight with Wolverine. More questionable is The Hood overpowering Tigra with a few pistol-whips and a shot to the leg. If Bendis wanted to research, he could have realized that the Hood can fire electric blasts, and used that to defeat her. Just because McDuffie forgot that for BEYOND! doesn't mean Bendis had to. It just seemed a bit, off, Hood overpowering her as if she was a human vigilante without physical powers. The demonic hood can likely be a maguffin for any sort of strength boosts, but, jeez, you got his invisible thing down and done well, why not do EVERYTHING well? But that is why Bendis is infuriating. He can't just get everything good, or everything crap. He mixes the two so it just gets frustrating to read. And Bendis should be proud that he delivered a bit of Misogynist Heroine Violence that almost made me think I was reading a DC comic, where that stuff has become disturbingly common (power drills, anyone?). I just wonder how he'd feel if someone decided to smack Jessica Jones around like that, is all. The baddies manage to use their Deathlok to rob a bank and then move onto greener pastures. I like the general idea here, and as usual, Bendis has chosen to surround his moments of brillance with moments of illogic, crap, or annoying dialogue (I swear, if I read "oh come on" from him one more time, I'll scream). NA is a very frustrating book, and I hate reading it. Hate it to death. It can't just suck or be good, it has to show it CAN be good but then surround itself in utter crap as, what, a balance? Add in the fact that Bendis is the unofficial EIC, and his power over the entire line will show next year for SECRET INVASION. People tell me, "settle down, Dread, he'll soon fade away like Byrne and Claremont", but my thing is, I don't have a decade or two in me to wait, and I dread the universe he wants to leave in his wake. If any book that I buy often that, if dropped, would cause me to be a happier person, it is this one. But like some damned trainwreck, I can't stop watching, and Marvel insists on making it and Bendis so damned important to the line, and my shop overorders this crap and for 10% off I may as well give him one less.

Part II:

NEW WARRIORS #5: Quickly becoming one of my favorite books, this is also a book on the threshold of tipping over into overdoing this a bit. It has relied on castoff X-Men for most of it's cast and I fear it may become 99% of the cast. And the New Warriors have become the symbol of superhero deaths at Marvel, and on the team's first major mission, one of them dies (revealed as Tattoo from Morrison's X-Men run, in her Longstrike guise). Sure, I know it made for a dramatic, "not again" moment, but I'm getting a little weary of seeing the New Warriors fail or mess up. What I DID like is how everyone didn't automatic assume they're the monsters that Millar & CW would have you believe. A random kid on a bike rushes to help them. The police give them respect at the scene. The newspaper acknowledges their interference likely SAVED people from the Zodiak gang, despite civilian injuries. And powerless Sophia shows she still can and wants to be a hero when the time comes, and the Warriors forced a retreat. Props go to Wondra/Jubilee, who unleashed a little "berserker rage" of her own (car smash FTW). Skybolt's real name is also apparently "Vin", like Vincent. And who is that mysterious figure watching the battle? And who WAS that kid on the bike anyway? While there are some elements of overdoing gimmicks, I do like some of these ongoing mysteries, although I become more and more concerned they will drag on past the first arc. The designs for these "new" heroes actually aren't bad, at least from Medina (Ripchord, Skybolt, Phaser, and the others). Night-Thrasher takes responsibility for Tattoo's death and disbands the team; Sophia survives and Black Panther insists he has no connection to the team. Skybolt's a bit of a jingoist jerk, but at least I like his design. Despite the lingering issues, Grevioux's created a book I can't wait for every month, and that I take a lot of interest in. I really hope the Thrasher identity isn't dragged out and the X-angle not overdone, because it would be a shame to saddle a great book with issues like those, but even if they do come true, I probably will like the book anyway. It is on a roll, and far better than we believed when those Newsarama previews came. It is 2007's YOUNG AVENGERS. Maybe not as good, but for 2007, it is compariable. The older Warriors were promised in future solicts, and I can't wait for that. And Grevioux usually gets continuity right, even if he does rely on greatly redesigning/recreating F-Listers that he estimates no one will care about. Still, seeing Jubilee on a superhero team and not on another X-team is something I didn't expect and it works for her. My mind is still buzzing, and in a good way, after every issue. It is a must-read.

