Bought/Thought November 11th, 2009 --SPOILERS

More reviews:

Sword #1: It's been talked about enough on here. I was going into this not expecting much. Needless to say, I was blown away. Unlike with Strange #1, the humor in this book worked great, especially with the use of classic charcters, like Lockhead and Death's Head. Sure, Beast looked a little strange; but, this first issue was so good, I didn't mind. Even the bonus comic (bonus my butt! It would be a bonus if it was $2.99) was good. Maybe this comic will bring Kitty back eventually.

Ender's Game- Command School #3: This is such an awesome book!!! I keep saying it; but, I think I'm the only person reading it on The Hype. I dare someone to read both of the first two minis that have come out, Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, and not be hooked. In this issue, Ender graduates to Command School, only to be severely effected by events in the boy's bathroom before leaving Battle School.

Punisher Max #1: As Punisher Max and Punisher Marvel Knights is separate from the 616, it's neat when a character make a first appearance, who is normally well known to most of us readers. In this first issue, we get the first appearance of The Kingpin. Great beginning! And, is that Nick Fury that Wilson Fisk is talking to at the end of this issue??

Daredevil #502: Andy Diggle does another good issue...though I do feel it's a small step down from what we've seen with Brubaker. I think Brubaker really understood Daredevil and his history, and encorporated his rich cast of characters into his story. (How cool to see such characters, like Turk and Dakota North return.) With Diggle, we get an interesting story of Daredevil leading the Hand; but, it's really missing that extra touch that Brubaker brings to his comics. Still, this is a good issue.

Although not really about the comics I bought themselves, let me share my thoughts on my comic shop:

It sucks.

After 14 years I'm beginning to get very frustrated with that dump. Every week now, EVERY WEEK, the shop gets "shorted" books and I have to go through my list to tell them what to have brought in from their other stores. Every flipping week. Not to mention it's NOT indie friendly, so the only times I get to sample small press is when I go to cons and meet creators. Plus, I had special ordered a book 2 months before it was due to come out. It took me over a month AFTER it came out to finally get the damn thing.

So why haven't I jumped ship yet? Convenience, sadly. The shop is mere blocks from my house. Any other shop would require a 20 minute train ride or more. I AM considering it, though. If for nothing more than to get away from this guy who fits EVERY negative stereotype of a comic fan you've ever heard. ANNOYING little...

The fact that they don't bother with the indies would make me go the extra mile...

:csad:

Although not really about the comics I bought themselves, let me share my thoughts on my comic shop:

It sucks.

After 14 years I'm beginning to get very frustrated with that dump. Every week now, EVERY WEEK, the shop gets "shorted" books and I have to go through my list to tell them what to have brought in from their other stores. Every flipping week. Not to mention it's NOT indie friendly, so the only times I get to sample small press is when I go to cons and meet creators. Plus, I had special ordered a book 2 months before it was due to come out. It took me over a month AFTER it came out to finally get the damn thing.

So why haven't I jumped ship yet? Convenience, sadly. The shop is mere blocks from my house. Any other shop would require a 20 minute train ride or more. I AM considering it, though. If for nothing more than to get away from this guy who fits EVERY negative stereotype of a comic fan you've ever heard. ANNOYING little...

Are we talking about GALAXY COMICS, which used to be MUTANT MANIA III?

Because if so, I do share your pain of having to chase some comics to their other shop or around Brooklyn or Manhattan, pull list or not. It is why that if I don't have at least $15 worth of books to qualify for the 10% discount on some weeks, I shop elsewhere. ;)

SWORD #1, not surprisingly, is getting good reviews here. Sorry, gang, but I can't bare with Beast being drawn like a goat. I have heard someone claim that perhaps Sander was trying to make him look a bit like the Pink Panther, but when we have to use art-house style philosophy to figure out how a 45 year old character is supposed to be drawn, I lose interest in the rest. Beast would have been my only reason for buying. Oh, well.

Last edited:
I did not expect Death's Head to look like that. While it's not bad, it was unexpected. I've drawn the original version so many times, seeing a redesign (at least they kept the basic coloring and shape there, but the head is so different) is a but of a shock. Still. What do I care, as long as DH is around and continuing to keep the galaxy safe for profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"