NOVA #7: The ANNIHILATION CONQUEST issue continues and we get the story where Nova shakes off the Phalanx Virus and comes back to the side of angels; a story that was obvious by last issue when Ko-Rel wouldn't be replacing him for long. What makes the story is the execution and I feel Abnett & Lanning did it well. Yes, the "introspective" thing with Phalanx Nova talking to Rider Nova has been done before, but I think it was handled well; many times it isn't always the story or angle itself, but the execution. It also let us see into the mind of one with the virus and Abnett & Lanning, who have been behind most of the event so far, have avoided the Borg cliches of cybernetic enslavement and thus made it interesting again. The Phalanx learned how to utilize personal independance and quirks in their assimilated minions and that has made them more appealing to some...and dangerous to any who refuse. I still feel sorry for Ko-Rel, however, but obviously her death (and transferring of her energy as she died) allowed Richard to come back to fight off the virus, a feat that no infected person has done so far this event (Ronan is close, and Super-Skrull needed Wraith to rescue him). And yes, someone has a sense of humor and made Pikachu a Nova Centurian. And his "inner conscience" was bad-arse. Chen turns in come great work as ever and Gamora never looked sexier. It would take a helluva inner voice to get me to leave HER behind me, even to save the universe. Unfortunately, Nova's triumph over Phalanx posession leaves him at 17% power and on the run from his nearest green friends. Chen is leaving the book soon and while he forgot Nova's scar pretty quickly, the rest of his artwork was terrific and it will be a shame to see him go. The past year and change has seen Nova go from C-Lister to the verge of A-List and represents everything that can be right at Marvel right now. Good event stories, heroic actions and he has become stronger and cooler after almost every story. Abnett & Lanning also don't whine about how powerful their hero is and instead find ways to challenge him or explain why he isn't at top strength decently, AND IT WORKS. If only other writers and franchises were as good at it. And all he had to do was leave Earth behind. There's a message there, folks. NOVA's relaunch has relied on crossover tie-in's for 6 straight issue now, but that doesn't make it any less of a must-read, and one of my favorite books Marvel publishes now.

PUNISHER: WAR JOURNAL #12: I thought that GHOST RIDER's WWH tie-in was horribly obligatory; well, I was wrong. This is. Punisher decides to drop into WWH in the final act, although it takes place pretty much any issue after WWH #1. It involves a random bug-warrior from Sakaar who decides to break away from Hulk's invasion party and conquor in his own name (which is Mung the Inconcievable), with a bunch of random buglings with him. Punisher, in NO WAY battles or even sees the Hulk, so ignore the misleading cover. If you try to insert this into other WWH books, it probably doesn't work well. Or at all. But quite frankly this issue was so hilarious, in the actual "laugh out loud" catagory, that I didn't care. THE ORDER is Fraction's more serious solo effort and PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL has more tongue-in-cheek, which actually works for a character like Punisher. We have more poor people that the Avengers/Initiative/SHIELD "missed" in the name of Katrina, but Punisher is out to help a little girl, her family, and some homeless people escape to the ferry while he slaughters some bugs along the way. The dialogue is hilarious; while Stuart Clarke and his tech skills have easily become a video-game like Dues Ex Machina, things are too amusing to care. The concept of him making an immitation symbiote for Punisher to wear with three skulls on it shouldn't work, but it does because Fraction doesn't try to play it other than for some dark humor. Too many stories were hand ringing urban chillers with Punisher and those are a dime a dozen. And yes, a weapon after The Fighter from 8-BIT THEATRE'S heart, a "gun that shoots swords". Okay, okay, Olivetti merely makes it look like it simply shoots large knives, but is IS incredibly cool, in that macho, over the top way. And that is how this title works best; Punisher is a bit of an over-the-top, simplistic character and sometimes playing things too seriously stiffens him, as well as endless battles with the mafia. So why not supervillians and hulking aliens that he KILLS WITH THEIR OWN ARMS in ghetto symbiote armor? Somehow, Fraction makes it work without being pompus about it. There is some heart as in Castle's own twisted way, "he is here to help", and he does this once. Each line seemed to get funnier and funnier. It is Punisher vs. Aliens with chainsaws, guns, swords, and guns-that-shoot-swords. After seething with fanboy rage after OMD/NEW AVENGERS, this issue officially popped the balloon with chuckles. More like this, please. If any character deserves to be used like Brock Samson, why not Castle? Beats fighting the mafia every twelve seconds (you'd think there'd be none left, really, after 30 years of shooting them).

RUNAWAYS #28: Officially two months behind schedule, as Whedon/Ryan's run would be ending this month had each issue been on time. Naturally, RUNAWAYS was always a bit of a fluke, "magic in a bottle" type of franchise that BKV amazingly was able to maintain and improve upon for almost 4 years. Anyone trying to fill his shoes is going to have a hard time and I seriously doubt anyone can make these characters work the same way. One issue that Whedon has faced is he writes them as he envisions them as a fan and the quirks he liked best as a fan, not as they actually were written. To that end, Chase is a Joking Jock, Molly is more of an annoying little brat than she ever was, Victor is the stable everyman, and so on. That isn't to say that Whedon hasn't tried to replicate the charm of the dialogue, or the characters's mixed genre world of magic, technology, time travel and metahumans. And that isn't to say this isn't heads-and-tails superior to his ASTONISHING X-MEN work, at least for the past 12 issues of that. More happens in one issue of RUNAWAYS than 2-3 of AXM. And while Ryan is likely the reason the book is late and he makes the kids look more like college age than high school age, the art does stand out (and trust me, we'll all miss it when Ramos rears his ugly pencil). One could argue in some ways it is bursting at the seems. We have the current time travel plot, and you have to add in some of these new characters, including Klara, the battered child-wife with rose-growing powers who is obviously going to be brought to the present time, the "Street Arab" clan of "Wonders" with Lillie tugging at Victor's screws. Then add atop that a team of early 20th century heroes called The Upward Path who are a bunch of religious fanatics, and The Sinners clan run by the hulking Man-eater. Toss in the time-traveling Yorkes clan who just found out that Gert eventually dies (it is very hard to kill off time travelers; just look at Kang and all his divergent personalities). In some ways this has that very busy fan-fic quality to it with Whedon exploring every avenue he figured would be interesting as a fan, perhaps. And it isn't terrible; I probably like his run more than most other RUNAWAYS fans. But it just ain't the same, and this has gone from a book that was my #1 stable rock from Marvel to one that I virtually forget about between issues in favor of counting down for THE LONERS, NOVA, IMMORTAL IRON FIST, NEW WARRIORS, and so on. But I figure whatever enjoyment I get out of this book, I better appreciate for the next two issues, because I am not sure if I can stay aboard for Ramos. I could barely tolerate him for a few pages with the RUNAWAYS SPECIAL, much less 22 pages a month for the concieveable future, and who knows if Moore will use BKV's 40+ issue launch to figure how to write these characters, or just follow after Whedon's simplified version of them? And yeah, if their escape from Iron Man & SHIELD was so easy that it could have been explained via a panel or line of dialogue, why is that beyond Whedon? Little things do count. Readable, but she ain't what she used to be. I guess this is a glimpse of the future of RUNAWAYS as a property and not Vaughan's babies, and it may never work the same.

Spoilers, spoilers. Don't say I didn't warn, you...

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24
- I didn't buy this, let me make that clear. Marvel's not getting my money as far as the Spider-books are concerned. Not yet, at least. I read this in the shop. I'm not sure what I really think about it. It's mostly well written, even if I already know where the story is headed, and even still if I don't like that direction.

Doc Strange takes center stage as Peter tries desperately to find any way imaginable to save May's life. Strange casts a spell that lets Pete travel anywhere and everywhere at the same time. He visits Dr. Doom, Hank McCoy, Reed, Doc Ock, Morbius, Hank Pym, even Dead Girl. No one can help. This seems like the biggest copout in the world, and one that really kept me from being able to fully emmerse myself into the story. Strange speaks of this being May's time, and magic not being able to heal wounds that are not caused by magic in the place, but it all rings hollow to me. Where was this side of Strange when Wong was dying from a brain tumor? Did Strange just give up, and sit by his side until he went quietly into the night. Hell no, he didn't. He fought for him. That's why I can't really buy his advice to Peter about going to May and holding her hand through her last days. It's...bull****. This isn't something I consider to be nitpicky, either. It's a full on plot and character hole that JMS is choosing to ignore for the sake of his story. I find that to be both pompous and lazy. If this is truely where he wants to take Peter, May and MJ's lives, then so be it; we can't change that. But he could at least have taken the time to craft a story that makes sense on all fronts. I get that this is supposed to be an urgent story. I get that it's dire and Peter's at his wit's end. We don't need a thought balloon to tell us that. The situation tells us that. All JMS really needs to do is craft a story that hits upon good characterization and a solid plot. In my opinion, he's running about half empty. And what's up with that last page? Is that...pre-teen MJ? Hmm...

The other half of the team is Joe Quesada. His art's better then the last issue, I'll give him that. He's very talented and he knows the human body, it's just that his "extreme" angles and expressions are sometimes so exaggerated it's more then a little distracting. He's also developed this tendency to draw the eyes on the mask like clown makeup. That's the best way I can describe it. It's pretty ugly. Miki does nice work on the inks, though, and of course Isanove rocks the colors.

I'm glad I didn't spend the $4 on this. I just don't think that in the end it's going to worth it. Still, it doesn't hurt to peek between covers to stay current, does it? ;)

Runaways #28 - I did buy this, even though I said I wouldn't. And to be completely honest, I really enjoyed it. I think Whedon did a lot better job handling the characterization, especially with Chase. Even the new girl, Spieler, has grown on me. Her power is just...cool. I'll credit Michael Ryan for that, too. The way he drew the scene with her busting up the union busters, it really does look like she's dancing on air. I hope she makes it back with the group, as well as Molly and Karolina's new friend Klara. Not because I like her character, but because I'd just feel bad if she stayed behind with her "husband".

We get an even bigger cast of new characters in this issue, all which I found to be interesting and well designed. The Upward Path guys are pretty badass. I hope we see more of them before the story's over.

Punisher: War Journal #12 - This is my pick of the week so far. It's so over the top, I actually laughed out loud during one scene. Fraction gives Olivetti one hell of a send off with Frank donning yet another costume, Venom-Punisher, to take on Mung. It's insane. This book is pure fun I and pity the serious fool who can't get into it. All that and a gun that shoots swords. :up:

New Avengers #35 - Bendis did something strange here, in that he made a issue in which nothing happens, be enjoyable. It's basically the Hood explaining how things are going to be from now on, and there's nary a New Avenger in sight. Even the Mighty Avengers only briefly appear, and that's only on a TV as a live news report. And boy, is that Hood guy convincing. I was ready to take up arms and give the heroes what for. He plays the little guy role. Or, not him, but he makes his assortment of villians themselves feel like the little guy. All those heroes and cops and SHIELD agents are just there to keep from them what's theirs. They're special people and they deserve special things. That kind of stuff. It seems to work, as everyone pretty much falls in line and the Hood becomes the new Kingpin of super-crime. He basically just unionizes NYC's supervillian community. The Tigra appearance serves the story only to piss off Jigsaw so that when he questions just how the Hood plans to knock these super-guys over so easily, the Hood demonstrated by taking Jigsaw to Tigra's apartment to physically assault the beejezus out of her while Jigsaw video tapes the whole thing. And then they present it to the rest of group as a promise of what's to come if they stick together under the Hood's leadership. That scene's pretty hard to read and probably a bit misogynistic on Bendis' part. If there's one thing he likes more then writing women handing mean their asses, it's writing women getting there asses handed to them. It's either one or the other with him. The issue ends with the Hood and his posse seeing the symbiotes taking over the Mighty Avengers on TV and realizing that's their opportunity to take advantage of the disorganization. And, Yu's on the top of his game. Nothing seemed rushed to me, and it al looked awesome. Between the Hood and the Skrulls and the symbiotes, the team seems to have it's hand full. Here's to hoping Bendis doesn't **** it all to Hell.

I also got New Warriors #5, Clockwork Girl #1, Black Summer #3, Wolverine #58, Exterminators #22, BPRD: The Killing Ground #3, Nova #7, Sorrow #2, X-Factor #24 and Simon Dark #1.

Spoilers, spoilers. Don't say I didn't warn, you...

Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24
- Doc Strange takes center stage as Peter tries desperately to find any way imaginable to save May's life. Strange casts a spell that lets Pete travel anywhere and everywhere at the same time. He visits Dr. Doom, Hank McCoy, Reed, Doc Ock, Morbius, Hank Pym, even Dead Girl. No one can help. This seems like the biggest copout in the world, and one that really kept me from being able to fully emmerse myself into the story. Strange speaks of this being May's time, and magic not being able to heal wounds that are not caused by magic in the place, but it all rings hollow to me. Where was this side of Strange when Wong was dying from a brain tumor? Did Strange just give up, and sit by his side until he went quietly into the night. Hell no, he didn't. He fought for him. That's why I can't really buy his advice to Peter about going to May and holding her hand through her last days. It's...bull****. This isn't something I consider to be nitpicky, either. It's a full on plot and character hole that JMS is choosing to ignore for the sake of his story. I find that to be both pompous and lazy. If this is truely where he wants to take Peter, May and MJ's lives, then so be it; we can't change that. But he could at least have taken the time to craft a story that makes sense on all fronts. I get that this is supposed to be an urgent story. I get that it's dire and Peter's at his wit's end. We don't need a thought balloon to tell us that. The situation tells us that. All JMS really needs to do is craft a story that hits upon good characterization and a solid plot. In my opinion, he's running about half empty. And what's up with that last page? Is that...pre-teen MJ? Hmm...

The other half of the team is Joe Quesada. His art's better then the last issue, I'll give him that. He's very talented and he knows the human body, it's just that his "extreme" angles and expressions are sometimes so exaggerated it's more then a little distracting. He's also developed this tendency to draw the eyes on the mask like clown makeup. That's the best way I can describe it. It's pretty ugly. Miki does nice work on the inks, though, and of course Isanove rocks the colors.

This is why MB's are cool. That angle with Strange honestly slipped me upon my first read (I usually write me reviews after one read), but you're absolutely correct; Stephan hasn't let his own friends collapse into the night when it counted so it comes off a bit hypocritical that he's not out slaying some magic beast to make a potion for Peter's aunt like he did for Wong.

Like I get what Strange was saying about accepting the impending death, or rather what JMS wanted to say, because that is a factor with elderly relatives who suddenly take ill or something happens and medical science is no longer an option. But like you said, considering Strange's own past or other heroes and whatnot, it seems hypocritical and plot-convient.

And I sort of bypassed the double page spread with Spidey seemingly visitting everyone but you made more hay of it and you're right, too; like Dr. Doom wouldn't have figured some way to revive May just to try to weasel Spider-Man into a deal to help destroy the Fantastic Four (hey, it worked for their first meeting when Doom wanted to use him as an anti-Reed pawn). There are some bigger holes I didn't touch on and you have some great points here. About the art, too. But that's the least of OMD's problems.

Got a lot this week, here's a few thoughts:

Runaways- Whedon's really got me wondering how this arc will wrap up. It looks like we might get a couple new members, or maybe an old one. While the delays REALLY suck, it's a shame he won't be sticking around, honestly.

New Avengers- Well, that's a misleading cover. Good issue though. Yu rocks.

I still love Zombies covers. Suydam rocks.

I think it's awesome that OMD ties back so early into JMS' run. That was a fantastic detail.

Green Lantern 24 came out, and all I will speak about is Green Lantern 24.

I didn't look at any previews for this, or read any real heavy spoilers that wern't mostly speculation, and I'm glad. It starts off with the three lanterns on earth (John, Hal, Guy) trying to get people to realize that Sinestro's corps is comming for earth. The slash page was absolutely brilliant, except for the fact that apparntly Sodam didn't blow up that planet in GLC...Seeing Sinestro and the corps call out their pledge while raining havok all over was awesome.

Hal eventually goes and confronts Kyle/Paralax, and pretty much gets his ass handed to him, because his power level was basically at 0%. The page with Hal/Kyle/Parallax was awesome. Seeing him in his yellow and black glory was so very sweet, and I wish that I could have that as a poster somewhere in my room.

The best part about this series is that it's one of the most recent crossovers that covers JUST what the book is. Green Lantern basically just covers what's going on with Hal, GLC covers the whole corps and the whole arc of what's going on. This issue didn't have some huge fight between Sinestro and Superman Prime vs the JLA, or anything like that. It focused on Hal, Kyle, and Guy. And kinda John.

Ganthet and Sayd come in and save the day, and basically gave the four 'earth lanterns' responsibity of keeping Parallax gone, via trapping him in their four power batteries. Kyle is no longer Ion, Ganthet gives him a ring, and the four of them lay down their sacred vow, while panels of Sinestro and Anti-Moniter are there. The end page was pretty badass looking too. Except Kyle looked like he was still merged with Parallax in his face.

Honestly, if you arn't pickin up this crossover, there is something wrong with you. Every writer out there that's doing team books, or crossovers, or big story arcs, or even little one shots and such could learn from this book. It's been on time (for the most part), the books are somewhat self contained, and it's absolutely an amazing story.

9/10. Would be 9.5, but the whole painting thing was kinda lame.

PIKACHU is in Nova? AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME:wow:

also
pj said:
If there's one thing he likes more then writing women handing mean their asses, it's writing women getting there asses handed to them.
what do you propose he do instead, never have women superheroes fight:huh:

also there were several spelling and grammatical issues in pj's post which I will not specify but would like to point out in general because I am pretty, pretty, pretty cool.

He was blue, but yeah. It was awesome.

what do you propose he do instead, never have women superheroes fight:huh:

Like I said, it's either one of two extremes. Either the female character totally pwns the male character to pieces, or she's brutally raped/beaten.

Stupid Canada....no Comics for me until tomorrow.

"Oh my God... he makes you do CHORES?"

Possibly one of Molly's best lines ever. Really fantastic.

Symbiote Dr. Strange = lame :down

PUNISHER: WAR JOURNAL #12: I thought that GHOST RIDER's WWH tie-in was horribly obligatory; well, I was wrong. This is. Punisher decides to drop into WWH in the final act, although it takes place pretty much any issue after WWH #1. It involves a random bug-warrior from Sakaar who decides to break away from Hulk's invasion party and conquor in his own name (which is Mung the Inconcievable), with a bunch of random buglings with him. Punisher, in NO WAY battles or even sees the Hulk, so ignore the misleading cover. If you try to insert this into other WWH books, it probably doesn't work well. Or at all. But quite frankly this issue was so hilarious, in the actual "laugh out loud" catagory, that I didn't care. THE ORDER is Fraction's more serious solo effort and PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL has more tongue-in-cheek, which actually works for a character like Punisher. We have more poor people that the Avengers/Initiative/SHIELD "missed" in the name of Katrina, but Punisher is out to help a little girl, her family, and some homeless people escape to the ferry while he slaughters some bugs along the way. The dialogue is hilarious; while Stuart Clarke and his tech skills have easily become a video-game like Dues Ex Machina, things are too amusing to care. The concept of him making an immitation symbiote for Punisher to wear with three skulls on it shouldn't work, but it does because Fraction doesn't try to play it other than for some dark humor. Too many stories were hand ringing urban chillers with Punisher and those are a dime a dozen. And yes, a weapon after The Fighter from 8-BIT THEATRE'S heart, a "gun that shoots swords". Okay, okay, Olivetti merely makes it look like it simply shoots large knives, but is IS incredibly cool, in that macho, over the top way. And that is how this title works best; Punisher is a bit of an over-the-top, simplistic character and sometimes playing things too seriously stiffens him, as well as endless battles with the mafia. So why not supervillians and hulking aliens that he KILLS WITH THEIR OWN ARMS in ghetto symbiote armor? Somehow, Fraction makes it work without being pompus about it. There is some heart as in Castle's own twisted way, "he is here to help", and he does this once. Each line seemed to get funnier and funnier. It is Punisher vs. Aliens with chainsaws, guns, swords, and guns-that-shoot-swords. After seething with fanboy rage after OMD/NEW AVENGERS, this issue officially popped the balloon with chuckles. More like this, please. If any character deserves to be used like Brock Samson, why not Castle? Beats fighting the mafia every twelve seconds (you'd think there'd be none left, really, after 30 years of shooting them).

I'm glad there's someone else who sees the hilarity in this book. Fraction and Olivetti have essentially made the Punisher into more of a comedy then it has ever been before. I'd totally go see a Punisher movie with this vibe. And the really great thing about it, is that Frank's personality is still spot on. It's the situations that Fraction puts him in that are ridiculous. Half the time, Frank can't believe it, himself.

This is great book, and one that I've come to look forward to each month. I'm sad to see Olivetti go, but I'm looking forward to Cory Walker's 3 issue stint.

Wolverine #58(?) cover just about the best art I've seen in a long time. Loved it. Makes up for the so-so art and storyline inside.

Dumping Wonder Woman yet again. How many identity crises can she go thru?

New Avengers - getting to be my favorite book these days.

I'm glad there's someone else who sees the hilarity in this book. Fraction and Olivetti have essentially made the Punisher into more of a comedy then it has ever been before. I'd totally go see a Punisher movie with this vibe. And the really great thing about it, is that Frank's personality is still spot on. It's the situations that Fraction puts him in that are ridiculous. Half the time, Frank can't believe it, himself.

This is great book, and one that I've come to look forward to each month. I'm sad to see Olivetti go, but I'm looking forward to Cory Walker's 3 issue stint.

Yeah, whatever, it sucks dude.

Anyone who read #12 and still thinks it sucks has nothing to offer anyone about anything.

Well good thing I didn't read it, because yeah, the title sucks.

It's a humor book. I don't understand how people could hate unless they have no sense of humor.

It's a humor book. I don't understand how people could hate unless they have no sense of humor.

Or don't think it's funny, or is supposed to be funny, or was marketed as being a "humor book".

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"